Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recommended Vintage-esque Nail Polish

VintageJess

One of the Regulars
Novella said:
Aw, that's a shame - it's such a nice color!

Anyone have any tips for opening bottles of nail polish that are stuck shut? I'm afraid that my "Got the Blues for Red" really has left me with the blues for red as it's managed to get stuck shut since the last time I used it! :(

Try running it under some hot water. If that doesn't work, try soaking a q-tip with nail polish remover and run it over the edge.

Jessica

ITG

Call Me a Cab
CherryRed said:
I used to wear Cherry Rain too, but when I went to re-purchase it I couldn't find it anymore. Now I wear Revlon's "Revlon Red". It's a nice true red.
I think saw Cherry Rain yesterday at a Walmart in North Dallas last night, but I think it may have been a lipstick, but I could be wrong. Do they make a lipstick too?

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I love dark red nail polish, or the french manicure look I wear a lot also. OPI has worked the best for me as well, seems to stay on longer. With cosmetics, you get what you pay for most of the time! As far as lipsticks go..(in the red shades) my new favorite is Max Factor #280 great color of red

Novella

Practically Family
VintageJess said:
try soaking a q-tip with nail polish remover and run it over the edge.

Oh, I never thought of that before! Good idea. I'll try the warm water and then the nail polish if that doesn't work - thanks for the advice. :)

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
lol I've used the pliers method! It does work! except, since I'm one to use the most difficult way to open something, I tried it first..try the running water!:)

dollfaced

Familiar Face
Retro colors

Hi ladies if your looking for good retro colors here are some great colors at prices you can afford - Red #414A Wet n Wild Wild Shine - Cabernet 068 cover girl - Cherry Crush #760 Revlon :p - Sapphire Blue # 445D Wet n Wild Wild Shine - Srawberry Electric #190 Revlon :p - Juicy Tamato #130 mabelline wet shine- Really Rosy #110 Revlon - Good Morning Sunshine by Milani which you can find at drug stores! :)

RitaHayworth

One of the Regulars
Vintage Revlon Polish?

I read somewhere (and Im pretty sure it was here) the first nail polish's put out by Revlon, but cant seem to find the info

Does anyone know off the top of their heads which Revlon shades are vintage?

Also, which OPI reds/Pinks are vintage colors?

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
This depends on -who- you ask...

Many sources say that modern polish was invented by someone named Michele Menard in 1920, after automobile paints came into use and inspired them.

but Revlon does also take credit...(from their history page)

"Revlon was founded in 1932, by Charles Revson and his brother Joseph, along with a chemist, Charles Lachman, who contributed the "L" in the REVLON name.

Starting with a single product - a nail enamel unlike any before it - the three founders pooled their meager resources and developed a unique manufacturing process. Using pigments instead of dyes, Revlon was able to offer to woman a rich-looking, opaque nail enamel in a wide variety of shades never before available."

So I would suspect that while Revlon was not the first polish (that honor actually goes to the chinese and egyptians who used lacquer based nail paints way way before that) that they made a substantial change in formulation. Enough of one to claim that it was so different....

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Revlon Red

is the oldest one, so basic they just named it after themselves! It's a nice shade, too.

"Her fingernails glistened as if she had recently torn apart an ox" - paraphrased from Dorothy Parker - I am too lazy to find the book and check the quote, but you get the idea...

RitaHayworth

One of the Regulars
jitterbugdoll said:
I use OPI as well--I'm allergic to most drugstore brands.

I think the color I am wearing right now is "The Thrill of Brazil."

I have that on my toes - my beauty therapist neighbour just put it on for me this afternoon!

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
Running it under hot water should do the trick :)

I am an OPI fan since my nails are soo wierd.... any other nail polish i put on.. the next morning its already chipping of :mad:

So OPI is the only nail polish that will stay on for 1 week... my toes are the same way.. for some reason nail polish does not last long on my nails [huh] But what can ya do.. **sighs** I even use OPI's No chip and I think that is what keeps the polish on for more than one day :D

swinggal

One Too Many
If I wear the darker colours I always do the 'no moons' manicure. That is TRULY a vintage lookwhen it comes to nails. It always annoys me in movies about the 20s, 30s and 40's that they always seem to get this wrong.

For the newbies here:

1920s and 30s - For most of the decade, (1920s too), polishes were applied only in the center of the nail with the moon and tips left bare.

In the early 30s nail colors like pale rose, light pink and cream shades were applied. In 1932, black varnish came into fashion for a short time. From the mid to late 30s deep corals, lilac, emerald green,gray, pale pink, cornflower blue, mauve, gold, silver and every shade of red were used.

1940s - The basic look was a polished nail with a left out whitehalf-moon and a white sliver of nail reamining at the tip.
The nails were worn to match clothes and accessories. Blue-reds, brown-reds, bright reds, green, mustard yellow, black, navy blue, plum, and mauve were popular.

1930s ad - note the moons and tips
866ada.jpg

Heather

Practically Family
I like China Glaze's "Go crazy red". It looks like very "old school", classic red to me. I'm also fond of Creative Nail Design's "Rosebud" and I'm VERY picky about my pink shades. It has to be just the right shade or it makes me nauseous. ;)

SweetieStarr

A-List Customer
VintageJess said:
Try running it under some hot water. If that doesn't work, try soaking a q-tip with nail polish remover and run it over the edge.

Jessica

Pliers? I've used them, you just have to be careful not to crack the plastic cap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner