Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sam's Tailor Linen Suit

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
:) Thanks, Feraud,HJ, and Flitcraft!!!
The tailor insisted on leaving the sleeves that long because the sleeves will crinkle and the sleeves will ride up another 1/4"...that's the same reason he didn't like the idea of an action back- the linen would just crinkle too much and wouldn't behave like wool.
The lapel is definitely too pressed- I'll have it pressed smooth so that the lapels rolls more gracefully to the 2nd button instead of in a straight dagger to the 2nd button.
hbk- i got a 3-button because I chose not to get a waistcoat made with it for two reasons a) it's a summer suit and more importantly b) it was like another $100USD and I didn't think it was worth it. The 3rd button is for days when I want to show off less shirt, like when I wear a bowtie.
bk- I just measured the belt- its 2 1/4" at the edges and tapers to a 2 1/8" in the center

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Your Linen Suit

That linen looks Irish. What did you use and what weight 8oz ,10 oz??

A great suit. Congrats from someone with 7 linen suits!

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
Thanks, cookie. I actually have no idea what weight it is, but it's heavy enough to be opaque...I'm assuming it's closer to 6-8oz. It's definitely not the heavy irish linen I've seen some handkerchiefs made in.
I brought your avatar picture (in it's full resolution form) to the tailor to copy the lapels and overall silhouette. I didn't ask for the cutaway because a 3-button closes differently than a 1 button. I reckon the pants will become flowy like that in the wind, too. :p

Jovan

Suspended
Ah, now I see what you mean with the sleeves. They still seem a bit longish though, for 1/4th an inch of difference that you quote from him. It's funny, it reminds me of Are You Being Served? where they would always tell the customer their sleeves would ride up with wear. :D

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
Mr. Rover said:
I brought your avatar picture (in it's full resolution form) to the tailor to copy the lapels and overall silhouette. I didn't ask for the cutaway because a 3-button closes differently than a 1 button. I reckon the pants will become flowy like that in the wind, too. :p

you can thank me later. ;)

aliados

One of the Regulars
Absolutely gorgeous suit! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap Personally, I like my french cuffs showing, but, seeing as this is a summer suit, you can wear it with short sleeved shirts, no? In whihc case the sleeve length is fine. (I dig the garters, BTW).

As an aside, (a) my suit from mysuitshop.com has made its way from Thailand to Delaware, and (b) they've added a new line, and it seems as though someone with our tastes designed their3-piece suits!
See http://mysuitshop.com/styles.php?cat=328

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
Off a different tangent, but y'know, I don't mind the legs riding up a little with these...I tend to wear my argyle and striped socks with linen. The ladies'll appreciate a little bit of ankle eccentricity. :p

Jovan

Suspended
I'm sure the mince walk will bring out the ladies in droves.

:D

On a more serious note: Don't wear short sleeved shirts with jackets. Short sleeves should always be relegated to casual, jacketless affairs.

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
Pfft....sometimes chicks dig that.......certain types of chicks......um....:eusa_doh:

Anyways, back on topic, I don't even own any short sleeve dress shirts. I roll my sleeves up, like a real man :D

Jovan

Suspended
I think there are times for them. I wear a short sleeved shirt on a day out to the beach. Going to get a linen one when I can.

Everyone on clothing forums seem to be amazed I don't already own anything linen, living in Florida... :eusa_doh: But what the $#!%, it's cold out right now.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Jovan said:
On a more serious note: Don't wear short sleeved shirts with jackets. Short sleeves should always be relegated to casual, jacketless affairs.
:rolleyes:

I wear SS shirts (knits and linen) with sportjackets, and seersucker and linen suits. :eek:

jml90

One of the Regulars
Nice suit I just saw 'The Good Shepherd' and a guy wore a suit just like that save for peak lapels.

mike

Call Me a Cab
I'm sorry this might be a crazy question but Sam the tailor... where oh where can I find such a master tailor?! :D You suit looks GREAT and I'd love something similiar for sure!! thanks for the inspiration!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StrangeRay