Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Schott's 184SM Jacket

RegentSt1965

Familiar Face
After reluctantly agreeing with everyone in the business that an A2 would never work for me (whether Aero, ELC or whatever) I had despaired of getting a decent flight jacket. Then my eagle-eyed better half spotted some 184SMs at a great price in Beaver Clothing in Brighton ( we were hauling a stash off Buzz, LVC (sale) etc from Peggs and Sons).The key was the fit. It's essentially a 50's civilian flight jacket, designed for ex-military flyers who'd paunched out a bit. (So, it's got hand-warmer slits to the rear of the pockets) BUT as its oversized I could go down from a 44/6 to a 42 and end up with a great back, shoulder and arm fit whilst covering the front perfectly. (I'm an ex-bodybuildef and 5'9") It's Union made and a solid leather. The detachable mouton collar is practicable as is the similarly detachable liner. Adam at American Classics here in London recognised it straightaway as his dad imported them into the UK back in the 80's. (it's NOT an 80's mall fit BTW!).
So, if you get the size right and a good price it can suit a non-WW11 body. If you do fit an A2 then compared to the 184SM at full price I'd go for an Aero/ELC.
Hope this helps.

Sheepdog149

Practically Family
Great post sir - thanks a lot for the information. Yeah, I usually wear a 48, which falls in the XL category. But, I worry that the length is on par too - not too short. Since, I would like it to fall 1-2" below the belt-line, covering the bottom of my off-duty "pancake" style holster (policeman).

Last edited:

IXL

One Too Many
I've never had good results combining knit waists and off-duty carry: it just always seems to print and/or ride up. This is with Mitch Rosen holsters. While not ideal in every situation, a good shoulder holster has served me well when paired with an A-2, even with a full-sized 1911.

LouisBailie

Banned
Great post sir - thanks a lot for the information. Yeah, I usually wear a 48, which falls in the XL category. But, I worry that the length is on par too - not too short. Since, I would like it to fall 1-2" below the belt-line, covering the bottom of my off-duty "pancake" style holster (policeman).

The early Schotts (pre 2003) have 24-25 inch backs, the later ones have 26-27 inch backs. There are several guys that buy and sell them new on craigslist from NYC. They can get them for you for 300-350, used they go for 150-175. Schott will do no work on the jackets prior to 2003.

There is also a Black heavy weight full civliian sized $650 Vanson 48 A2 that just did not sell on eBay for $176. . It is like brand new, the guy wants 200 plus shipping. He just put it back up for bin for 200, it is the best you will ever get in that style color for the price. If I had just not gotten a model A I would buy it in a hearbeat.. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vanson-Black-Leather-Bomber-Motorcycle-Jacket-size-48-/191439784507?vxp=mtr Vanson will alter customize if needed.

What I did to get a longer sleeved/ body horsehide A2 was contact Peter at Branded (the current manufacturer of mil flight jackets). I ordered a 3.5 OZ Horse hide brown /russett jacket with 100% cotton lining, longer back, and longer sleeves, side entry and top entry pockets. Total cost $380 delivered brand new custom made. http://www.800branded.com/ I carry a P7M13.

There you have the options with a great deal on a Vanson, staring you in the face......if you act quickly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo