Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Restoring an old banger. Can it be done?

marmalademan

Banned
What is the protocol for bringing one back from the dead?

Can this type of 'patina' be undone?

c843a30dd95e8a5b712a28b5667e5412.jpg

With a very old jacket I would want to wash it. Presumably it might then need some conditioning? Is redying it a good option? And if so when and how?

It would be super cool if anyone who's done this could chime in with a few tips. I'm eyeing a very old one at the moment but that type of wear, which it has on the sleeves only, is putting me off

TIA

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Downunder G Man

One Too Many
https://www.kiwicare.com/en-au/products/kiwi-kids-scuff

I have used this product more than once to "bring back" a well worn jacket.

Will not suit everyone I am sure but it works for me. These were black jackets keep in mind !

I also use it to restore the heels of my vast Lucchese boot collection built up over 25+ years. ( NOT the main leather of the shoe !)

They get well scuffed up with all the motorcycling I did and still do

Peacoat

Bartender
I have used Pecard to eliminate excessive wear, but any good leather conditioner should work, including Lexol, which is readily available. @GHT's product above looks as if it is the business as well.

What is the protocol for bringing one back from the dead?

Can this type of 'patina' be undone?

c843a30dd95e8a5b712a28b5667e5412.jpg

With a very old jacket I would want to wash it. Presumably it might then need some conditioning? Is redying it a good option? And if so when and how?

It would be super cool if anyone who's done this could chime in with a few tips. I'm eyeing a very old one at the moment but that type of wear, which it has on the sleeves only, is putting me off

TIA

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

You can easily fix this with some black shoe paste. Or shoe wax. Black, of course. Apply leather conditioner as well and it'll be good as new.

marmalademan

Banned
Thanks for the input fellas. I would pounce right now but I'm concerned that bit in the bottom right corner could be a tear. English is not the seller's native tongue and when I asked about it he just referred me to this photo..

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
Shoe polish is fine for small areas but on large surfaces you risk it rubbing off where you wouldn't want black polish smudges.:rolleyes:
Re-dying is OK but you'll have to seal in the dye after for the same reason as above, also old leather is less likely to take the dye evenly so you may end up with a mottled effect.
If you use a conditioner or wax & you don't like the result, you won't be able to do anything else after.
You can get repair kits for rejuvinating leather furniture which I think would be the best option considering the surface area needing attention.
I can't see any sign of a tear in the photo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo