Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Renovating Leather Visors on WW2 Caps

Old Fogey UK

One of the Regulars
I've just picked up an enlisted man's size 7 1/4 true crusher on eBay (For $22 !!!) but the leather on the single-thickness visor is rather dry. I don't want to leave it to ultimately crack.
Is there anything I can treat it with to keep it supple without ruining the semi-matt finish on the leather ?
Years ago, I treated a WW2 cap visor with the Connolly Hide Cream and it took the color out of the leather, so I want to avoid that happening again.

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Try a very mild hand lotion. Just a tiny bit.

I've had good luck doing that with sweat bands.

Just work it in with your fingers. It should soften the leather without having any other affect.

Sam

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I've just picked up an enlisted man's size 7 1/4 true crusher on eBay (For $22 !!!) but the leather on the single-thickness visor is rather dry. I don't want to leave it to ultimately crack.
Is there anything I can treat it with to keep it supple without ruining the semi-matt finish on the leather ?
Years ago, I treated a WW2 cap visor with the Connolly Hide Cream and it took the color out of the leather, so I want to avoid that happening again.

Remember, most of these visors were made of thick CHROME tanned leather, not the natural tanned type as was and is used in saddlery/harness work and as such don't respond as well to many of the oil based leather conditioners. The visable surface was dyed and finished so that it was different than the back side or bottom. Oil based conditioners will not really penetrate as well as some other conditioners and will effect the top finish as well.

Old Fogey UK

One of the Regulars
Remember, most of these visors were made of thick CHROME tanned leather, not the natural tanned type as was and is used in saddlery/harness work and as such don't respond as well to many of the oil based leather conditioners. The visable surface was dyed and finished so that it was different than the back side or bottom. Oil based conditioners will not really penetrate as well as some other conditioners and will effect the top finish as well.

What would you suggest using ?

T Rick

Practically Family
I was going to suggest Renaissance Wax. Used for restoration and preservation on artwork and other antique items, it's also the only product recommended by Milk Sparks Custom Holsters for use on their products. Google it and see what you think.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy