Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shades of Grey

How is your hair greying?

• white

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • gray

• silver

• yellow cast

• salt & pepper

• streaks

• Total voters

katylouise

New in Town
Ooh, interesting survey. Not graying yet, but man I worry about this. I'm desperate for my hair to turn a pretty pretty gray (silver or salt & pepper) so I can be one of those crazy ladies with a gray braid down my back. But knowing my luck, it will turn out "dishwater-gray" as my mother calls it. :)

Black Prince

Familiar Face
Mine is receding rather than greying (although I've had a couple of patches that stayed the same white-blond of my early childhood). My partner's darker hair went grey in a salt & pepper way, more at the sides of his head and particularly his beard. He was initially very self-conscious and tried dying it but the dye smelled foul and looked pretty awful too. I really like a bit of grey; eventually I persuaded him to leave it natural.

Black Prince

Familiar Face
(From the other thread, now dead.)

Mine is receding rather than greying (although I've had a couple of patches that stayed the same white-blond of my early childhood). My partner's darker hair went grey in a salt & pepper way, more at the sides of his head and particularly his beard. He was initially very self-conscious and tried dying it but the dye smelled foul and looked pretty awful too. I really like a bit of grey; eventually I persuaded him to leave it natural.

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Salt and pepper (with more "salt" than "pepper"). I keep my hair cut rather short ("sidewalls"), and it's funny that when the barber cuts my hair he seems to cut the black out and leave the grey in. No why is that. [huh]

My Dad, at 83, has thin white hair. My Grandmother at 101 had thin white hair. I've been told that my Great-Grandfather, at 100, had a head of very thick stark white hair. So I guess that eventually I'll end up with white hair.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I am so grateful to still have all my hair, I don't care if it comes in purple. :)

The barber tells me the new gray will be wavy. That's cool since it's always been stick straight. It's graying at the temples more and more, but nowhere else - another lucky stroke. I like it a lot. Grampa had all his hair until he died at 93. It was snow white and as wavy as a calm sea.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I started greying (slowly) at age 17, after a jones on a girl in my class went seriously awry. (I'm talking seriously, not as in breaking any laws, but as in things were still awkward at the 10th reunion and no better at the 20th.)
By age 25 it was noticeable, by 35, undeniable. Interestingly, it seems to have plateaud since.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I noticed my first grey at 16, and it's been coming in sporadically ever since, mostly along the front and sides. I started coloring my hair in my 20s, and if I didn't, I'd probably have a skunk streak. That's a swell look if you're Susan Sontag, but not for me thanks.

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
I'm 28, and have a silver streak in each sideburn.

The rest of it is either dark blond or flesh-toned.

$ally

One Too Many
LizzieMaine said:
I noticed my first grey at 16, and it's been coming in sporadically ever since, mostly along the front and sides. I started coloring my hair in my 20s, and if I didn't, I'd probably have a skunk streak. That's a swell look if you're Susan Sontag, but not for me thanks.
I have a streak at the widows peak too. I stupidly cut it off. Now I have a little white tuft under my bangs. I'd much rather have it at the temples like Scotace.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
LizzieMaine said:
I started coloring my hair in my 20s, and if I didn't, I'd probably have a skunk streak. That's a swell look if you're Susan Sontag, but not for me thanks.
Or if you go around chomping a holdered cigarette and surrounded by spotted dogs, which I can't see you doing, either.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Silver threads among the silver

I'm pretty grey now, but still salt and peppery. I agree Scotrace, I used to be very complacent about having a lot of hair, but now I realize I'm lucky to have a thick mop. It camouflages the fact that I've discovered that 60 is the new 12. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic