Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Seersucker shirts

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
jamespowers said:
Actually I wear Hawaiian shirts for that and they are starched, yes. The lowest I would go would be a polo type shirt.

Regards,

j

The aloha shirts you have look goofy anyway so don't talk.lol Actually, we had seersucker shirts in Florida at the car dealership I worked at. They are really comfortable in the heat and humidty of Orlando. With summer coming around I'd like to have one or two to wear. There's a Jos. Banks in San Mateo, next time I'm down there I'll check them out.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Hemingway Jones said:
I moved this to General Attire.

Has anyone ever seen a dress shirt of seersucker? The material puckers, but it doesn't wrinkle as much as linen.

HJ;

The seersucker shirts we had in Orlando were a button down variety with buttoned collars. I would iron them a little and they worked out and looked fine.

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
I have occasionally seen men wearing seersucker shirts as dress shirts, that is, with a tie and a jacket. However, it's usually the sort of man who's clueless about "dressing up" and doesn't realize that not every shirt that has a collar and buttons down the front is a dress shirt, appropriate for wearing with a tie. Same folks who don't realize that not every pair of trousers that aren't made of blue denim are appropriate for business dress, and that not every pair of shoes made from black or brown leather are dress shoes. Folks who think wrinkled khakis, a short-sleeve sport shirt, a tie and an odd jacket is a "suit."

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Well, for me it was more academic; in approximately 75 years of modern dress I wonder whether it was ever done that seersucker was used for a true dress shirt, and what the results were.

In the height of summer, when the temperature hits 85 or so, I am looking for anyway to lighten up my clothes and have worn linen dress shirts, which do the trick and look smashing beneath a summer suit. The mind does wander.

I think ultimately, a nice summer weight cotton would probably be best for that situation.

Still, if anyone has seen a dress shirt of seersucker, I would be interested to hear about it.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
There were seersucker dress shirts in the '30s.

There are seersucker (non-buttondown) dress shirts today, although they're difficult to find.

Here's a modern one. From "Banana Republic," of all places. The stripes are light mint green and off-white. Note the collar, which is not a buttondown ... and the fine wale (not wide) stripes.

AuctionphotosApil082.jpg

AuctionphotosApil083.jpg

SpitfireXIV

One of the Regulars
Lady Day said:
Seersucker is considered a more leisure/casual material anyway isnt it? Why would it be made into a dress shirt?

LD
seersucker has its uses. in WWII they had women's uniforms made from a green/white seersucker
military2.jpg

edit: i'd post mine, but sadly, i found one without the buttons :(

Lincsong said:
The aloha shirts you have look goofy anyway so don't talk.lol Actually, we had seersucker shirts in Florida at the car dealership I worked at. They are really comfortable in the heat and humidty of Orlando. With summer coming around I'd like to have one or two to wear. There's a Jos. Banks in San Mateo, next time I'm down there I'll check them out.

Gee, a car salesman wearing a seersucker shirt with a tie. If that isn't reason enough not to wear one then I don't know what is. :p lol

Jovan

Suspended
I have never been, and never will be, a fan of "Hawaiian" print shirts. I feel a seersucker or linen (or linen/cotton blend of course) shirt -- long or short sleeved, it doesn't matter -- looks much more at home on or near the beach, and more functional. Most of the prints seem to be a cotton/silk blend or pure silk, which I don't imagine breathe quite as well. They do feel rather nice to the touch, I'll give them that.

Am I "fair and balanced" or what? :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo