Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ricky Jackets

Henri

New in Town
Hello everybody, my first post is here..

Interesting topic - can't say I'm a collector of gab jackets but I like to wear them - on and off weekenders & gigs.

Here's one interesting website I bumped recently:

http://www.reprovintageclothing.com/home.html

Dutch guy making one-offs...don't know about the quality, though. IMHO, Geronimo of UK used to make best repros. I'd love to order one custom-made jacket but it seems that they have vanished from this planet.

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Henri said:
Hello everybody, my first post is here..

Interesting topic - can't say I'm a collector of gab jackets but I like to wear them - on and off weekenders & gigs.

Here's one interesting website I bumped recently:

http://www.reprovintageclothing.com/home.html

Dutch guy making one-offs...don't know about the quality, though. IMHO, Geronimo of UK used to make best repros. I'd love to order one custom-made jacket but it seems that they have vanished from this planet.
Geronimo really was the best. I have a Ricky, a belted Hollywood and a few shirts from them, and oh yeah, 4 pairs of their shoes! Their stuff was expensive but worth it.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
flat-top said:
Geronimo really was the best. I have a Ricky, a belted Hollywood and a few shirts from them, and oh yeah, 4 pairs of their shoes! Their stuff was expensive but worth it.

Agreed! I have a belted Hollywood jacket by Geronimo in cream, it's the best repro I've ever seen. Also, on an interesting side note, Geronimo items seem to maintain value pretty well; even used they sell for pretty penny (which speaks well to people's opinions of their stuff).

repeatclicks

Practically Family
I think Geronimo is making some very limited runs of stuff. They had a printed 40s knit style short sleeve top with a swordfish on the front. I would have bought it, but the fish was printed on the front, not actually knitted in. It was still really nice though!

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
repeatclicks said:
I think Geronimo is making some very limited runs of stuff. They had a printed 40s knit style short sleeve top with a swordfish on the front. I would have bought it, but the fish was printed on the front, not actually knitted in. It was still really nice though!
I had that swordfish shirt from a few years ago and subsequently sold it because it was too short for my long torso. They had a couple of different prints in that style, but I forget the other designs.

Hepville

One of the Regulars
Right now I´m working on a reversible Ricky Jacket... imho it´s easyer to make than a onesided Jacket. If it comes out nice I will make one from my vintage fabrics!

Hepville

One of the Regulars
Made my first reversible Ricky Jacket

Yesterday I´ve finished my first reversible Ricky:

l_8101bea4d66e4a29989a8e2bfbc3faff.jpg

l_f235fec11f834366ac7f763ed122838d.jpg

l_230f6dbb817f49abb3ada6355708d459.jpg

l_c5e302fdd0fb4c5ab7a6928c4faac17a.jpg

The fabric colours don´t show up as good as they are in fact.
The solid side is made from old garbadine.
I wasn´t able to get an vintage reversible zipper... I will replace the pull for a Talon or Crown.
On the solid side I will replace the fabric covered buttons... it was just an idea but now I don´t like it.
The Jacket is not an exact copy of any Jacket I´ve seen but it´s very close to two Jackets I´ve orientated on.

It wasn´t really more difficult to make like an onesided Jacket.
Some workflows vary to an onsided an took me more time.
You have less space for little errors according to a onesided Jacket.
Parts like collar, waistband and wristband have to match exactly... otherwise you see a bit of the colour from the other side.
Finally I´m not an educated Tailor and it was my first experience with a reversible Jacket... so I may made some things more complicated than they could be.

Imho the Jacket came out pretty good and doesn´t look to bad on a chubby guy like me ;)

Béla

CC-1

Familiar Face
It looks excellent and professional! The pattern is very interesting- not gaudy or corny like some Rickies. No apologies... you look really good in it. Congrats.

Edward

Bartender
Looks superb! I like the design; being able to reverse between the patterened and plain sides makes it much more flexible in terms of what it goes with, casul to semi-casual, etc. I'd love to see more of these being reproduced, as most of what I see in the Ricky vein are the same old, same old black, quilt-lined ones with the hot rod related prints. Great for a Psychobilly look, but otherwise limited.

Hepville

One of the Regulars
Thank you guys!

The pattern is very interesting- not gaudy or corny like some Rickies.

I like the design; being able to reverse between the patterened and plain sides makes it much more flexible in terms of what it goes with, casul to semi-casual, etc

Well I like the gaudy/ corny Rickies, too... but not on me. I´m not the type of guy who can wear those typical colour combinations.
I was looking for some colours matching good with the garbadine... and this one worked well and economic: I can wear the Jacket with about 70% of the stuff I have ;)

I'd love to see more of these being reproduced, as most of what I see in the Ricky vein are the same old, same old black, quilt-lined ones with the hot rod related prints.

I see it a bit different...
There are some good repro Rickies available, but you have to look for them... and you have to fit in default body schemes.
Imho Geronimo made the best repros. I don´t know if they are still working.

Now what are your labels going to look like

It´s there in digital mode and reverie in my mind;)

Hepville

One of the Regulars
50s Ricky Jacket

A friend of mine owns this Jacket and he may considers to sell it.
I´ve made this thread because he is not a member of the FL/ of any internet community and I´m not an expert of pricing for vintage items.

l_f9d28c6dcb8f442984a4b1af464b28d5.jpg

l_66b54475a76d4646a488af3cd3e1fa3c.jpg

l_f11decc16bc24351ab021334a39d039a.jpg

l_73a303606ee547898a1526ae0a6949c1.jpg

The Jacket has been gently washed by hand.
The brand is unknown.
The lining was cracked near the armpits and I´ve fixed it.
Imho the Jacket is now in a good, worn condition.
What would be a adequate/ realistic price for the Jacket?
Has someone an Idea which brand it may is?
It´s about this questions in first reason. If somebody is interested I´ll give the measurements and move this thread in the classified section later.

Bela

repeatclicks

Practically Family
Snapped this one up for $100. With the strong exchange rate, thats UK£70. Peanuts for a ricky these days! Perfect condition (flash makes rayon look faded, it isnt). I'll post my own photos when it arrives!

ilfullxfull155991511cop.jpg

jon z

One of the Regulars
repeatclicks said:
Snapped this one up for $100. With the strong exchange rate, thats UK£70. Peanuts for a ricky these days! Perfect condition (flash makes rayon look faded, it isnt). I'll post my own photos when it arrives!
Hey, you got yourself a real bargain there. Well done. If by any chance it's 40 & doesn't fit just let me know ;) Look forward to further pics.

BTW my mate scored an as new navy Geronimo on eBay the other day. I'm most impressed with it & wish I'd spotted it first. Apparently the seller had a grey one up at the same time. Are they still made do you know?

repeatclicks

Practically Family
I saw that Geronimo, and sadly, nope they don't make em anymore. Aeros take on a ricky jacket, although extremely well made, does not line up with the fit or feel of an original.

Sorry, the one I got is a small! I think I'll be keeping it for some time I'm afraid... :eusa_doh:

jon z

One of the Regulars
Well the Geronimo is now in safe hands of Mark the drummer from the Rockabilly band Ace Trio of Southampton. It's a lovely jacket & in the unlikely event he ever decides to part with I've got my name down 1st on the list.

The Aero just isn't what a Ricky jacket should be. So much potential but they've missed the essence of what they're trying to reproduce by a mile.

I hope the jacket lives up to your expectations, fits & you have many good times wearing it. If however...well just let me know ;)
Cheers
John

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy