Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recommendations for a waterproof straw fedora?

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
It seems my favorite waterproof Techstraw fedora, the Joe Fedora, has been discontinued. Atleast, it's nowhere to be found. So, I'm hunting for something similar. It doesn't have to be techstraw, but it has to be able to survive rain. And nothing with a huge brim... between 2 1/2 and 2 3/4 is best. Anybody have recommendations?

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It seems my favorite waterproof Techstraw fedora, the Joe Fedora, has been discontinued. Atleast, it's nowhere to be found. So, I'm hunting for something similar. It doesn't have to be techstraw, but it has to be able to survive rain. And nothing with a huge brim... between 2 1/2 and 2 3/4 is best. Anybody have recommendations?

Hi

Can you be a little more explicit on "able to survive rain." The Sun body hats soak up rain to a certain level, then it rolls off them. You need a hat stretcher or just wear them until they get dried out if you really soak them. I haven't worn mine in a heavy rain so I don't know if they'll keep your glasses dry or not.

I would be hesitant to wear a Panama in a heavy rain. I don't see it helping keep the rain off, or being in great shape afterword, but I don't own one either.

I've worn a wool hat in a heavy rain, and I don't wear it any more, it's much smaller now. I've worn a beaver hat in the rain, but not a really heavy rain.

Just my $0.01, not worth the $0.02 in this case.

carldelo

One Too Many
I finally got rid of my Joe fedora, as I really needed an XXL, and the XL never got comfortable. I once saw an XXL in sage green and am still kicking myself for not buying it.

As Dixon linked above, you can still get one direct from SF Hats. Orvis sells it as well, they just don't call it 'Joe', and it has a black band instead of brown:

http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=09EK

I have an Akubra Rink in cream and a Capricorn in dark gray - polystraw fedora that are a little more substantial than a Joe, have 2.5" bound brims (a nice touch) and come with pug-style ribbons and a fake leather sweat instead of the coolmax in the Joe. They come in large sizes and are worth the wait, in my opinion. The only difference between a Rink and a Capricorn are the available colors, otherwise they are identical. I took the black ribbon off the Rink and gave it a striped one to jazz it up a bit. Note the open weave above the ribbon that helps with air circulation:

Rink023.jpg

carldelo

One Too Many
Oh, I almost forgot to mention the current Stetson Milan Stratoliner, a polystraw with a nice full crown and deeply flanged brim. Too deeply flanged for me, but the hat was really nice nonetheless. A bunch of loungers have had theirs reblocked and/or reflanged with success. Here it is compared directly to the dark gray Akubra Capricorn:

StratCapricorn008.jpg

Here's a thread all about it: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?62628-Modern-milan-Stetson-Stratoliner

PS the Milan Strat doesn't seem to be that readily available - the best selection appears to be at Delmonico's...

Last edited:

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Thanks guys. Two places to find the Joe, and some other options! I had forgotten about the Capricorn completely, and that Rink with the striped band is really nice. Nice to have choices.

John, I actually have one of Crease 'n' Corral's hats (with the brown ribbon and Ark Cherub), but it doesn't really work with everything I wear during the summer. Brilliant hat, though.

jlee brings up a good question. WOULD shantung handle rain? I'd like the know, because I happen to like shantung.

job

One Too Many
I have a Resistol western (not the big ones) that has a vinyl-coat that rain does not effect but is too hot to wear except in the early and late summer months even with the grommets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21