Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question on Sunglasses

Maguire

Practically Family
I've seen some threads with various sunglasses discussed, but none of them adequately answered a specific question that came to mind so i figured i'd be straightfoward. I'm a big fan of the way Captain Vidal from Pan's Labyrinth was played and carried himself. I particularly liked the sunglasses (and i believe the director did too, as he made a big point of one shot that really was only there to show off the Captain's "style") he wears in one scene. These seem pretty standard sunglasses of the time, does anyone know anything regarding the brand or exact style, or where they could be found now?

Here are some screenshots
capture2.jpg

capture3.jpg

capture4.jpg

thank you, gentleman.

Maguire

Practically Family
Wait for me to post the pictures!! :(

It seems photobucket is still down (figures, the time i actually go out of my way to take a screenshot or two, this happens)

I'll post them when i wake up in a few hours. basically i was hoping for a particular "style" name. For example, i could easily say 1950s glasses when i mean browline, hornrimmed, etc. I've tried just typing in "old fashioned" or "vintage" and usually the result is a whole bunch of different types and i don't know which is which. But i got a few close shots etc that may be able to help give a better description.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
I've seen pictures of him.

The round frame sunglasses were popular from around WW1, up to around WW2.
There is one "name" for this style(that I know of), or a style of round lensed, metal framed frames and that is "Windsor", "Windsor Frame", "Windsor Rim". They are silver, nickel, gold coloured, have a nose saddle, rather than "nose pads" and wrap-over(around the ear), flexible temples.

"John Lennon style"- although people generally include the older, smaller framed ones in this description- the smaller framed/lense ones are often referred to as "Civil War" style. You can get cheap "Lennon" style sunglasses.

"Lennon Sunglasses" on eBay yields a lot of results- some very cheap, some actual vintage pieces which could have been better categorised.

http://search.ebay.com/lennon-sunglasses_W0QQfromZR40QQfrtsZ0

But you probably want green lenses, rather than purple- and flexible-ear temples.

B
T

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Captain Vidal...

pan_lab_9.jpg
-Captain Vidal

I have a pair similar to these. They're not unlike what
Nicolas Cage wore in 'National Treasure'. Not quite round in the
'Lennon specs' sense, but a very vintage look. I love mine.
18a-sml.jpg
-Nick
Joe25thOct2007.jpg
-Me

-dixon cannon

Edward

Bartender
For what it's worth..... last year I bought a pair of 1930s prescription glasses in this style with the intention of replacing the lenses and turning them into sunglasses. I got them for GBP0.99 on eBay.... Seems to me that sometimes the old spectacles sell for much, much less than same-era sunglasses - mght be cheaper in the long run to do that and have them re-lensed by a local optician (would also mean you have your choice of lens colour, and can be certain that you have full UVA/UVB protection, which is important if you intend to actually put them to use...).

Maguire

Practically Family
Edward said:
For what it's worth..... last year I bought a pair of 1930s prescription glasses in this style with the intention of replacing the lenses and turning them into sunglasses. I got them for GBP0.99 on eBay.... Seems to me that sometimes the old spectacles sell for much, much less than same-era sunglasses - mght be cheaper in the long run to do that and have them re-lensed by a local optician (would also mean you have your choice of lens colour, and can be certain that you have full UVA/UVB protection, which is important if you intend to actually put them to use...).
And how much would those there lenses cost. Oh yes, and i've put up those there screenshots i was referring to. Thanks for the advice.

Dixon Cannon- the last set of photos doesn't look like the same sunglasses. They are as you said, Lennon lenses, much larger than the originals

Edward

Bartender
Maguire said:
And how much would those there lenses cost. Oh yes, and i've put up those there screenshots i was referring to. Thanks for the advice.

Dixon Cannon- the last set of photos doesn't look like the same sunglasses. They are as you said, Lennon lenses, much larger than the originals

I've not had mine done yet, but from memory you should be able to get them in somewhere like Specsavers for about twenty quid or so.... compared to the price of a decent pair of modern sunglasses, not bad overall.

Edit: oops, just realised you're in the US..... probably means you could have them done cheaper than anywhere over here, then!

Maguire

Practically Family
I had a question on sunglasseS (again) and i ifgured i'd just revive this thread as it is in the same spirit. I'm basically looking for sunglasses like shown in the intial post, but i'm interested in what they are called when they have those protective flaps around the lense. I believe the sheriff in O Brother Where Art Thou wears sunglasses exactly like this. They almost give it a goggle effect. Any ideas? I'm sure this is the place where someone would know.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/adamdbradley/1723066745/ this shows them.

Geesie

Practically Family
BellyTank said:
I've seen pictures of him.

The round frame sunglasses were popular from around WW1, up to around WW2.
There is one "name" for this style(that I know of), or a style of round lensed, metal framed frames and that is "Windsor", "Windsor Frame", "Windsor Rim". They are silver, nickel, gold coloured, have a nose saddle, rather than "nose pads" and wrap-over(around the ear), flexible temples.

"John Lennon style"- although people generally include the older, smaller framed ones in this description- the smaller framed/lense ones are often referred to as "Civil War" style. You can get cheap "Lennon" style sunglasses.

"Lennon Sunglasses" on eBay yields a lot of results- some very cheap, some actual vintage pieces which could have been better categorised.

http://search.ebay.com/lennon-sunglasses_W0QQfromZR40QQfrtsZ0

But you probably want green lenses, rather than purple- and flexible-ear temples.

B
T

Okay, the cheap ones in the eBay search are pages of "PICTURE OF JOHN LENNON, FREE SUNGLASSES WITH PURCHASE"

Is there some legal weirdness going on? [huh]

Alexi

One of the Regulars
this pair is very dark as I use them for winter climbing, i have a buddy who collects vintage pairs (Bolle mostly), they have a tendency to be rounder, where as mine are more aviator. The leather and very dark tint (many pairs are specifically not recommended for driving due to their dark tint) help prevent glare and snow-blindness when climbing glaciers.
photo40f.jpg

photo41i.jpg

sorry if this doesn't make sense I'm very very tired (and a wee bit tight)

Maguire

Practically Family
That picture makes sense. Those are some nice frames :D. But i'm looking for the round ones in particular, i already own a few aviators. You really think the John Lennon ones would work? I'm afraid they'd be too big and doofy.

Edward

Bartender
For the goggle style, try search terms involving 'steampunk', I've seen quite a few advertised that way. Course, that has also pushed the prices up....

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
John Lennon

I notice a lot of references to the round sunglasses of the 60s as John Lennon glasses. Back then every one I knew referred to them as Granny Glasses! I do not know if this was from the Beverly Hillbillies or just elderly women. I know, because at around that time I turned 11 and you guessed it, I needed glasses! I begged my mother to let me get Granny Glasses, I was almost in tears, but to no avail, it was the ugly black mens plastic for me. I got in a lot of fights needless to say in the next few years! The ultimate square. I asked my mother a few years back why she wouldn't relent, she said it was because my dad was wearing Grannies when he went into the Army Air Corp, and the plastic frames were just comming into style, she didn't want me to get teased! Funny how styles come and go, now I have a pair of Ray Ban Wayfarer, and I'm looking for some Clubmasters!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany