Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Questions About the United States Navy Peacoat

acoustics

New in Town
The tag, which is white in colour, reads as:
PEACOAT, WOOL, MAN'S
CONTRACT: #2125-710100
SPECIFICATION:#6173-710100
STYLE:#MP72132
ISSUE: 1 EACH
CARE: DRY CLEAN, STANDARD METHOD
SOURCE LOCATION: MADE IN U.S.A.

Peacoat

Bartender
That's not an issue coat, but it is made in USA, according to the label. The ones like this that I have seen all have had the standard black anchor buttons. Don't know where these buttons came from. You could replace them all with the standard 1 1/4" anchor buttons.

wetmarble

New in Town
Ok, here's a label you guys probably haven't seen yet:

uscg%20-%20ww2.JPG

It comes off of a world war 2 coast guard coat with 10 buttons and a neck strap.

SpitfireXIV

One of the Regulars
thanks to everybody who researched & posted pics to determine the age of a peacoat. i found a peacoat a few weeks back (no, not on eBay!) & i only guessed it was WWII era because the lining and wool used were similar to my Marines overcoat that i already had.

now i know :)

Dakota

New in Town
I just won an ebay auction for an 8 button Navy peacoat with the corduroy pockets. The auction number is: 300095337140. I received the coat yesterday and it is as close to mint as you can get one. I don't even think it was issued because there is no writing on the label and no one's name is stenciled on the liner. It is a size 42. There is no wear on this coat at all and it was properly stored because there is no mothing to it what soever. I did the buy it now for $35.00 plus shipping. I asked the seller where he got it and he said he bought it off of ebay this past winter for his son but his son did not like the way it fit. He said he paid $70.00 for it. I'll try to get some good pics of it and post some here.

Dakota

SpitfireXIV

One of the Regulars
Dakota said:
I just won an ebay auction for an 8 button Navy peacoat with the corduroy pockets. The auction number is: 300095337140. I received the coat yesterday and it is as close to mint as you can get one. I don't even think it was issued because there is no writing on the label and no one's name is stenciled on the liner. It is a size 42. There is no wear on this coat at all and it was properly stored because there is no mothing to it what soever. I did the buy it now for $35.00 plus shipping. I asked the seller where he got it and he said he bought it off of ebay this past winter for his son but his son did not like the way it fit. He said he paid $70.00 for it. I'll try to get some good pics of it and post some here.

Dakota
nice. and, most importantly, the no moth damage. best to dry clean it before storing away for the summer though; hate to see such a deal ruined because of a technicality!

see if you have a local drycleaner that can dry clean it in preparation for summer storage. a dry cleaner near work was offering a $7.77 deal to dry clean winter coats in March. took my pea coat in as a test-case, and getting back my marines overcoat this week. just in time for snow in the forecast :mad:

Peacoat

Bartender
Dakota said:

Dakota

That is a really nice coat. Probably late 40s to 50s. I don't think it was issued in boot camp because of the lack of a stencil on the liner. May have been post war (WWII or Korea?) dead stock and released to the civilian market, or perhaps to the BX. Wherever it has been hiding for 50 to 60 years, it was hiding in the right place. Good find. When you get tired of it, let me know, as it is my size!

Peacoat

Bartender
wetmarble said:
I just saw an WWI era peacoat on ebay ( 120101980647 )

What an interesting coat. Did you notice the flap pockets beneath the handwarmer pockets? I think this is the first one like that I have seen. I'm sure a collector bought it. Too bad as it will never be seen again in this lifetime. Had I bought it, I would wear it (every now and then).

wetmarble

New in Town
I saw the flap pockets. I was watching the auction and was hoping it would go for a reasonable price. i would have bid if it had gone for under $100.

Here are the Navy Uniform Regualtions which show the peacoat style with the flaps:

Plate%20III.jpg

1905, 1913, 1917
plate%2025.jpg

There were also regulations released in 1922 and 1941. Based on pictures I've seen of pre 1941 coats, I believe 1922 was when the changed the peacoat style to that of the WW2 era coats. I also believe that the button style was changed in 1922 from the anchor with stars around it to the current fouled anchor.

These theories are supported by my peacoat from the mid 1920s that has the fouled anchor buttons and no flap pockets. I however took the liberty of changing the buttons on my 1920s coat to that of the older style star and anchor buttons because I like them more. I'll take some photos this week and post them for you guys.

Dakota

New in Town
If I decide to let it go, I'll definitely let you know.

Peacoat said:
That is a really nice coat. Probably late 40s to 50s. I don't think it was issued in boot camp because of the lack of a stencil on the liner. May have been post war (WWII or Korea?) dead stock and released to the civilian market, or perhaps to the BX. Wherever it has been hiding for 50 to 60 years, it was hiding in the right place. Good find. When you get tired of it, let me know, as it is my size!

Dakota

New in Town
I just won this ebay auction the other day (item # 250098364361) for a 1967 United States Navy peacoat. It is MINT. The pockets are white corduroy lined. They are not dirty at all. I don't think this coat was ever worn. There is no stenciling on the liner. There is some writing on the tag though. The brass buttons on it are not United States Navy though. They have USMS on them. Does anyone here know what branch of service they are from. How do you upload a picture? For some reason when I tried to upload the picture it won't let me do it. I will upload a picture of the buttons if you can't see them clearly in the auction listing.

Dakota

Peacoat

Bartender
Dakota said:
I just won this ebay auction the other day (item # 250098364361) for a 1967 United States Navy peacoat. It is MINT. The pockets are white corduroy lined. They are not dirty at all. I don't think this coat was ever worn. There is no stenciling on the liner. There is some writing on the tag though. The brass buttons on it are not United States Navy though. They have USMS on them. Does anyone here know what branch of service they are from. How do you upload a picture? For some reason when I tried to upload the picture it won't let me do it. I will upload a picture of the buttons if you can't see them clearly in the auction listing.

Dakota

So many difficult questions, but I will see if I can answer them.

That coat is from the United States Maritime Service with the same ranks, grades and ratings as the Coast Guard. I would say a very rare coat. The US Maritime Service was created by the Merchant Marine Act of 1936. They saw difficult action in the North Atlantic during the War.

To post pictures, first you must upload to a remote photo server, such as PhotoBucket. Then copy and paste the URL from PhotoBucket (found under your picture) and use the insert feature found on the tool bar above your message on this site. The photo should appear as if by magic.

Dakota

New in Town
Thanks for the information. I don't know how I got so lucky getting this coat at such a low price. And it is MINT. As soon as I get some pictures taken of it and uploaded on photobucket I will post some. I'm going to hold onto this one.
Dakota

Dakota

New in Town
I know. I can't seem to help myself. And these last two I got cheap and both are mint. I guess this is just the time now to try to get them at a cheap price.

wetmarble said:
damn dakota, you're on a buying spree

Peacoat

Bartender
Dakota said:
I know. I can't seem to help myself. And these last two I got cheap and both are mint. I guess this is just the time now to try to get them at a cheap price.

I couldn't help myself either until my wife led me around to all of the closets in the house, and very succinctly pointed out that there was no more room in this house for ANY more peacoats, or other coats, for that matter. Guess I will have to build a closet in the garage and move the peacoats down there. There is no other option.

Does your last jacket, the USMS, have a tag? If so, please post a picture.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff