Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ricky Jackets

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
richard d. said:
Why were they called Ricky Jackets? Who were they named after? Thanks

had
This has been debated before, but most believe they're named after Ricky Ricardo, although I think he's only been seen wearing one on "I Love Lucy" (I might be wrong about that). Others think they're named after Ricky Nelson.

richard d.

New in Town
Reversible 50's Rickie Jackets

Thanks for the answer. I was also thinking Ricky Nelson or Ricky Ricardo. My dad had one close to these discribed, however, his was purchased in about 1948 or 1949. His was very close to these. His was reversible a shiny silver on one side and a charcoal on other side. Thanks again, Richard d.
flat-top said:
This has been debated before, but most believe they're named after Ricky Ricardo, although I think he's only been seen wearing one on "I Love Lucy" (I might be wrong about that). Others think they're named after Ricky Nelson.

repeatclicks

Practically Family
flat-top said:
Sport Chief 1950's
IMG_3004.jpg

Fosterwear 1950's
IMG_3005.jpg

IMG_3006.jpg

Repro by Reminiscence 1980's
IMG_3007.jpg

Wow that Fosterwear is particularly good. Any smaller sizes you plan on parting with?

flat-top

repeatclicks said:
Wow that Fosterwear is particularly good. Any smaller sizes you plan on parting with?
A few years ago I actually sold off all the jackets that didn't fit, so the ones that remain are all large and all fit!

flat-top

Edward said:
Quite a collection; ever been approached for loans / photos / etc by someone looking to reproduce them?
Thanks! I never really wore these regularly except for shows and weekenders, where are there are tons of guys wearing ones as nice as mine or better!

Edward

Bartender
flat-top said:
Thanks! I never really wore these regularly except for shows and weekenders, where are there are tons of guys wearing ones as nice as mine or better!

I love these, I might pick up a repro or two, as the originals (at least in my size range - 42-44) tend to be scary money.

fraazierjo

New in Town
Reversible

The very first leather jacket I ever encountered was a civilian jacket owned by an uncle away in the War. It was a cossack style FQHH with a reversible corduroy lining. It was the look and smell and feel of that jacket that got my lifelong interest. I later acquired it and always wore the leather side out, naturally.

jon z

One of the Regulars
Repro Source

Edward said:
I love these, I might pick up a repro or two, as the originals (at least in my size range - 42-44) tend to be scary money.
Edward. Do you know where repro REVERSIBLE jackets can be had with the typical solid colour reversing to the atomic splash pattern, size 40?
Cheers
John

Edward

Bartender
jon z said:
Edward. Do you know where repro REVERSIBLE jackets can be had with the typical solid colour reversing to the atomic splash pattern, size 40?
Cheers
John

Alas, I've not found anything like that yet - most repro stuff I see is plain. I keep hunting the web, but most sites that turn up on Google, if they bear any relation whatever to rockabilly, are more along the lines of a psychobilly affair (and normally black, with hotrod prints on the back more akin to 'colours' than vintage repro). There was someone on eBay doing some nice stuff about eighteen months ago, but it didn't seem to last. Aero might be able to do something for you - their Ricky jackets look fantastic, if expensive. I just dearly wish Vivienne's of Holloway would (as for a long time they threatened to) do some men's stuff, they could make a killing I think. It seems to me that the men's market is drastically underserved, in the UK at least.

flat-top

Some places like Swankysvintage.com offer pretty good repros, although the stuff I've seen in person from them is better than what's on their site. I've never seen a reversible repro however. Like Edward said ,you would have to go the custom route for that.

dakotanorth

Practically Family
flat-top said:
Some places like Swankysvintage.com offer pretty good repros, although the stuff I've seen in person from them is better than what's on their site. I've never seen a reversible repro however. Like Edward said ,you would have to go the custom route for that.

Which I don't understand, because really, it's no more difficult to make a reversible jacket than a regular one that is lined.
I think it's more a factor of finding coordinated fabrics, buttons, and a reversible zipper....
(I *Still* intend on posting pics of my jackets too. :) )

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
flat-top said:

Look up the user ID swankyjosh on eBay. Swanky's Vintage sells on eBay under that name and the selection is much better than on the website.

dakotanorth

Practically Family
flat-top said:
WOAH!!! Now THAT is an amazing collection!!:cheers1:
My very first gab jacket was that same pattern as the one above, only in a bright red!!

Really? I had one too, although it turned out to be a woman's jacket. Stupid Ebay....
Still, I also had one in tan, but it just didn't "pop" like the blue.
I have more jackets ya know....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points