Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sailor outfits for children.

doghouse

One of the Regulars
Does anyone know where I can find sailor outfits for children? Preferably at an affordable price. We are getting ready to take family pictures, and I'd like do dress them in matching sailor outfits. I'm looking for 12M, 2T, 3T boys outfits, and a dress in 4T.

Elaina

One Too Many
I would try Macy's. Not sure on how affordable that would be, however, but it seems that themed dressing like that, I have the best luck there.

We're doing a Hawaiian themed family photo, so I do understand the idea. Sadly, I think the boy has the best shirt.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Middie blouse

If you look on ebay or elsewhere online, you might want to use the term "Middie blouse". The term is short for Midshipman. That's what it would have been called in the 19th century when they were popular.

RAF Man

One of the Regulars
doghouse said:
Does anyone know where I can find sailor outfits for children? Preferably at an affordable price. We are getting ready to take family pictures, and I'd like do dress them in matching sailor outfits. I'm looking for 12M, 2T, 3T boys outfits, and a dress in 4T.

Can't help you other than the suggestion by dhermann1, but I was wondering where and how the idea of dressing young children up in these sailor suits came about. It appears to have been done in the US and UK in the late 1800s early to mid 1900s, not sure about Canada or Australasia, or any non-English speaking countries.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
I had one in 1970. I wanted to get one for my nephew, couldn't find it so I ended up getting him a safari outfit which he insisted on wearing in the winter. I saw some for girls at Macy's at Christmas when I was shopping for my nieces. There's always Grandma's old staple store; JC Penney.

Pina Bridgette

One of the Regulars
RAF Man,

Wikipedia seems to think it was due to a engravings & portraits of Albert Edward, Prince of Wales in 1846.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sailor_suit

"In 1846, the four-year-old Albert Edward, Prince of Wales was given a scaled-down version of the uniform worn by ratings on the Royal Yacht. He wore his miniature sailor suit during a cruise off the Channel Islands that September, delighting his mother and the public alike. Popular engravings, including the famous portrait done by Winterhalter, spread the idea, and by the 1870s, the sailor suit had become normal dress for both boys and girls all over the world."

Here is another site with more clothing details:

http://www.victoriana.com/Victorian-Fashion/boysclothing-1890.htm

Doghouse,

There is a catalog tickling my memory that I might have seen sailor outfits in but it escapes me. When I do remember, I'll be sure to post it.

P.

RAF Man

One of the Regulars
Pina Bridgette - thank you for that bit of information. It would make perfect sense now, knowing that it had a Royal connection, and that the masses in those days wanted to follow fashion. Just like today I suppose, only it's football players, actors/actresses etc!
Certainly never had or been photograped myself as a kid in a sailor suit, but I have pictures of my father in 1926 wearing one.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Blazers

Semi-off topic: Let's not forget that Blazers are supposed to be Navy uniforms. Supposedly worn by "gig" rowers from Royal Navy Frigate HMS Blazer in the mid 1700's.
Yes, I know, nothing really to do with Middie blouses.

RAF Man

One of the Regulars
The Blazer - Certainly was worn by all UK school kids upto the 70s, we lost the old school caps in the 60s, now just the more select and quality schools stick with the tradition of a school uniform blazer, shirt and tie, until they are about 15.
Then it just degenerates into, well what more can I say. If it does'nt say GAP, FCUK, Diesel, etc or have some offensive vulgar slogan on it your'e a social outcast.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
doghouse said:

Awwww ma, vintage again?

Pina Bridgette

One of the Regulars
If you can sew or know someone who can, look for older (80's?) Butterick patterns 4244 & 4246. I think the number has been recycled along the line so be sure they are the childrens patterns. or maybe another of the pattern companies has one out?

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
Another pattern

I'm not sure if another pattern will help, but just in case, Simplicity had one out (I'm not sure how recently I bought it).

Simplicity 5982

Good Luck!

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
I had done MUCH searching for little boys suits, sailor~knickers~eaton suits, ect,
and other that ebay this site was the cheapest, they don't have much left tho.:(
http://www.dapperlads.com/SearchResult.aspx?KeyWords=sailor
However it has been about a year since I searched. I hope you find something! $100 for a child's outfit is rediculous!

I'd send you mine but I'm too sentimental, I save everything, lol!
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w115/ohairas/Birthday boy/novafishingsailor.jpg
Oh, and forgot about this one, my little brother wore it 21 years ago and my son wore it a year and a half ago,
620778373_4af0484624.jpg

Will be a very cute picture of them all, best wishes!
Nikki

doghouse

One of the Regulars
Thanks O'hairas..

I actually still haven't gotten family pictures done because I haven't found any at a reasonable cost. Unfortunately, I haven't sewed anything since I was a child, so that's not an option.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters