Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sewing Lessons & FAQ

MarieAnne

Practically Family
Lady Day said:
Anyone know how to get a crease out of velvet :(

LD

Have you ever tried a steamer? Maybe if you hang it up nicely on a towel rack, and then take a super hot ultra steamy shower. That's got to be the most relaxing way.

Sickofitcindy

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the lining tips ladies. I realized that I bought some flannel backed satin for a winter coat lining awhile ago and I think it'll be perfect.

I second Marie Ann's advice regarding the velvet. I had to steam a lot of velvet at my last job and it got out 95% of the wrinkles.

Sickofitcindy

One of the Regulars
special needles?

Hi Ms. Merl,
I have leather needles. Do I need something else? I've used leather needles for making purses but should I be using something else? As you can see, this is my first pair of gloves so I really appreciate any tips.

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
I worked with a fellow who had a book on making leather gloves. It was from the 70's and was called Glove Making, but according to him the g was stylized so that the book looked a little like the title was "love making". This fellow highly recommended it for technique. I'm sorry I can't tell you more, but I'm going off his description. I moved away before I had a chance to borrow it and have a look for myself.:(

MarieAnne

Practically Family
Scalloped overlay

The Christening dress I am making has a scalloped overlay. I don't know how to place my pattern pieces along the scalloped edge when I cut them. Should the lowest part of the scallop line up with the pattern piece or the highest? Or should I just aim for the middle?
This is the pattern I am using and I am making gown C.
http://www.mccallpattern.com/item/M3063.htm??tab=infants_toddlers_children&page=8

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Has anyone here done a SWAP? It stand for Sewing With A Plan. It is usually 4 bottoms, 6 tops, 1 dress and 1 jacket that can all be worn together. I'm considering a vintage SWAP, but still not sure. In my experience, 50's separates look very frumpy on me. I have a couple earlier separates patterns that I might try out. I have a good modern pattern that would work for a SWAP if the vintage ones don't work out.

Mrs. Merl

Practically Family
That sounds like a really great idea! I would love to learn more about this idea - especially since I sub at school and it would make having to dress at a moments notice ever so much easier! Do tell more kamikat!!!

MarieAnne

Practically Family
kamikat said:
Here's the article that started the concept http://www.timmelfabrics.com/wardrobe.htm To get a good idea of the concept, look at the Pattern Review's contest gallery for last year's contest http://sewing.patternreview.com/cgi-bin/ContestGallery.pl?ContestID=60 They generally use modern patterns, but it really helps to see what other people are doing.

This is so funny. I've always thought of my sewing projects in terms of wardrobe, mixing and matching pieces. I haven't made any elaborate plans or schemes yet. I think it's time to consolidate some yardage. You could even cut out your pattern pieces factory style, on more than one layer of fabric. Thanks for posting this website.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Ok, ladies, this is my 2nd toile/muslin of one of the potential patterns for my SWAP. WWII styles are outside of my comfort zone, so I'm asking for opinions/advice/suggestions. This pattern started out 12in smaller than my actual measurements. I also added an extra 1in FBA, 1in in the bicep, and 3/4in to the waist length. I think I need another .5-1in in the sleeve. Other than that, it fits ok, I'm just not thrilled with it. What do you ladies think?
3254337618_42015553df.jpg

3253428876_a58962a374.jpg

lady

New in Town
Vanessa said:
Yes. Terribly. And it leads to an even worse addiction. . .pattern buying.

I developed a pattern buying addiction before I developed a sewing addiction, but just as I was starting to get into sewing...my machine broke...
:mad:

MarieAnne

Practically Family
kamikat said:
Ok, ladies, this is my 2nd toile/muslin of one of the potential patterns for my SWAP. WWII styles are outside of my comfort zone, so I'm asking for opinions/advice/suggestions. This pattern started out 12in smaller than my actual measurements. I also added an extra 1in FBA, 1in in the bicep, and 3/4in to the waist length. I think I need another .5-1in in the sleeve. Other than that, it fits ok, I'm just not thrilled with it. What do you ladies think?
3254337618_42015553df.jpg

3253428876_a58962a374.jpg

It looks like there is a bit of slack near the armpit area, like a crease. Have you tried shoulder pads? That might do the trick. Great job resizing the pattern!

MarieAnne

Practically Family
lady said:
I developed a pattern buying addiction before I developed a sewing addiction, but just as I was starting to get into sewing...my machine broke...
:mad:

What's wrong with your sewing machine? What is it doing or not doing that's bad? What kind of machine do you have? I just fixed my Singer Spartan; the feed dogs just needed to be lowered. And I fixed an old treadle sewing machine; that one just needed a bit of love.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
kamikat said:

Very nice. Way better than my size ups. :eusa_clap
Is this for a coat? If thats the case I think its a bit too fitted. If that were for a blouse beneath the suit jacket, Id say cool, but for the jacket alone (not to mention lining and the like) Id say decrease your darts some and soften the side seams. For a coat, I think the bust/underarm area will work itself out fine once the sleeves are on. Are you going to do a mock up of at least one sleeve as well?

Id also add about 1/2" to 1" to the front of the pattern. It looks like it may be higher in the front than the back.

LD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart