Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ricky Jackets

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Cool purchase John! I had a similar experience to yours a few years back when I sold some 50s sportscoats to a friend. I got a good price on them, but I've regretted it ever since - one was a lemon yellow Elvis-style jacket with a light brown fleck, the second was a light cream-grey with black flecks and he last was baby blue with grey and dark blue flecks. I kicked myself later on!

I hope this jacket is the one you've been waiting for!

Gene

Practically Family
I'm having serious jacket envy. That is what I picture my dream jacket to look like!

I want one so bad, but I'm waiting to just find one at a thrift store for 5 bucks.

Gene

DoubleXX

One of the Regulars
Here are but a few of the 50s gab jackets I've had over the years:

nv2.jpg

st1.jpg

j3.jpg

snow11.jpg

black3.jpg

BC9A60248872440384FFAFA30558920C1.jpg

YETI

A-List Customer
flat_top said:
Nice gab jacket. I had a similar one in chocolate brown with a white and yellow cross-hatch print. I've been collecting gabardine jackets for a long time...have had them in every print...thunderbird, argyle, two-tone, atomic, etc. I'm down to just two at the moment.

Did you get this one off of ebay? That's normally a $200-$300 jkt.
Shucks, I'm only down to one(but in the process of acquiring another gab jacket soon). I had more than 20 gab jackets both the hollywood and "Ike" type at one point. All were XL-XXL sizes too.

Edward

Bartender
What is it that pushes up the price on these? I'm assuming a big part of it with the originals is simple rarity value.... but a lot of the repros seem very expensive for what they are too (compared to something like, say, a Baracuta G9). The Aero option is around GBP200, which is just a bit north of what I'd b comfortable paying. Is it to do with the gab cloth (I did read somewhere that it is expensive to produce / acquire / source the correct 50s style gaberdine)? There was someone else in London on eBay a few months back had a whole bunch of this style of jacket (plain both sides, though, not patterened), selling at around GBP100 new. They had a whole line of what looked like pretty good fifties repro stuff, but then they disappeared right and quick. Shame, given that men's repro vintage is much harder to find than women's, in my experience.

DoubleXX

One of the Regulars
Edward said:
What is it that pushes up the price on these?

Well, like anything old, rarity is a big factor. In this case, the printed gab jackets (like the ones above) are very desirable because they reflect the 50s rock & roll era, which some of us are trying to keep alive in some way. Gab jkts in large sizes and in pink & black are particularly rare and can fetch prices up to and beyond $1000.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Sleepless nights...

Those patterns would keep me awake all night!! haha. Atomic Kitten? can't say that I am. Each to their own though, as it would be mighty boring if we 'all' liked exactly the same things! ;)

dakotanorth

Practically Family
Gabardine jackets- Ricky be damned!

Flat-Top, you have (or had) some amazing ones for sure!
Someday I'll have to post pictures of my collection- it ranges from basic solid colors all the way to two-tones and reversibles, including two Davey Crockett jackets....
;)

repeatclicks

Practically Family
Beautiful jackets!

My all time favorite was this one, which sold last week on the bay for $186 (a steal really), its not reversible, but you dont see too many with the side panels... did this one go to a lounger?

Picture3.jpg

Picture4.jpg

Picture6.jpg

Picture5.jpg

repeatclicks

Practically Family
The jacket you bought sold over here in the UK as well (same exact colors and all) but was a bit worse for the wear.

DoubleXX

One of the Regulars
mattfink said:
Hey, I owned the one with the acorns in Flat_Top's post at one time...that exact jacket! LOL!!!

Is that right, Matt? Small world, LOL. Well, the high end gab jackets do change hands among collectors every now & then. I have had a lot more, but don't have digital pics of them, unfortunately.

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have a huge collection of these jackets (not all reversible) that I never wear anymore but don't have the heart to sell.
If the market was booming I might have to put a few on eBay, but I don't think it is.

dakotanorth

Practically Family
flat-top said:
I have a huge collection of these jackets (not all reversible) that I never wear anymore but don't have the heart to sell.
If the market was booming I might have to put a few on eBay, but I don't think it is.

PM sent. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Takatāpui