Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Revisited: The Double-breasted Blazer

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Well, the pocket square bandit strikes again! Thanks, Scott, for your generous gift! I'll now enter the ranks of the properly pocket-squared crowd, with fine Irish linen peaks peeking from my pocket.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Mojave Jack said:
fine Irish linen peaks peeking from my pocket.
Shoes507.jpg

Feng_Li

A-List Customer
Haversack said:
Feng Li wrote earlier: "I think I see where we're getting confused. When you say orphan, do you mean orphan: a person who has lost his parents or orphan: frequently?"

Not to be piratical about it but, "Hardly ever".

Haversack.

Glad to see someone caught the reference! :)

StanleyVanBuren

StanleyVanBuren said:
My double-breasted blazer (as of now just having won the auction)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=300099590066

It's not vintage, but it's a start. And for the price, I think I'm pretty stoked.

Well, so that didn't exactly pan out.

navy_db_fail.jpg

It's... too big.

navy_db_fail2.jpg

Waaaaaayyyyy too big. It is too long, too long in the arms, too wide in the shoulders, and too big in the chest. The seller said it was a 38R, but there is no tag. I suspect this may actually be a 40R. But in any event, clearly it's quite too large. It also has gold-rimmed buttons, which I could not tell from the auction photos. The gorge even seem lower than it looked in the auction once I got it on. Oh well. I got it for a very low price so it's no big deal, but it's going back on eBay.

Since I had my camera out, I decided I would try this look with my 70s suit jacket, as-if-orphaned, just since I liked the color scheme:

navy_70sjacket.jpg

Ahhhh, much better. Although, is there a problem wearing a suit jacket like this? Since it wasn't originally intended as a blazer, I'd be hesitant. But this gives you an idea of the basic color scheme once everything fits right.

Ok, one more:

brown_jacket.jpg

Not quite as good a fit as my 70s suit jacket and the armholes are much too low, but still better than the DB monstrosity I just tried.

Oh, and for anyone who is wondering, my tie knot in the above pictures is a 4IH and is as small as I could manage with this particular tie.

slicedbread

A-List Customer
I'm sorry that the jacket didn't work out for you stanley! Another thing to take into account is the general style of the maker...As far as I know and from experience of the one hugo boss jacket that I have, the jackets run large in the shoulders and the chest...You'd most likely want to move a size down for your next boss suit...if i can help it, ill post up a pic of my jacket too

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
slicedbread said:
Another thing to take into account is the general style of the maker..
But even then, different models in a makers line can have different cuts. When purchasing on eBay it's best to go by measurements as suit size numbers can vary greatly. This is a good primer .

StanleyVanBuren

Tomasso said:
But even then, different models in a makers line can have different cuts. When purchasing on eBay it's best to go by measurements as suit size numbers can vary greatly. This is a good primer .

Indeed. Now if only all sellers would include such info.

Bad description = I knew it was a gamble. A cheap one at that, so I'm not too worked up over it.

Still, that thing fit like a dress... :mad:

Tumbleweed

New in Town
I have an Adams Row donegal tweed suit, apparently from the 60s or 70s.

I'd place them as a lower price bracket (it's 75% wool, 25% poly) fashion brand. Despite the poly content, the suit is fairly well made with half-lining and a coin sub-pocket in the right jacket pocket.

It's very slim fitting, being a 36 when a 34 is more my size.

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Blazers in the US

Is it really so difficult to find good vintage blazers in the US?

Charity shops in the UK are full of them. Old men wear them (they are like the hoodie of my generation and above), the old men die and their effects go to charity shops.

If there is enough interest I may consider doing a 'you pay what I paid' shipping arrangement like I just did with gas mask bags.

Just a thought

Alan

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Baron Kurtz said:
as i remember it, Goodwill/Trinity Mission thrift stores were packed to the gunwales with blazers - SB DB all variations.

bk

Ah, so... that confirms that old men die in America, too. A pity. I was thinking of moving there to extend my life...the Blazer of Dorian Eardley?

Alan

Mike K.

One Too Many
Alan Eardley said:
If there is enough interest I may consider doing a 'you pay what I paid' shipping arrangement like I just did with gas mask bags. Just a thought
I'd take you up on that! I'm looking for a 3-piece tweed suit at a reasonable price, along with various WWII aviation gear.

Tumbleweed - The Adams Row db blazer I just picked up is supposed to be 100% wool, no blends.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo