Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Questions About the United States Navy Peacoat

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Thanks @Peacoat. I’m sure you changed that boy’s life.
People don’t realize it’s just young kids most of the time at the front.
B

Guess it was just a Marine thing(before crayons). Lol

Vodzilla

New in Town
Sleeves are long, but otherwise it looks good. If you have the sleeves shortened, please ask the tailor to save all of the extra material inside the cuff. That way when you sell it and someone like me with long arms buys it, they can let the sleeves out again.
Circling back on this suggestion of yours Mr. Peacoat. Do you have a link on how you suggest they do this so that I can better explain to the tailor? Thanks again! :)

Peacoat

Bartender
Circling back on this suggestion of yours Mr. Peacoat. Do you have a link on how you suggest they do this so that I can better explain to the tailor? Thanks again! :)
Just tell him you want to save as much of the cuff as possible so it can be let out again if necessary. He will understand. Hopefully he will speak English well enough so he understands.

Dudley

Familiar Face
Super Nice WWI up for auction on E-Bay.

Attachments

• s-l1600-2.jpg
    s-l1600-2.jpg
    424.9 KB · Views: 83

spoonbelly1950

Familiar Face
The size tags were square tags which were sewn right under the coat hook. My two coats have the sewing stitches still intact. If you look on your coats you will probably find them also on the top of the lining right under the hang up hook (loop). I've only seen a couple of coats with these tags on ebay.
I should have included this. The small size tags under the coats hang up loop were on WW2 coats. I don't think we know when they were discontinued.

Dudley

Familiar Face
Every now and again you see a peacoat without the breast tag or stenciling. This one has the inspector neck tag, so it appears authentic. Any clues as to why no breast tag?

Attachments

• s-l1600-3.jpg
    s-l1600-3.jpg
    265.3 KB · Views: 75

Peacoat

Bartender
Every now and again you see a peacoat without the breast tag or stenciling. This one has the inspector neck tag, so it appears authentic. Any clues as to why no breast tag?
I have seen a few that were missing the inside pocket tag but have no idea why. Those tags are sturdy and are sewn on. They may have been intentionally removed, but don't know why someone would do that.

hjv2

Familiar Face
Any tips how to reshape Kersey wool? I purchased a peacoat that have been storaged folded so the sleeves hang very flat - would like to have them more rounder and natural looking if possible.

Peacoat

Bartender
I understand the problem. You might try putting weight on the creases to see if that will get rid of the flatness. But what I would do is to take it to a dry cleaning business and ask them what they can do to restore the shape of the sleeves. In the US, cleaning a peacoat costs about $15. It would be worth it to me to get rid of the flat sleeves.

Dudley

Familiar Face
Any tips how to reshape Kersey wool? I purchased a peacoat that have been storaged folded so the sleeves hang very flat - would like to have them more rounder and natural looking if possible.
Dry cleaning is the the best way. Unless you know a good tailor with a steam press.

MattieXMoto

One of the Regulars
It would take me a while to read all 137 pages. Curious does anyone have a DIY how to find the story of the soldier that is on the tags? @Peacoat

How do I find out the story of Lueders E.T 605. 425 85 47

Seems like he would be of German heritage (last name). Potentially fighting vs Germans or Japanese? I would love to find out more history.
Screenshot_20230614_000611_eBay.jpg
Screenshot_20230614_000622_eBay.jpg
Screenshot_20230614_000642_eBay.jpg
Screenshot_20230614_000652_eBay.jpg
Screenshot_20230614_000659_eBay.jpg
Screenshot_20230613_235642_eBay.jpg

Last edited:

Dudley

Familiar Face
It would take me a while to read all 137 pages. Curious does anyone have a DIY how to find the story of the soldier that is on the tags? @Peacoat

How do I find out the story of Lueders E.T 605. 425 85 47

Seems like he would be of German heritage (last name). Potentially fighting vs Germans or Japanese? I would love to find out more history.
View attachment 525348 View attachment 525349 View attachment 525350 View attachment 525351 View attachment 525352 View attachment 525353
The navy does have a historical enlisted personnel look up site. Includes pictures. I have used it and rarely found a match.

MattieXMoto

One of the Regulars
Yes. I’ll send it later.
Thx

The closest i could find is a 1940 census form which includes "Eldon E. Lueders" in missouri. At which time in 1940 he was 21 yrs old, war age. And listed as occupation helper in industry Farming. i could have the totally wrong person though.

I am surprised no one has been curious to research their own vintage coat.

Semi off topic: does anyone else try to unlock the potential energy of previously owned garments by burning incense or spraying lavender? I am not too superstitious, but this is something I do. JUST IN CASE there was bad karma associated with the garment and previous owner.

Screenshot_20230614_123751_Gmail.jpg
Screenshot_20230614_123805_Gmail.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points