Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recommended Vintage-esque Nail Polish

Lotta Little

One of the Regulars
For a good pale pink I always go with Essie's Ballet Slippers. I buy it at my nail salon, but you can also find it online and it is one of their best sellers, a good all-purpose pale pink for many different skin tones.

Sometimes I wear OPI's "I'm Not Really A Waitress," a good deep red, but usually I go with a sand color or the aforementioned pink on fingers and toes since I'm too lazy for the upkeep!

Elaina

One Too Many
By Opi: Suzi and the lifeguard, a good candy pink
Pinking of you
Italian Love affair, both of these are a good light pink

Wet n wild has heart's desire, a nice bright pink
Lost love, a barely there pink

Sally Hansen Natural pink, pink sapphire

These are the ones within arms reach. I have some more in a box, and it's not all pink (although I'm sure my teal nail polish is of no interest here.)

olive bleu

One Too Many
Elaina said:
(although I'm sure my teal nail polish is of no interest here.)

:eek:fftopic: I actually DO have a bottle of blue ..which i wore to work on my toes during the NBA finals lol (hint: NOT a lakers fan..ha ha)

MarieAnne

Practically Family
I picked up 4 bottles of polish yesterday. 2 pairs that I matched specifically for doing reverse french manicure.

The first pair is InstaDri in Beige Blast with Revlon in Valentine. The InstaDri brushes are REALLY cool - like small round eyeshadow brushes. The colour is a tiny bit sheer so the coverage is easy to adjust simply by applying a second coat. Valentine by Revlon, is a deep deep slightly purple red but again with two coats the purple cast goes away.

The second pair is Sally Hansen New Lengths Ceramis in City Lights and Nicole by O.P.I. in No Limits. The City lights is a pearly white, but not too stark. And the No Limits is a surprisingly dark and deep blue. It reminds me of when I use to colour my nails with my parents fountain pens. It stains the nails a bit so base coat is a must.

I think I will try the second pair first. I love reverse french manicures. They make my square nails look longer.

MarieAnne

Practically Family
Ta Da!

DSC02279.jpg

Here is my reverse french manicure with City Lights by Sally Hansen New Lengths Ceramics and No Limits by Nicole (by O.P.I.)

Lucinda Q

New in Town
For a really lovely dark red, i think Revlon's Valentine is excellent.

Revlon's nail polishes are by far the best choice. I have LOADS! Although, my fall back is always the red. It never fails to look glamourous.

Heather

Practically Family
I picked up a bottle of Revlon's Raven Red this afternoon. I was hoping to get a glimpse at fire & ice but they didn't have it. :( I can't wait to paint my toes later this week! :D

Dexter'sDame

One of the Regulars
A '40's color to look for

If you're looking for a 1940's color... My mother says that in the '40's my grandmother used to wear a nail color that was exactly the color of red kidney beans. She remembers it because she was absolutely fascinated by it when she was very little. My grandmother confirmed this, but could remember neither the color nor brand. But aparently trying to match red kidney beans is a pretty safe bet. ;-)

As for myself, although I like a lot of OPI colors, Revlon is the most durable on me (and their 2 for 1 sales are fabulous). Some of my usual Revlon colors include Vixen, Wine with Everything, Cherries in the Snow, and Coffee Bean.

Jenniferose7

One of the Regulars
My favorite vintage inspired red right now is Essie's Lacquered Up. It's a little less orange than Clambake and looks great in a reverse French.

Essie can be a little $$ but I get all my colors on Ebay for 2 or 3 bucks tops.

Delia's Gone

New in Town
I got a bottle of nail polish in a swap and LOVE it - it's my favorite color I've ever come across.

It's by Rimmel and the label says 60 Seconds. The color is 310 Red Carpet - a really nice vintagey red with just a hint of shimmer. It dries pretty darn fast too, although I'd say 60 seconds might be a stretch. It has really good coverage and just does not chip. And for the price!! You can't beat it!

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Dexter'sDame said:
As for myself, although I like a lot of OPI colors, Revlon is the most durable on me (and their 2 for 1 sales are fabulous).
Really? All the nail techs in the salons I've worked in have all used OPI so I assumed it was the best thing out there. I haven't bought a drugstore nail polish in decades. My OPI home manicures usually only last 3-4 days. I'll have to try some Revlon.

Inky

One Too Many
kamikat said:
Really? All the nail techs in the salons I've worked in have all used OPI so I assumed it was the best thing out there. I haven't bought a drugstore nail polish in decades. My OPI home manicures usually only last 3-4 days. I'll have to try some Revlon.

I have terrible luck with OPI polishes, they hardly last 3 days for me as well. The longest wearing polish for me is China Glaze - with their Strong Adhesion base coat a China Glaze polish will easily last me a week (I wash my hair and do my nails on Thursdays - it's girlie day)

pretty faythe

One Too Many
I'm guessing the OPI stays well on artificial nails. That's prob the only rhing I am missing at the moment not having fakies anymore, the nail polish lasting 2 weeks lol.

candy_noir

New in Town
kamikat said:

Please check out the Extra Life No Chip topcoat!

As far as Revlon's polishes go, there are some great ones like Raven Red and Valentine, they are both very simillar in color one is slighly more brown that the other. Sultry!

Revlon Red is the perfect clear, bright red pin-up color. Not too pink or blue based, but not to orange or brown either.

Cherries in the Snow was reforumlated and is now more pink/fushcia and is not the same as the vintage color. It was way to garish on my pale but warm toned skin. The lipstick was even worse:(

Anther great red is Rimmel Russet Flame. It is a perle red with hints of gold and orange. While it may not be vintage, it is very flattering!

Goldfish

A-List Customer
Did they change it? I haven't seen it before because Revlon doesn't sell that particular shade over here, but I have always wanted to get a bottle from the US just because the name is lovely and the shade is vintage. I guess no need to buy it then?
What about Revlon Red? Is it worth picking up? There's a fair share of OPI reds in my nail polish collection...

Oh and the real reason for bumping this thread is that I wanted to tell you ladies that NARS re-released Zulu:
http://www.scrangie.com/2010/09/nars-old-zulu-versus-new-zulu.html
Bonus dupe tip ;)

I can't wear shades that dark so I go with OPI Jade Is The New Black instead:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_vVZUhdXCq...FwTHPc87iE/s400/OPI-Jade-Is-The-New-Black.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner