Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Retro Television Sets

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
There was a television that was sold at Target a couple years ago that was round and red, very 60's like. It was a 15" and the company also sold radios and cd players with the same look. I wish I could remember the name of the company or the television! $115 for the television at the time. Great price for what it looked like.

These are nice too. :D

I am sure the price is through the roof or at least up to the ceiling for one of them.

Mr. Sable

A-List Customer
If you dig though that site, you see one of the taller ones is $1,200... which seems quite reasonable for something so cool.

Thanks for posting this!

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I know a lot of people here (in Australia) are laying out double that, and more, for big screen LCD or Plasma TV's. Still, I'd have to convert that $1200 into US clams and pay to have the TV altered from NTSC to PAL . . . Well, they do look SO cool, it's nice to dream about getting one some day!

Mike in Seattle

Benny Holiday said:
I know a lot of people here (in Australia) are laying out double that, and more, for big screen LCD or Plasma TV's. Still, I'd have to convert that $1200 into US clams and pay to have the TV altered from NTSC to PAL . . . Well, they do look SO cool, it's nice to dream about getting one some day!

I guess it just depends if you want to spend the money on a TV with a small screen that looks retro-cool, or if you want a big wide screen that's better to watch classic movies on. Personally, I'd opt for the latter. I know a wide flat panel TV's going to look completely wrong with my furniture (Mission Oak / craftsman style) so that AND price are currently holding me back. I haven't liked the cabinets I've seen so far. I don't know...maybe a red velvet, gold fringed curtain that would slide open as the lights dim and the movie starts? ;)

Benny Holiday

I'm with you, Mike. I'd like a big screen TV one day, mounted up on the wall, but I know it's going to look so odd with my art deco lounge suite, entrance stand, display cabinet, fireplace and wall mirror. At least the problem's not immediate, my priorities are finishing the renovations (only the main bathroom to go) and getting the driveway done. Then I can wrangle with the question of velvet curtain-covered flat screen vs. Predicta! :D

Twitch

I'd imagine that an old TV cabinet could be adapted to fit a modern set with some ingenious handy work. I did that once with an old Sears B&W cabinet. Got a 19 inch color set into the place of the 21 inch tube and guts.

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Twitch said:
I'd imagine that an old TV cabinet could be adapted to fit a modern set with some ingenious handy work. I did that once with an old Sears B&W cabinet. Got a 19 inch color set into the place of the 21 inch tube and guts.
There is this place in New Jersey that does just that. I believe that Senator jack has a set from them. If you don't live near the shipping will cost you. They have some nice looking old sets.http://www.harryposter.com/

JazzBaby

Practically Family
There's an English chain store called Past Times which sells a 1950s style television in a wood cabinet I believe. I have a catalogue for there and it has lots of great stuff, all repro. They also have 1950's style record/CD players and an Art Deco music centre, as well as all kinds of furniture and decor from Tudor upwards. The website isn't great but if you can get hold of a catalouge it's worth looking at.

Sorry for the blurry photo. Here's the work of Harry Poster. IIRC, he replaced the guts with a low end Korean set (can't recall the brand), so my only fear is that it could wink out at any moment (I do have to jiggle the monitor input in the back once in a while to get the picture). Of course, if id does go completely, the only way to fix it is to bring it back to him and have a new set installed.

3793b8e0.jpg

I had been collecting danish modern furniture for a while and it got to a point where the black box telly looked ridiculous in my living room. Flat panels were fairly new and expensive then, so I decided to go with Harry Poster. If the set does go, I may end up just getting a danish modern cabinet and sticking a flat panel in it.

Regards,

Senator Jack

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Senator Jack said:
Here's the work of Harry Poster. IIRC, he replaced the guts with a low end Korean set (can't recall the brand), so my only fear is that it could wink out at any moment (I do have to jiggle the monitor input in the back once in a while to get the picture). Of course, if id does go completely, the only way to fix it is to bring it back to him and have a new set installed.
What a mercenary operation he must be running. Doesn't a Poster conversion cost close to a grand these days? It ought to be better electronically than that.

Absinthe_1900: Only 40 621s remain? Guess I can't count on getting access to one to copy it! :-/

slipperyskip

New in Town
I need a picture of one next to a reference like a Universal Size Comparator (Coke Can). OK OK a vintage Coke bottle.

I get the idea that it is fairly small. 7" diagonal screen but is that measured across the CRT or the screen opening?

Doesn't a Poster conversion cost close to a grand these days? It ought to be better electronically than that.

I think I related this tale before. I had been considering a set on his site, but I came across the Danish GE model on Ebay and put a bid on it, figuring I'd take it over to him and have him do the work. I put in a max of $100 but was sniped for $125. The winning bidder turned out to be Harry Poster himself, so I sent him an email and we cut a deal for $800. I know the shipping was another $125 and you have to figure the set cost him at least $150, so I figure he's making about $400 for a day's work. I suppose you can ask for a better set and pay the difference, but, of course, he's limited to what's going to fit in the cabinet. One other caveat: the original back didn't fit with the new set, so he constructed one out of a thick black cardboard. Not visible with the set in the corner, but purists may object.

Regards,

Senator Jack

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
Fletch said:
Only 40 621s remain? Guess I can't count on getting access to one to copy it! :-/

You might e-mail the guy documenting the 621s, he might send you the dimensions of the cabinet.

There were a few other old televisions that had a similiar style cabinet, I have an old TV book similiar to the Marty Bunis Guide to Antique Radios, I'll have to pull the book, and see who the author and publisher was.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff