Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Questions About the United States Navy Peacoat

jacketquest

Familiar Face
Hi Guys,

Thanks for posting all the great info on peacoats! Very interesting and informative indeed. This past winter I had been trying to find a good peacoat off and on but did not manage to. Now that spring is here I finally managed to win one on ebay. I don't have the coat yet but the description says "CONTRACT DA-36-243-QM (CTM)2678, MENS 42 AND "US NAVY", which from the info here would date it to the 60's sometime? Hopefully it's in good condition.

I have also wondered if anyone has the Navy specification(s) for the peacoat, similar to the G-1 7823/A/B/C/D/ES etc?

Peacoat

Bartender
jacketquest said:
Hi Guys,

Thanks for posting all the great info on peacoats! Very interesting and informative indeed. This past winter I had been trying to find a good peacoat off and on but did not manage to. Now that spring is here I finally managed to win one on ebay. I don't have the coat yet but the description says "CONTRACT DA-36-243-QM (CTM)2678, MENS 42 AND "US NAVY", which from the info here would date it to the 60's sometime? Hopefully it's in good condition.

I have also wondered if anyone has the Navy specification(s) for the peacoat, similar to the G-1 7823/A/B/C/D/ES etc?

Your coat may be a 1965 version. Some of the earlier years using the US NAVY tag had the date coded in the contract number. I know that 1965 did not, and maybe '64 and '63? Seems that I have seen the date coded in the 1962 model. So, that narrows it down for you.

Have not seen the specs for the various contract numbers. Probably exist somewhere, but I don't know where they would be. Really not much change from 1947 until they did away with the corduroy pocket linings in '67. The next big change was when the black buttons changed to pewter in about 1976, and again in about 1978 when the type of wool was changed to the Melton style.

jacketquest

Familiar Face
Thanks for the info.

On a somewhat related note, how should the peacoat fit in terms of sleeve length? Where should the cuff break? Is it meant to be long enough cover part of the hand or should it break right around the wrist area?

Peacoat

Bartender
jacketquest said:
Thanks for the info.

On a somewhat related note, how should the peacoat fit in terms of sleeve length? Where should the cuff break? Is it meant to be long enough cover part of the hand or should it break right around the wrist area?

As you aren't wearing it as part of a uniform, it is a matter of personal preference. I like for my peacoats to cover all of the wrist and stop where the hand joins the wrist. Although for me it is comfortable for the coat to cover some of the hand. I would rather it be too long than too short.

My first peacoat was given to me by my brother in law back in about 1971. It was a little short in the sleeves then, and never got any longer. Since then I have been sensitive to sleeves that are too short. But it is a matter of what you like.

jacketquest

Familiar Face
Update: I received the peacoat. It's in excellent condition. It needs a dry cleaning but the wool is in perfect condition otherwise, likewise the lining. The pockets are lined in brown corduroy.

d4dfac61.jpg

5cfc2c24.jpg

dfa2f000.jpg

31f233a7.jpg

jacketquest

Familiar Face
Peacoat said:
My favorite year, and just my size. Wish I had seen it!

Sorry but I'm glad you didn't. :)

It's off to the cleaners today. Hopefully I can still get some use out of it this year. If not, a trip up to San Francisco is in order. It's peacoat weather there year 'round.

Eric Meyer

New in Town
Hey Fellas
What is a fair price for a 60's peacoat. I'm going to sell mine, it's too small :mad: now and we are moving. It's got cordeuroy (sp?) pockets and I got it in 1967 I think. The lining is torn in a few places but it still looks good. The label says US navy depot but the letters on the lines are too worn to read. the stencil of the guy that I bought it from are on the lining. It kept my warm and looking good for many years. I put it up in the classified section but no one seems interested.
Thanks
Eric
finetuning@aol.com

Peacoat

Bartender
Eric Meyer said:
Hey Fellas
What is a fair price for a 60's peacoat. I'm going to sell mine, it's too small :mad: now and we are moving. It's got cordeuroy (sp?) pockets and I got it in 1967 I think. The lining is torn in a few places but it still looks good. The label says US navy depot but the letters on the lines are too worn to read. the stencil of the guy that I bought it from are on the lining. It kept my warm and looking good for many years. I put it up in the classified section but no one seems interested.
Thanks
Eric
finetuning@aol.com

I would be surprised if it says "US Navy Depot," as I have never seen that wording on a label. Perhaps it says "Naval Clothing Depot?" If so, that would be a late forties or early fifties label--just off the top of my head without checking my notes, or my peacoats.

This is the wrong time of year to sell a peacoat. Wait until the late fall, early winter. Also you will have a larger audience on ebay than the local paper.

green papaya

One Too Many
I sold a used size 40 USN pea coat on ebay last year before Christmas for $28.00 buy it now

my geuss is it's worth $30 - $35 because it's a size small

small sizes dont have as much value as large sizes

Eric Meyer

New in Town
You're right Peacoat, it's Naval Clothing Depot. I'd be amazed if the coat was that old. I remember asking my friend in the Navy to get me a coat. He must have bought it off another sailor and it seemed brand new at the time. I think I payed him $45 for it which wasn't cheap back then. I used to wear it around Boston in the winter of 1971, trolling for girls. I loved that pinched waist and double breast--and warm. I'm afraid a pinched waist size 40 doen't work for me anymore.:(

Peacoat

Bartender
Eric Meyer said:
You're right Peacoat, it's Naval Clothing Depot. I'd be amazed if the coat was that old. I remember asking my friend in the Navy to get me a coat. He must have bought it off another sailor and it seemed brand new at the time. I think I payed him $45 for it which wasn't cheap back then. I used to wear it around Boston in the winter of 1971, trolling for girls. I loved that pinched waist and double breast--and warm. I'm afraid a pinched waist size 40 doen't work for me anymore.:(

Yes, it's that old. Those labels weren't made after the early to mid fifties. Properly worn and stored they can look brand new for sixty or more years. I have a 1949 coat that looks like it just came from the Quartermaster.

Interesting that you were wearing that coat, a size forty, in 1971. I had my first peacoat, also a forty, in 1971. I can still wear that coat, but the shoulders and arms are a bit tight today. I now wear a forty two. Don't sell it, save it for the memories.

Flattery

New in Town
Hello everyone.

I was very excited to have come across this thread. Very interesting and informative! I just purchased a pristine 1951 USN pea coat for $65 from a friend's uncle. I've no pictures yet (I haven't received the coat in the mail)... the seller says that the label reads "Naval Clothing Company," although I'm positive "company" is really "factory." I can confirm this at some point.

This thread sparked my curiosity, so I dug my Navy pea coat out from storage and looked at the label. My original issue coat was a size too big (they thought I'd gain more weight than I did while in boot camp), so I bought another one in 2003. I've confirmed the contract number as the Sterlingwear 1990 contract... but there's no indication as to when the coat was actually made (if not in 1990), unless it had been sitting around for years before I bought it. It was brand new (and still appears that way), with no stenciling or anything written on it until after I bought it at the Navy Exchange.

Here's the label:

Anyone have any idea when this coat was made?

Even though the current issue pea coats are not nearly as dense as older ones, it is still quite warm. I remember sleeping on airport terminal benches, head up against my seabag, covered with my coat. Very toasty. I do wish the Navy issued old-style pea coats, though. On a very cold day in Chicago, these new ones will only keep you warm so much -- depending on if one layers properly.

I'll post pictures of the 1951 coat when I'm able.

Cheers,
~Flattery

green papaya

One Too Many
the tag numbers indicate this coat was made in 1990

Contract No. DLA 100-90-C-4049

90-C is 1990 contract date / manufacture, it sat in storage for about 13 years

jgilbert

One of the Regulars
how should a pea coat fit?

Been reading this thread for awhile and I would like to know how should it fit?
Most of the coats look box like for lack of a better term. Or should there, and if so, how much of a taper?

I plan to wear it with a heavy turtle neck sweater.

Thanks

Flattery

New in Town
Hi jgilbert.

As a general rule, I would get one size larger than your actual size. I'm just a little guy -- a USN peacoat size 34R fits me like a glove, but I wear a 36 to accommodate heavy sweaters and hooded sweatshirts. I can wear my 34R fine with sweaters and such, but it's tight. The range of movement is better when wearing my size 36 coat.

My coat tapers just a little in line with the pockets. The taper isn't terribly apparent unless I have both of my hands in my pockets. I would think any authentic USN peacoat would appear box-like when standing idle with your hands at your sides, but I can't speak too intelligently about older coats. Hopefully someone else will chime in here with additional advice.

Sterlingwear (current USN peacoat supplier) coats are extremely fitted, and they recommend going up at least 1 size for a comfortable fit. (See here: http://www.sterlingwear.com./sizechart.html)

Cheers,
~Flattery

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats