Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Seeking a kilt for everyday wear?

Abraham

One of the Regulars
I'm seeking a simple kilt for everyday wear. For a long time I considered a 5.11 Tactical Kilt. Unfortunately I can't tell is they are still being produced?

I'm now considering a DNKE Greenhorn or Sports Utility kilt www.damnnearkiltem.com or maybe a Utility Kilt www.utkilts.com

Utilikilts www.utilikilts.com cost 2-3X more than the above, so I doubt I would seriously consider them.

Sadly I really don't have much to go on, however.

Anyone here with experience on kilts for everyday wear? Thanks!

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
I've worn a kilt about casually as well a for formal occasions; I just stick with a traditional style (and fairly plain sporran, with a leather strap). 8 yards, properly pleated, you're looking at around USD40-50 in an acrylic that will have a reasonable feel and drape close to wool. Can't really comment on the utility kilts; I've seen them, quality looks reasonable, but far too modern in their aesthetic for me. In general, a kilt can be worn pretty much anywhere you'd wear trousers without problem (as long as you're not the sort of idiot who insists on "going traditional". It helps to have extra pockets or travel light (or with a bag) - I suppose that's part of the practical application of these utility kilts, adding the pockets, though for me a decent sporran does that job just fine (a decent sporran also helps stop the front of the kilt blowing up in an awkward gust of wind). Avoid wearing a regular blazer type with a kilt, it;'ll look all sorts of wrong. If you want to wear a jacket with a kilt, opt for one cut for that purpose - or, for casual wear, something like a short leather jacket. Euan Macgregor does it well with what I believe to be a Lewis Lightning:

db7e760923956c151192e1ac531ee592--men-in-kilts-leather-jackets.jpg

Much like anything, how much you want to spend is up to you; kilt purists can sneer at cheaper options (I've encountered some who don't even acknowledge a garment as a kilt unless it was made in Scotland - most typically, they're ninth generation "Scottish" diaspora who've never even eaten a haggis, but hey ho...), but there's a lot to be said for a kilt you can wear about casually and not worry about babying (think: expensive, bespoke suit trousers v a pair of old work jeans or Dickies).

I'm not a daily kilt wearer (though I have known folks who are), but I've worn one enough casually for a few days at a time to know the practicalities. You get used to it very quickly. I'm now vaguely considering a 'great kilt' (!).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner