Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Restore pliability to that vintage straw hat

rogerstg

A-List Customer
From a recent 3 for $35 EBay win, I've been messing with a vintage Dobbs coconut palm hat. The hat was delivered with cracks in the crown and brim, which I was able to fix with Pliobond. I discarded the badly faded puggaree and restored the shape with some steam.

During the steaming, I noticed that the hat became pleasantly pliable. That pliability disappeared when the hat dried, resulting in another crack in the brim when I replaced the sweat band.:eeek:

I fixed the new crack, but figured there was no future in having a hat that cracked every time it bent a bit, so I started thinking about ways to restore oils to the hat without resulting in an oily mess.

I mixed some vegetable oil with denatured alcohol in the proportion of ~ 1:3 and put it in a spray bottle. Then I lightly, very lightly, misted the hat, inside and out with the mixture (hat band off, of course).

The next day I had a wonderfully pliable, but not oily hat. It darkened only slightly, more closely matching the color of Pliobond (thank goodness).

20150622_140136.jpg

I thought I'd share this with you because I didn't find anything about this technique in my prior searches.

Roger

Thanks, Rog! The only other reference I can recall is Art Fawcett's suggestion of taking your straws into the bathroom when showering, to absorb the steam. But nothing about buttering up the straw... Good thinking, sir!

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
There are already some threads on this - ie: New Panama help thread.

I never use TFL's own search engine. Instead I use a site specific Google search with a string, something like: "restore panama hat site:thefedoralounge.com" (without the quotes). Works a lot better ;)

rogerstg

A-List Customer
There are already some threads on this - ie: New Panama help thread.

I'd read those, but didn't see anything about restoring the oils to the fibers. The initial procedure using steam to restore the shape, I learned from that thread.

The problem is that the suppleness only lasted a few hours, until it dried. I know that restoring oil is important to preserving old wood, so I needed to figure a way to introduce a little bit of oil, evenly, to this 50+ year old material.

After a couple of days, the hat has stayed soft and pliable, better than with steam alone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner