Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recommended Vintage-esque Nail Polish

artdecodame

One of the Regulars
Which shades do all you lovely ladies wear day to day?? I used to like "Cherries in the Snow," but then its pink-y side got to me. I've been meaning to try out a coral or orange-red hue, too, but cannot decide which brand. I'm so indecisive when it comes to these things! :p

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I've been using Revlon's "Raven Red" lately, which I think came up in another recent thread -- it's a very dark blueish red that dates to the '40s. Had it on my fingers until I broke one nail too many threading the projector (occupational hazard!), but it's still on my toes!

I love "Cherries in the Snow" just for the magnificence of the name -- but yeah, on both lips and nails it tends to be a bit pinkish...

decodoll

Practically Family
I swear by OPI nail polish. My favourites are New York Apple and Edin Burgundy. I've been searching high and low for nail polish in emerald green to no avail! If anyone knows where I could find it, please let me know!

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab

Rosie

One Too Many
Hard Candy hardcany.com has what they are calling vintage polish.

DecoDoll, they also have a green nail polish with silvery specks, not sure if that will appear emerald. Maybe Sephora.com might have it, they have TONS of cosmetics.

magneto

Practically Family
decodoll said:
I swear by OPI nail polish. My favourites are New York Apple and Edin Burgundy. I've been searching high and low for nail polish in emerald green to no avail! If anyone knows where I could find it, please let me know!

Hi decodoll, I don't know if this will help you now, but about a year or so ago, I remember noting that either the "NYC" or "Wet 'n' Wild" brand displays at Walgreen's or Rite-Aid here in SF had a bright green (and raincoat-yellow, and blue) (not glittery). I'm thinking it's NYC because I remember a squat round bottle; hopefully they still have it. If not, "weird" colors such as green and black spring up 'round Halloween.

Novella

Practically Family
My current favorite is OPI's Got the Blues for Red. I like darker more blue toned reds. I love all the color names OPI comes up with, they're always so clever. I have a Maybelline one that I also like that I think is called Cherry Rain that is much much more of a "red" red.

decodoll

Practically Family
Thanks, gals! That Big Money is the closest I've seen so far to what I'm looking for, but I forgot to add that I also want it to be non-glittery or frosty. :) I'll have to take another look at Rite-Aid! :) When I first got the notion in my head to look for emerald green, I really did not think it was going to be hard at all! I guess I'm still living in the 1980's when it comes to nail polish! I remember having tons of different colours when I was in high school.

artdecodame

One of the Regulars

decodoll

Practically Family
Thanks soooo much, Tourbillion! That is the exact green I've been searching for!!!!! I'm pretty certain Sephora carries Nars...I have to go over there tomorrow and check it out!

Thanks to everyone who made suggestions! :)

Novella said:
My current favorite is OPI's Got the Blues for Red. I like darker more blue toned reds. I love all the color names OPI comes up with, they're always so clever. I have a Maybelline one that I also like that I think is called Cherry Rain that is much much more of a "red" red.

I used to wear Cherry Rain too, but when I went to re-purchase it I couldn't find it anymore. Now I wear Revlon's "Revlon Red". It's a nice true red.

Novella

Practically Family
CherryRed said:
I used to wear Cherry Rain too, but when I went to re-purchase it I couldn't find it anymore. Now I wear Revlon's "Revlon Red". It's a nice true red.

Aw, that's a shame - it's such a nice color!

Anyone have any tips for opening bottles of nail polish that are stuck shut? I'm afraid that my "Got the Blues for Red" really has left me with the blues for red as it's managed to get stuck shut since the last time I used it! :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner