Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Questions About the United States Navy Peacoat

CGL

New in Town
I recently bought a WW2 Navy pea coat with all the usual features: 8 front buttons showing and chin strap. The tag on the front of the right inside pocket is identical to the "Peacoat Dating" page that shown the 1945 pristine tag with the size shown. A very unusual WW2 tag that shows the size at the bottom of the tag. The only thing that is odd for this pea coat is that it doesn't have the corduroy lined side pockets but rather it has green color plain cotton lined pocket. Has anyone seen this before ?

Peacoat

Bartender
That is truly an unusual arrangement. I have seen green corduroy, but never a plain cotton lining for the pockets of that era. Are you sure it isn't a solid green corduroy? If it has no small ridges in the fabric, then it isn't corduroy. Could you post a closeup picture of the lining?

I don't find the fact that a WWII peacoat has what I call a "1945 tag" unusual, as there is some overlap on the usage of those tags, especially that far back.

To post a picture you will need a Photobucket account, or some other 3rd party server. If Photobucket, hover over the picture, and codes beneath the picture will appear. Left click on the IMG code, and the code is temporarily stored to your hard drive. Then go to your post on this forum, and paste the code where you want the picture to appear.

BTW, welcome to the Lounge. PC.

CGL

New in Town
I hope I did it right with the photo posting. Posted 3 photos with one showing the tag and two showing the inside of the pocket.

The pocket material is definitely plain and solid green cotton with no ridges. I also looked closely at the stitching next to the pocket and it appeared to me they are original stitching and therefore the pockets were not a replacement at a later date.

IMG_3152_3.jpg

Peacoatpocket-1.jpg

Peacoatpocket-2.jpg

Peacoat

Bartender
Pocket material is odd indeed for that year peacoat. Just when I think I have about mastered the various oddities over the years, "they" come up with something like this. The more I research this area, the more I think this is a Machiavellian plot designed to thwart those of us who have come along 70 years after the fact.

More likely what happened is the manufacturer only needed a few more coats to finish that particular run. There was no more corduroy material left in the plant and it would be several days before anymore came in. The sewing machine operator asked the lead worker what she should do, "Oh, just use that cotton lining, maybe they won't notice." So now you have a very rare peacoat that is in my size. You probably ought to unload it for what you can get and move on to one that is properly manufactured.

That coat appears to have almost no wear.

Trotsky

A-List Customer
I am irked indeed. Just as I received my size 46 1952 dated coat, it turned warm. We did have one helluva windstorm though, and that kersey is bulletproof. Thanks to Peacoat's thread I now own four, all in size 44 and above. Just another addiction to add to the list!

CGL

New in Town
Pocket material is odd indeed for that year peacoat. Just when I think I have about mastered the various oddities over the years, "they" come up with something like this. The more I research this area, the more I think this is a Machiavellian plot designed to thwart those of us who have come along 70 years after the fact.

More likely what happened is the manufacturer only needed a few more coats to finish that particular run. There was no more corduroy material left in the plant and it would be several days before anymore came in. The sewing machine operator asked the lead worker what she should do, "Oh, just use that cotton lining, maybe they won't notice." So now you have a very rare peacoat that is in my size. You probably ought to unload it for what you can get and move on to one that is properly manufactured.

I am glad I was able to post the information of my peacoat to intrigue you. Thanks for the interesting scenario or story behind the plain green pocket lining of a WW2 era peacoat. I am happy that I landed myself a “rare” peacoat and will definitely hang on to it as long as I can. I am always favoring the appeal of the WW2 era peacoat (10 front buttons with 8 buttons showing) despite of the short lapels. To me personally, it is just a better looking peacoat than the post WW2 peacoat with 6 buttons showing and the longer lay-flat lapels. What are your opinion on this ?

CGL

New in Town

One more thing about this WW2 pea coat is that unlike my other two WW2 pea coat, this one doesn't have the triangular pattern stitching on the underside of the collar.

guygardner

A-List Customer
1946-1966? USN Peacoat

Got this peacoat for a steal on ebay (very quiet auction). The listing was very vague for sizing and details. I wasn't sure it would fit and all I knew was that it had corduroy pockets. Turns out it fits perfectly, and the outer shell is moth-hole free! The only flaws seem to be a couple of loose threads on one cuff, a missing top button on one side, and missing tags. It looks like the cuffs may have been shortened by a tailor, as the double row of stitching is less than 3 inches from the end of the cuff.

Because of the missing tags, I'm having a hard time nailing down the date of this coat.

Thanks to Peacoat's peacoat dating sticky, I can determine it's 1946 to 1966. It has the heavy kersey wool, cream corduroy pockets and double stitching above the cuff, and the post war 1946 cut. Can anyone help me to determine the year when this coat was issued? It does have the stitching outline of where a tag has been removed that looks similar in shape to the "Naval Clothing Factory" tag on my WWII peacoat.

IMG_4733.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_4734.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_4735.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_4736.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_4737.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_4738.jpg
[/IMG]

Peacoat

Bartender
Yes, i think the sleeves have been Shortened. Does your coat have the double row of buttons that allows it to be buttoned both ways? If not, it is probably a 1966. If yes, it is no later than 1965. That is as close as I can get it.

Peacoat

Bartender
I see that there is a coat hook loop at the top of the inside lining. I'm wondering what years they had that loop. I know most of my old coats don't have this.

Check carefully for evidence of where the hanging loop used to be. All of my coats, including my WWII up through current issue have this loop. Well, one exception, and the loop on this coat used to be there, but has come off. There is evidence of where it was attached, however.

apsks0706

New in Town
Hey Peacoat,
I've been reading through this thread for the last few weeks, ended up purchasing a 1966 kersey peact and it fits well. Recently, I purchased this 1973 Pembroke melton peacoat. http://www.ebay.com/itm/280972837548?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

My question is, is this melton wool the same as the current issue? Is it black, or still deep midnight blue.

Thanks a lot, I appreciate all the information you've put out.

Peacoat

Bartender
The one you bought is a thicker Melton than the current issue. I believe it is the same thickness as the vintage Kelton coats. It is also a deep midnight blue, while the current issue coats are black.

Please give me pit to pit on the size 34. I think there is a section on sizing toward the end of the article that tells how to properly measure the p2p.

If you haven't read my article, and it sounds as if you may not have, it is in sticky at the top of this page.

Last edited:

Gunk

New in Town
I have this coat, which I believe is from 1946 according to the article on Fedora Lounge about dating coats. I've have it for a couple years, bought it off ebay. I always felt it was bulky yet slim by the pits. Anyway, here are photos of me with just a long sleeve cotton shirt on. It has tan corduroy lined pockets (not the inner pockets however). Looks black in the photos but def blue when seen in person. How does it look?

peacoat1.png

peacoat2.png

peacoat3.png

sleeve cuff and tag:
IMG_20120926_150520.jpg
IMG_20120926_150513.jpg

Last edited:

Peacoat

Bartender
Looks like a nice fit to me. Some would say the sleeves are a bit long, but I like mine longer rather than shorter. You will have enough room for a sweater, which you will need there in King's County during the Winter. If you want a slimmer fit without the sweater, go a size down if you can find another nice vintage peacoat.

The peacoat is closer to a 1949 than a 1946. My 1949 has the nicest wool of all of my pea coats.

apsks0706

New in Town
The one you bought is a thicker Melton than the current issue. I believe it is the same thickness as the vintage Kelton coats. It is also a deep midnight blue, while the current issue coats are black.

Please give me pit to pit on the size 34. I think there is a section on sizing toward the end of the article that tells how to properly measure the p2p.

If you haven't read my article, and it sounds as if you may not have, it is in sticky at the top of this page.

19 inches.

The coat came today and the blue is actually lighter than my 1966 kersey coat.

Also, the 1973 melton wool is not as thick as the vintage kersey coats.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou