Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Questions About the United States Navy Peacoat

wetmarble

New in Town
I just found this tag on ebay:

pea388.jpg

The last 3 digits (which I think are a year indicator) are difficult to read. My guess goes to C-53

Peacoat

Bartender
In looking at my research notes, I find that tag is consistent with those issued in 1953, so I think the you are right about the "C-53" being the code for 1953.

acoustics

New in Town
Vintage Peacoat Buttons

One of the buttons on my peacoat's slightly damaged and I was wondering if anyone here knows where I can get replacements for them? No luck on ebay.
The button has a small eagle on top, one horse on each side, and between the horses is a crest-like symbol.

dougie

New in Town
Great info in this thread. I got a WW2-issue coat at the beginning of the season. Outwardly it's in perfect shape but when I got it there were a couple of holes in the lining; some in the seams and some where the lining creased naturally, such as at the bottom. I took it to a cleaner/tailor and had him fix all the holes. I've worn it pretty much every day since and new holes have opened up in the lining. It's clear this is going to be an ongoing problem. I'd feel terrible having it relined entirely but do I have any other choice?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Try Tender Buttons. E-mail a photo and they may be able to make a match.

Tender Buttons:
Chicago 312-337-7033
New York 212-758-7004

Dakota

New in Town
WWI pea coat

Take a look at this WWI pea coat that some one has listed on ebay. The item # is 280092569449. It looks to definitely be from WWI. It has the 10 buttons on the front with the anchor in the middle and the 13 stars around the anchor. It also has the neck strap underneath the collar on the left side. I'm thinking about bidding on it. The seller said the wool is okay and is not eat up with moth holes but that the lining has some rips and wear in it. I looked at the pictures that the seller has posted and I think it would be hard to find a WWI pea coat in this good of condition, even with the lining having issues. I'll have to see how high the bidding gets upto. The reserve price is only $40.00 and the seller is willing to lower that.
Let me know what any of you think about it. And if any of you decide to bid on it too, all's fair. Maybe we'll have a bidding war!

Dakota

Peacoat

Bartender
It is old alright, but I would ask him why he thinks it is WWI. As you know, often times the dating by sellers is just a wild guess. Also, I would ask him to measure across the chest, from arm pit to arm pit, again. If it is a 38, it should be 20 inches across the chest, and not what he posted. Certainly has my interest, but I won't bid on it because you were nice enough to show it to us, and it is not my size!

Dakota

New in Town
The seller told me that he got it from an estate sale and the owners verified that it was from WWI. It belonged to a great uncle or a great great uncle, something like that. He said they also had lots of other WWI military collectibles. The buttons on it too are from the WWI era.
I asked the seller about the size again and he said he was guessing it was about a 38 by the way it fit him. He said it is somewhat too small like his modern military issue size 38 pea coat. He retook the measurements and got the same thing.
I have seen only one other WWI pea coat on ebay about a year ago and this one looks identical to it except the other one's liner was in better condition. It too had the 10 buttons on the front with the 13 stars. That one went for over $200.00. I remember because I had bid on it and got out bid.

wetmarble

New in Town
According to this site: http://www.quarterdeck.org/uniforms/uniforms.htm there was a uniform code released in 1922. I haven't seen the regulations, but I'm guessing this was the year that they changed the button style, which would potentially date the coat in the auction to pre 1922. However, I don't see any other features on the WW1 era coat that distinguishes it from the WW2 era coats, which means it is conceivable that someone could simply sew older buttons onto a WW2 era coat.

I just purchased a 1920s era peacoat on ebay (ebay#190087151920), which is dated based on a family history. It has the newer style of buttons which would indicate it is post 1922. It hasn't arrived yet, but I'm eager to receive it to compare with my WW2 era coats.

Good luck in the auction. I'm glad it this WW1 coat doesn't fit me so I don't have the dilemma of whether or not to bid on it.

Dakota

New in Town
I asked the seller about the buttons. He said they look original to the coat. He said the thread used to sew them on is very old looking. He said based on what the family who owned the coat told him about it and along with the other WWI military clothing and items they had, he fully believes the coat is from the WWI era.

jj

New in Town
I've seen similar buttons on bridge coats, which are longer but similar to peacoats. It's possible that someone replaced the original buttons on your coat before you got it. If you'd like, I will keep an eye out for any coats with buttons like that - if I find one I'll have to buy the whole coat but I can hack off and send you the buttons.

Peacoat

Bartender
jj said:
I've seen similar buttons on bridge coats, which are longer but similar to peacoats. It's possible that someone replaced the original buttons on your coat before you got it. If you'd like, I will keep an eye out for any coats with buttons like that - if I find one I'll have to buy the whole coat but I can hack off and send you the buttons.

The officer's bridge coat button is similar in design to the pewter button posted below, except that it is gold. Different design from what he is looking for. I have seen thousands of peacoat/bridge coat buttons, and they all follow one of about four different designs. None of them is what he is looking for.

If he could post a picture of the tag, or at least describe it, that would be a big help in knowing what we are dealing with.

1974coat--goeswithtag.jpg

Peacoat

Bartender
wetmarble said:
I just purchased a 1920s era peacoat on ebay (ebay#190087151920), which is dated based on a family history. It has the newer style of buttons which would indicate it is post 1922. It hasn't arrived yet, but I'm eager to receive it to compare with my WW2 era coats.
QUOTE]

You stole that one! And it was my size, too. It should be about a 42. Do the people at VLJ know you have been sneaking around over here?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic