Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

questions about Panama Bob's Cuenca Caballero

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
I like the looks of this style and am thinking of making this my summer hat.

First question, does anyone know the brim width on the Cuenca Caballero? How about the crown height? It seems to be the closest thing to a fedora shape that I have found in a panama hat

Second question, between the Fino Brisa Weave and the Fino Llano Cuenca, there's a $60 difference. I'm not into buying expensive just because it *might* be better. Is there a durability difference between the two weaves to justify more than twice the price?

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Blackthorn said:

First question, does anyone know the brim width on the Cuenca Caballero? How about the crown height? It seems to be the closest thing to a fedora shape that I have found in a panama hat

Second question, between the Fino Brisa Weave and the Fino Llano Cuenca, there's a $60 difference. I'm not into buying expensive just because it *might* be better. Is there a durability difference between the two weaves to justify more than twice the price?
Thanks, CRH. Did you get the Caballero style, too?

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Blackthorn said:
Thanks, CRH. Did you get the Caballero style, too?

Of course!

3957080254_2854d6f0eb.jpg

KY_RudeBoy

Familiar Face
Blackthorn said:

The Cuenca Caballero I just received has a brim width of 2.5 in the front and 2 5/8 on the sides (it appears to be slightly "out of round" but I didn't notice until I measured it just now). The crown height is 4 7/8 at the front and 3 5/8 at the back. See this link for pictures, just ignore my comment about it being a Montecristi. I misunderstood the eBay listing.
It's a great hat and I imagine that it will feel great this summer.
As far as which weave it is, I think it is the Fino Brisa based on what I paid for it, so I can't comment on the Fino Llano.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
KY_RudeBoy said:
The Cuenca Caballero I just received has a brim width of 2.5 in the front and 2 5/8 on the sides (it appears to be slightly "out of round" but I didn't notice until I measured it just now). The crown height is 4 7/8 at the front and 3 5/8 at the back. See this link for pictures, just ignore my comment about it being a Montecristi. I misunderstood the eBay listing.
It's a great hat and I imagine that it will feel great this summer.
As far as which weave it is, I think it is the Fino Brisa based on what I paid for it, so I can't comment on the Fino Llano.
Perfect, thanks KY Rudeboy.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Caballero

The ribbon was just floating loose on the hat. This one will be getting a royal blue pug. Various loose ends to trim off. I use fingernail clippers.

This thing was pretty noodly - kind of like trying to handle a whisper. I lightly sprayed it with water to give it some scream.

The crown has some fairly severe concave tapering, 4 1/4 at the front pinch. I'll see how it looks after some wear. Maybe Tom Gomez can take a shot at it later?

hpim2273.jpg

hpim2272.jpg

hpim2271d.jpg

hpim2274.jpg

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Panamabob said:
Which auction was this? Was it this one? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330423068494

This is the second hat, different maker, this week that the customer said the band was off. I can send you a pug.

Ahhh... Yah, that's the one. For what I paid for it I certainly have no room to complain. I had planned on putting a pug on anyway, a royal blue one. But given this photo, royal blue might be a little in your face, so to speak.

hpim2277u.jpg

Do you have any black pugs, Bob? :eek:

Fellas, your hat will not arrive with a brim that looks like this! That's your job. ;)

indycop

I'll Lock Up
CRH said:
Ahhh... Yah, that's the one. For what I paid for it I certainly have no room to complain. I had planned on putting a pug on anyway, a royal blue one. But given this photo, royal blue might be a little in your face, so to speak.
Send it to Tom for a navy ribbon!

KY_RudeBoy

Familiar Face
CRH said:
This thing was pretty noodly - kind of like trying to handle a whisper. I lightly sprayed it with water to give it some scream.

THAT is a great description!

Where can I get a pug? :D

KY_RudeBoy

Familiar Face
CRH said:
hpim2277u.jpg

Fellas, your hat will not arrive with a brim that looks like this! That's your job. ;)
So very true CRH. I think we should have taken before pictures to show what the brim can do when you first put one on. :) Mine went crazy.

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
I think we go through this every year. USA blocking/flanging is the way to go on our hats for the perfect lid. On ebay hats, very little is done save for pulling the hat out of the box and checking the size. Keeps prices low and eBay, for us, allows us to attract those looking for non-high priced hats. You can buy a new Borsalino with the same weave, lots of stiffener, an overwelt, a nicer band, and pay $185.00 to $200.00.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
KY_RudeBoy said:
So very true CRH. I think we should have taken before pictures to show what the brim can do when you first put one on. :) Mine went crazy.

Actually this one didn't misbehave. It just really didn't do much of anything. A little water and steam took it from this

644eeyore-posters.jpg

to this

shrek-donkey1.jpg

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Panamabob said:
...Keeps prices low and eBay, for us, allows us to attract those looking for non-high priced hats. ...

Ahhh... Hello!

There is certainly a USA blocked Monte in my future, however.

This is my second inexpensive PHM Cuenca. I actually prefer these cloth sweats over leather once the temps get sweltering. They are perfect for bopping around the yard or tromping through a hardwood jungle. I'm as likely as not to end up watching a hat float down a river or get blown across a lake. If it doesn't come back or comes back with a few teeth marks then no frets. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy