Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Seersucker Skirt Suit Struggle

hailey greenhat

A-List Customer
Heres the problem gang, i bought some lovely green and cream seersucker intended for a short sleeved skirt suit recently, but the longer i have the green and cream the more i realize i have nothing to wear with it should i make the suit. I have no clue what color blouse to wear under or what doodad i could add on to the lapel.
I was thinking i could wear a lavender blouse but that would take locating a lavender sleeveless blouse in my size, white seems too bland and even the lavender does at times as well. I was thinking i could buy some vintage millinery flowers to add to the lapel.
So heres the question: should i continue with the green and cream and if so what could i wear with it? Or should i scrap the green/cream and get the traditional blue and white?
Thanks in advance :)

SayCici

Practically Family
I'm sure once it's made up and is outfitted with all the details you like and fits you beautifully only like a handmade garment can, nothing you pair with it could be boring! You chose the green and cream for a reason, so if you like it, use it!

I think lavendar and white sound good, you could also consider various shades of brown and maybe pink! And this may not be your style, but if you're worried it'll be bland try to mix up the texture or pattern of the blouse. Maybe a subtle polka dot or floral print will shake things up for you.

I like your idea of flowers at the lapel, maybe you could switch them out and wear your favorite scarf of fancy hankie tucked into a pocket?

Miss Sis

One Too Many
If the jacket is short sleeved why not just fit it like a blouse instead of making it to be worn with something under it?

Many summer 'suits' were made like this in the 40s. Then you can find whatever accessories you like to go with it, whether that's a scarf, flower, brooch etc etc.

As Cici says, you obviously chose green and cream because you like it, so it seems a shame to not use it!

Foofoogal

Banned
Seersucker truly has to be my favorite fabric. Screams summer and spring.
Make a jacket and find a nice contrasting scarf.
or the flowers sound lovely.
Is it mint green, emerald?

hailey greenhat

A-List Customer
Cici what a good idea, some how a breast kerchief pocket had slipped my mind!

Miss Sis have you ever worn a short sleeved ... jacket i suppose we'll call it? I never have and as such just think of them as removable items lol so i'm afraid i'd try to take it off and be rightfully embarrassed, 40s is the pattern i'm going for :) i've been trying to look up R.L. photos summer suits as research but photos are scares if you have any i'd love if you could share them with me here.

Foofoogal I've been trying to think of a way to describe the color since posting this earlier today haha its more of a mellon green (not the pastel mellon more like a light watermelon) I too love seesucker, its amazing :D so very pretty and reminds me of true southern summers with sweet tea or mint juleps on porch swings in the sunset.... anyway lol
thank you all

Foofoogal

Banned
I know you probably don't want to look like a watermelon but if it would work with the color how about a coral or some red color blouse to make it pop?

SayCici

Practically Family
Hailey, about the blouse/jacket Miss Sis suggested, I immediately thought of:

880.jpg

(on the right)

It's earlier than you're going for but just as an example - I'm planning on using it as a jacket/blouse (plus matching skirt). I have a light plaid cotton I'm going to use and I could wear it all buttoned up, or remove the belt open it up and wear a blouse underneath. Another bonus is that they'll be great mix and match pieces, so you can have an excuse to bring more of the green or other complementary colors you want into your wardrobe.

Hailey if you got that fabric at JoAnn's I know what you're talking about. lol

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Here's a pattern image for a 40s suit and the one on the Left looks like it's made of green and cream striped seersucker, just like the stuff you have. :) No blouse. I have worn one like this and no, I didn't feel like I was going to try and remove it! lol.

9860_3.jpg

I like the idea of red or coral with it, but only as a very small accent like shoes or a flower. I wouldn't want to overpower the green.

P.S: I LOVE seersucker too.

Brooksie

One Too Many
A lot of times when I wear a suit skirt and jacket set I will wear a slip under it and I just do not take the jacket off.

I agree with foofoogal about the red with the green and cream seersucker. I got a free (cream and watermellon green) 1940's seersucker dress, I wear a slip under it because it is very shear and a thin red belt, a cream straw hat with red flowers and red shoes.

Brooksie

Miss Sis

One Too Many
A set like the one above isn't meant to have a blouse under it, just a slip, as you say Brooksie. It IS a blouse in itself.

But ladies then wore slips under everything. You'd have one under your blouse if your suit required it. Makes everything hang so much nicer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran