Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ricky Jackets

J

john z

Benny Holiday:
Thanks & I'm sure it wont disappoint. But then I have to be positive about these kind of buys or else I'd never go through with them.

I sympathise with those feelings of regret that pop into your head unbidden at random moments you have over parting with your jackets.

Gene:
I wish you luck with your quest. as said I only paid 3GBP for my first one from a market stall. That was many tears ago before these jackets were sought after by so many.

flat_top:
Am I right in saying that only the first two of that selection are of the reversible variety? That first one is to die for. Do you still have it as I'd seriously consider buying it if you had a mind to sell it.

dakotanorth & flat-top:
Pictures please.

repeatclicks:
Those flecked panels on the Windward are the same material the patterned side of my first reversible was made of! That's a nice jacket - thanks for posting it.

DoubleXX

One of the Regulars
john z said:
flat_top:
Am I right in saying that only the first two of that selection are of the reversible variety? That first one is to die for. Do you still have it as I'd seriously consider buying it if you had a mind to sell it.

The first one is long gone, I'm afraid. Sold it to a British collector a few years ago.

J

john z

Oh well thanks anyway. L/XL would be too big for me to get away with wearing. No point IMO having clothes you can't wear however rare & valuable.

Edward

Bartender
So, it's primarily a rarity thing.... interesting. I've seen a few repros of this sort of thing, though not many of them seem to get the fabric 'right' (I suppose there again that also helps to push up the value of the originals, relative lack of accurate repros). I'd be quite happy with the sort of polycotton the better Harringtons have these days, tbh, but it's unfortunate how many repros aimed at the retro crowd are all-out shiny polyester.... I guess that helps keep the price down and if the market don't care, then it makes a business case. [huh]

I do really like the look of that red and white one posted above.

repeatclicks

Practically Family
flat-top said:
I have a huge collection of these jackets (not all reversible) that I never wear anymore but don't have the heart to sell.
If the market was booming I might have to put a few on eBay, but I don't think it is.

Youre right. They are averaging about $150-250 right now, even the rare pink and white/black ones.

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
repeatclicks said:
Youre right. They are averaging about $150-250 right now, even the rare pink and white/black ones.
So I'll wait. It seems the entire "scene" has gone backward and is clammoring for 1930's stuff...myself included. Japan really dictates what the vintage market wants at this point, and Rockabilly stuff ain't it.

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
flat-tops COLLECTION

flat-top said:
I have a huge collection of these jackets (not all reversible) that I never wear anymore but don't have the heart to sell.
If the market was booming I might have to put a few on eBay, but I don't think it is.

I think a long while back you posted pics of your leisure/hollywood jacket collection. Yes, you have some GREAT :eusa_clap items. IMO I would just
not sell, trying to replace those items would very HARD! Solid Citizen :D

marineabilly

A-List Customer
1955 Montgomery Ward Jacket

repeatclicks said:
Beautiful jackets!

My all time favorite was this one, which sold last week on the bay for $186 (a steal really), its not reversible, but you dont see too many with the side panels... did this one go to a lounger?

Picture3.jpg

Picture4.jpg

Picture6.jpg

Picture5.jpg

These came in Brown/Tan and Black with Pink as well. Check out the ad on a 1955 "Monkey Wards" Catalogue. Definitely a steel at $168 seeing as they cost about $7.95 back then!! Perty schweet.
1955.jpg

J.J. Gittes

A-List Customer
I have one reversible jacket. One side is wool with hand warmer pockets, the other side is a tan gabardine with chest pockets. I got it for four dollars! Too good to be true you may think, but unfortunately its trashed.:eusa_doh:

repeatclicks

Practically Family
marineabilly said:
These came in Brown/Tan and Black with Pink as well. Check out the ad on a 1955 "Monkey Wards" Catalogue. Definitely a steel at $168 seeing as they cost about $7.95 back then!! Perty schweet.
1955.jpg

Epic! I love a bit of history.

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
flat-top said:
I just spent the past couple of days cleaning and organizing my basement.
So far I've "found" 37 Ricky jackets, and I think there are more. I'll have to take some pics of the really cool ones. They're mostly vintage with only a handful of repros. Stay tuned!

repeatclicks

Practically Family
flat-top said:
So far I've "found" 37 Ricky jackets, and I think there are more. I'll have to take some pics of the really cool ones. They're mostly vintage with only a handful of repros. Stay tuned!

Uh, just let me know when you are ready to let some go... ;)

richard d.

New in Town
Outerwear

Why were they called Ricky Jackets? Who were they named after? Thanks

had
flat-top said:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21