Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rounding Jacks

KateDoherty

New in Town
Hello ! I am new to this forum, so not sure if there has already been a solution.. I have been on the hunt for a rounding jack for so long! I saw that the one guy that makes them on Etsy, (decoustudio) is no longer taking new orders.

So! I was wondering if anyone anywhere has seen ANY for sale or is making them or knows of someone making them! I've been searching and searching with no avail.

Looking forward to hearing some Responses :) Thanks in advance!

jswindle2

One of the Regulars
There is a couple of us guys on the Conversion Corral thread that have designed and made our own jacks,mainly do to restrictive availability and pricing. If you check that thread you'll see a couple of different styles pictured and you may even find someone to make you one. They may not all be the prettiest creations, but the do their job and are a heck of a lot cheaper.

humanshoes

One Too Many
Oak Rounding Jack.jpg
Hello ! I am new to this forum, so not sure if there has already been a solution.. I have been on the hunt for a rounding jack for so long! I saw that the one guy that makes them on Etsy, (decoustudio) is no longer taking new orders.

So! I was wondering if anyone anywhere has seen ANY for sale or is making them or knows of someone making them! I've been searching and searching with no avail.

Looking forward to hearing some Responses :) Thanks in advance!

Hello Kate, Seems to be a run on rounding jacks by the good folks in Australia. Just sent one to Perth and another is ready for NSW. I'd be happy to make a jack for you if you like. I don't think you can pm me until you get a certain number of posts. Please contact me at phoenixhats@outlook.com if you're interested.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
We have a single hat factory in CPH. They don't make fedoras, but a great place anyway. I visited it a while ago and saw a machine something like the Bahner - but not exactly. I will try to re-visit and do a "visit-report" sometime during this Summer :)

KateDoherty

New in Town
There is a couple of us guys on the Conversion Corral thread that have designed and made our own jacks,mainly do to restrictive availability and pricing. If you check that thread you'll see a couple of different styles pictured and you may even find someone to make you one. They may not all be the prettiest creations, but the do their job and are a heck of a lot cheaper.
Thanks so much :)

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Haha ... Yes something in that "direction". Pardon my sometimes erratic English - call it Daneglish, if you like :D

Yes, it is possible to cut a dimensional brim with an adjustable rounding jack - but not in the direction, I talked about (pardon the semi-pun) :)

You can cut it wider than long (Bowler/Derby) type) - but not longer than wide.

Last edited:

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Looking forward to the report. I saw this one at Zapf. Casse Essonnes (can't make out the rest). French company?

24896945624_f0f7ce1435_h.jpg

24900759093_4fdcc9d68a_h.jpg
The one I saw, looked even more like this one, I guess.

I once snapped a pic from a Borsa-site, that shows a third variation. I have it on a HD somewhere (hope I know which), and will try to look for it tonight. If I find it, I will post it in "Photos of Hatter Tools" with a ref to this conversation ;)

jswindle2

One of the Regulars
Here's my newest homemade jack. It is far from a fine tool,but it does the job as well as a big dollar jack(at least for what I'm doing). I would love to have one of humanshoes' works of art. However, my homemades suit the purpose for now. I make the bodies in differing sizes and switch the directional part(the piece with the arrows)from body to body depending on the brim width needed.The hole holds a basic x-acto knife and the side screw tightens the blade in place.The whole deal consists of 3 small pieces of wood and takes maybe 30 minutes to make.I'd recommend that you get a jack from humanshoes if you can wait,but it you must cut NOW I'd say make one of your own.I'd rather see you do this than use scissors like I used to.Good luck with any path you choose.

P.S. I'd like to thank Dogman for the idea in the first place. I wish I could say I came up with it myself.

MLMV3xS.jpg

RJR

Here's my newest homemade jack. It is far from a fine tool,but it does the job as well as a big dollar jack(at least for what I'm doing). I would love to have one of humanshoes' works of art. However, my homemades suit the purpose for now. I make the bodies in differing sizes and switch the directional part(the piece with the arrows)from body to body depending on the brim width needed.The hole holds a basic x-acto knife and the side screw tightens the blade in place.The whole deal consists of 3 small pieces of wood and takes maybe 30 minutes to make.I'd recommend that you get a jack from humanshoes if you can wait,but it you must cut NOW I'd say make one of your own.I'd rather see you do this than use scissors like I used to.Good luck with any path you choose.

P.S. I'd like to thank Dogman for the idea in the first place. I wish I could say I came up with it myself.

MLMV3xS.jpg
Simple but looks like it will do the job.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24