Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rainproof brimmed 'smart' hats in oilskin fabric?

Black Prince

Familiar Face
I'm hoping some of the members of the Hats forum will be able to help me with what may well be a rather unorthodox request in terms of headgear.

Essentially, I'm trying to find a hat that might conceivably go with my Belstaff 'Ironhyde' coat. I'm aware that, as a utilitarian garment designed for motorcycle riding, it'd have been worn with a helmet (typically 'pudding basin') rather than a hat. When it's cool enough, I use mine as a more general overcoat, especially in heavy rain. It's for these occasions that I'd like a reasonably 'smart' piece of headgear to top off the outfit.

As I say, I'm not even sure that such a combination won't look horribly wrong. I do like the idea, though, of some sort of brimmed fedora/trilby in matching (or at least similar) Black Prince material. I can probably put my hands on enough of the fabric itself (from Belstaff rain jackets/suits that are no longer wearable) but have no idea how to go about finding a decent (and ideally not prohibitively expensive) hatter to realise my idea.

I've bought an off-the-peg cap from Jill Corbett, who sells her designs on eBay. It was nice but fairly unstructured, and I'm thinking of a slightly stiffer model for a rainproof hat.

Alternatively, these sorts of hats might exist already. I've not managed to find them myself, though. Not yet, anyway.

Any suggestions?

Black Prince

Familiar Face
Cheers for the suggestion, RBH. I've checked out the Tilley website and their hats do indeed appear to combine a relatively 'smart' look with thorough waterproofing. I guess the only thing they don't do is match (or tone with) the 'Ironhyde' fabric - and I quite like the idea of coordinating the two.

Seems like a Tilley would be a reasonable Plan B, though, if I can't put my hands on anything more visually Black Prince-y.

Black Prince

Familiar Face
Yeah, I've seen similar. Akubras, aren't they? Some of those are okay, colour-wise, but a little too 'western' styled for my purposes. I suspect I'd feel a bit cowboy-in-the-rain...

I think the nearest I've seen (or, rather, heard about) to what I'm thinking of is in the vein of the German 'kleppermantel' raincoats of the 1930s/40s:

aa6d.jpg

Not especially my style of coat but these were apparently hugely popular in Europe, and matching hats were made of the same material (not in this picture, obviously). I rather liked the idea of top-to-toe 'smart' waterproofing!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
farmerboy