Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question about the Raiders brim

ninman

One of the Regulars
So, I tried to put a proper raiders bash into my new Fed 4, but the brim doesn't droop in the rear like Indy's does. I was just wondering how you can get that really nice sweep and droop that he gets in his hat? I mean at both the front and the rear.

Not sure which movie you are trying to recreate, but a side view will give you a better sense of the brim flange than the front view. From the front, with the hat pushed back, it might appear that the brim is snapped both front and back.

Have fun!

mobile-indiana_jones-library_02-661d129799ee.jpg

jones-dining.0.0.jpg

ninman

One of the Regulars
Not sure which movie you are trying to recreate, but a side view will give you a better sense of the brim flange than the front view. From the front, with the hat pushed back, it might appear that the brim is snapped both front and back.

Have fun!

mobile-indiana_jones-library_02-661d129799ee.jpg

jones-dining.0.0.jpg

Yes, but you see in the second photo in Cairo the rear brim is drooping down quite heavily compared to the one in the Nepal above it. How do you get that really heavy dip in the rear brim in the Cairo hat?

The flange is a mess in the second picture. But to get this effect, wear the hat way back on your head and snap the brim way down in the front. And experiment with the angle of your phone when you take selfies until you find the look you are after.

ninman

One of the Regulars
The flange is a mess in the second picture. But to get this effect, wear the hat way back on your head and snap the brim way down in the front. And experiment with the angle of your phone when you take selfies until you find the look you are after.

What I'm confused about is that I can't wear my hat as low as he's got it. He has the brim almost touching his ear, but my hat won't go that far down on my head because my head touches the inside of the hat.

Also, if I want to make the rear flange on my hat look like a mess too, how do I do that?

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
my man .... this is like your 50th thread about shaping this Fed IV into a Raiders hat and since the first one I have been telling you that your hat will not ever be a Raiders hat ... no matter how hard you try ...

sorry my friend but it is the truth

you have to realize that the hat you have will not ... I repeat ... will not react like the felt of the Herbert Johnson hat that Harrison Ford wears in Raiders ... just will not happen

I understand your obsession ... many people have it ... but most save their money and get a proper Raiders hat from one of the makers known for making replicas of this hat

I promise you ... as I have told you in the first of your plethora of threads trying to get this shape ... a FedIV will not react like the Raiders hat ... no matter how hard you try

so again ... as I have typed in many of your threads ... I recommend you stop trying to turn a Donkey into a Triple Crown pure bread .... you are trying to make a hat something it is simply not

if you are as obsessed as all these threads suggest you are then save some coin and get a Raiders hat .... either that or accept that an Akubra FedIV will never react the way the hat in the movie reacts

Last edited:

ninman

One of the Regulars
The other threads I made were about the DM Akubra Adventurer. I thought the Fed 4 was designed to look like the Raiders hat.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
The other threads I made were about the DM Akubra Adventurer. I thought the Fed 4 was designed to look like the Raiders hat.

I have a FedIV and it is absolutely nothing like my Penman Raiders ... the only way it could be more different is if it was a stingy brim straw

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Ok, but what if I can't afford a Penman Raiders hat?

if you didn't buy the first two you would be 3/4of the way there

we live and learn ...

and if you can't afford it ... which I completely understand ... then you have to accept that the hats you have will not be as screen accurate as you want them to be

my advice is ... bash your hats with the shape you want and wear them ... enjoy them with a style that is your own or call @bendingoak

that or just have fun continuing to try ... that is what this is all about ... I'm just telling you that you will not get screen accuracy

ninman

One of the Regulars
if you didn't buy the first two you would be 3/4of the way there

we live and learn ...

and if you can't afford it ... which I completely understand ... then you have to accept that the hats you have will not be as screen accurate as you want them to be

my advice is ... bash your hats with the shape you want and wear them ... enjoy them with a style that is your own or call @bendingoak

that or just have fun continuing to try ... that is what this is all about ... I'm just telling you that you will not get screen accuracy

Ok great, but that still doesn't answer my question, which is how he got the rear brim to droop so much in the Cairo hat.

Ok great, but that still doesn't answer my question, which is how he got the rear brim to droop so much in the Cairo hat.

IN all seriousness ninman, what you are asking doesn't have a set answer. You can't do a, followed by b, and c, and get the exact look you want.

Harrison Ford had an army of prop managers, wardrobe designers, photographers, and lighting experts all working in concert to convey the look the hat has on the screen. If it didn't look exactly right in a shot, I'm sure they adjusted some things and then filmed the scene. The hat was likely different from different angles throughout the course of the film. From that perspective, Alan's comment about camera angles is spot on.

Additionally, the hat is supposed to be a representation of a well-worn hat. You have a new hat. You see in the above video, the fellow has painted enamel on the hat to mimic the dirt look Indy has on his hat. Now, maybe that's just the kind of thing you're looking for, but personally, I'm not going to trash one of my Akubras that way. Nope not gonna do it.

Now, if you wear the hat daily for 7-8 years, in all weather, and "mistreat it" in the correct way, you may just get yourself to a look that at least captures the spirit of the Indy Raiders hat. It will be beat up, dirty, droopy, and have tons of "character." It may not look exactly like Indy's hat, but it will look like ninman's well-worn fedora. That may be better, in the end. Put your own mark on it. Hell, the folks walking down the street are only going to notice it looks like Indy's hat in the general sense. I've seen all the Indy movies multiple times, Watched the Young Indy chronicles, and consider myself a fan. And I never heard of the "Raiders Turn" until I joined this forum. Believe me, 98% of the movie-going public has never heard of the "Raiders Turn," Herbert Johnson, or notices the droop in the back. They see a brown fedora and think "Indiana Jones!"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24