Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Saw something interesting today

Vardeman Sneed

Familiar Face
I was visiting a vintage clothing store today and saw something that made me do a 'double take'.

(Warning: Not lusting, but appreciating)

A lady at the store was wearing, what I understand to be, a dark plaid high-waisted pencil skirt, a pink cinch front sweater with matching button up sweater (could have been one piece), black nylons, and heels. WOW!

With ladies' 'fashion' nowadays being 'below the waist', this high-waisted skirt really stood out. I mean, it was really nice to see something completely different.

Call me chauvinistic, but I think that I like the look of women in high-waisted skirts and pants over the 'below the waist' look.

Just my thoughts.

Miss Brill

One Too Many
I like my clothes to fit at the hip, because I have a small waist, so if it sits at the waist it makes my hips look bigger, High-waisted pants and skirts are like pleats--you have to be tallish & very thin to have it be flattering.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Not on me!

Funny, I also have large hips, and yet the high-waisted look is much better on me! Different on everyone, I guess.

The groovy thing is that since we live at the time we do, we have a plethora of fashion styles and proportions to choose from, so anyone can find a silhouette that works on them! Not like the pre-60s, when fashion was a dictator and you wore what everyone else did, or were laughed out of the room.

I agree that any time you see a put-together outfit, that flatters the figure of the person in it, and especially if it is unusual compared to the fashion of the day, it will stand out.

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
Miss 1929 said:
The groovy thing is that since we live at the time we do, we have a plethora of fashion styles and proportions to choose from, so anyone can find a silhouette that works on them! Not like the pre-60s, when fashion was a dictator and you wore what everyone else did, or were laughed out of the room.

I agree that any time you see a put-together outfit, that flatters the figure of the person in it, and especially if it is unusual compared to the fashion of the day, it will stand out.

i too am glad i live at a time when i can choose what to wear! it seems like, depending on the item of clothing and my weight, some high-waisted things look great, some look horrible, some make it look like my boobs sag down to my navel (they DON'T, for the record!), etc. and the same goes for lower-waisted stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot