Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sailor pants, how to date and what's the history?

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Could you help me date these sailor pants? I'll have to take a pic of the label if need be. I'm thinking they're from the late 60's or so but I could be totally off.

Plus, what's the story/history of sailor pants? Why are they made with all the buttons/flaps/bellbottoms? They seem incredibly impractical for military wear. And since they're wool you have to be careful how they're laundered.

Thanks!
Nikki

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
Most naval uniforms have reasons for their designs. Sailor pants are bell bottomed for a few different reasons - they could be rolled up easier when a sailor is washing decks or working around water. Also, waves often wash up on deck and the bottom of your pants will get wet. The bell bottom keeps the bottom part of your pants from sticking to your legs and chafing them (ever wear wet wool or heavy denim - it doesn't feel good).

The biggest reason sailor pants were made that way was so they could be removed easily if you were suddenly blown, jumped. fell, or were washed overboard. In most cases of this happening you went overboard without a life jacket and your pants become your life jacket. You tied a knot in the legs, swept the pants over your head and used the inflated pants as your life persevere. The pants could hold air for quite some time and could always be refilled by re-sweeping over your head. Also, Its almost impossible to get straight-legged pants off without at least taking shoes off. The front buttons and bell bottoms enabled the pants to be removed quickly and over your shoes.

TraderRic

One of the Regulars
There is an old story that the 13 buttons on the broad fall front represent the 13 colonies. This story is false. I can tell you this with authority because I just looked it up in my Basic Military Requirements book (NAVEDTRA 12018) and I'm a Naval Officer.

As to the date, they may be older than '60's. Current issue is almost black in color and wool serge (smooth). My Father's from the 60's-70's are the same. Your's look more like my Grandfather's from WWII which are a bit lighter (actually blue) and feel like a wool blanket. That's what I get from the pic. Yours may be from the 50's or earlier, but I'm no expert on that. I don't know when the change in fabric was made.

Hope that helps. Anyway, they look great on you!

Eric

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Thanks all! This is very interesting.
The pants look black to me, unless they are held up to something black and then they seem to be a tad navy. But honestly I can't tell if that's me wishing them to be navy, or if it's just the variation of black dyes. But I'm pretty sure it's there, esp. if y'all are seeing it in the pics.
Here's a scan of the label, it's sewn on the pocket. The buttons are plastic. They surely are not quick to get off tho, but I guess if you were used to them...And of course if it were an emergency one wouldn't be worried about carefully unbuttoning them.
Nikki
2656343690_8ebf446d4e.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner