Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shaving

Indy Magnoli

Vendor
Funny you should mention straight razors. I just got mine out the other day, for a nice close shave for Midnight Mass. It's really hard to beat shaving with a straight razor.

My best advice is... take you time and don't be afraid to use it. I used to sell them and I can't count the number of silly comments I got from people. Most think that if you try to shave with one of these monstrosities, you'll slit your throat. :rolleyes: True, you can cut yourself, but how many of us have never cut ourselves shaving with a "safety" razor??? Sorry about my rant...

Just remember to take it easy, and before you know it, you'll be shaving quickly and your face will feel like a baby's... ;)

Kind regards,
Indy

Pyroxene

One of the Regulars
Shaving with the straight razor takes time. I have found out that it is not somthing you can rush when you are running late for work. But, I am getting a good close shave.

In doing some more reading, I found an interesting article from the people at Clubman. I am sure most everyone here knows how but just in case, here it is.

TIPS FOR THE NEW SHAVER
Everything Your Teenage Son Needs to Know, But is Afraid to Ask

http://www.aiibeauty.com/howto.html

They make the Talc Powder you see in all the salons and barber shops.

clubfinesttalc.gif

I picked up an inexpensive shaving brush and shaving soap. Works pretty good, naturally I'll want to upgrade in a few months. I already have my eye on a brush kit made by Kent.

The Grooming Lounge http://www.groominglounge.com/ has some really interesting products. They even have products for "Embarassing Issues".

Pyro.

Imahomer

Practically Family
Although I've never used a straight razor on myself to shave (and I have probably 30 of them), I've treated myself to a shave at the barber shop a few times. I say treated, because it's a real positive experience if you haven't tried it.

Pyroxene

One of the Regulars
I just got finished reading The Art of Shaving by by Eric Malka

book_cover.jpg

Very interesting tips on skin care, tools and techniques. The book is written/sponsored by a company called The Art of Shaving. They were featured on the Travel Channel not too long ago. This particular store is located in Las Vegas, Nevada. Naturally, they have a website too.

Image2.jpg

Here you can get a traditional barber style shave and all the necessary products in one place.

Image3.jpg

Image5.jpg

Pyro.

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
Hey Bill, they have a place in Dallas.
Dallas at Neiman Marcus
?¢‚Ǩ¬¢ | 1618 Main Street
214-658-8777

If you get the chance to check them out, please write up a full report. I've been reading about this place for a few years, and would love to visit one some day.

I recently had the opportunity to have a shave in a barber shop, and it was amazing. I'll put a new post up about the experience.

Michaelson

One Too Many
Speaking STRICTLY for myself, I enjoy a straight edge shave MUCH more when done for me by the hands of an expert barber. The worse cut I ever got in my life was from a straight edge, and all I did was touch the blade to my face, and the skin (for lack of a better term ) 'popped'. I've ever tried it since, and just could not get the knack. I'll stick with my 1912 single edge Eversharp 'safety' razor, thank you very much. (of course, the term 'safety razor' connected with the old Eversharp is a stretch of the imagination as well!:eek: ) Regards. Michaelson

android

One of the Regulars
There's a Yahoo group dedicated to straightrazor shaving that is a great resource. That's how I got my start. I've been doing it for about 9 months now. There's some important stuff you have to know.

A new razor out of the box is rarely sharp enough to shave. You need to practice honing and stropping until your razor can pass the "hanging hair test." The worst cut I got was from a new TI razor that I was dying to try. (I knew better too, just thought I could get away with it.)

You start by doing just your cheeks for a few days and getting comfortable with that. Then move to under the nose, chin and neck until eventually you're doing your whole face with the straight. That way you build up some coordination with the razor before you move to the more difficult areas. After a shower is best.

You can get a really good shave just going with the grain. I can shave late in the evening and it is good enough for work the next day. If you want a really close shave (for the ladies) then go with and then against the grain.

It beats the hell out of a Mach3. A Mach3 shave will last me about 12 hours.

Heirphoto

New in Town
Android,
Yep, the straight razor thing really beats even a Mach 3. I have been on vacation the past few days and have more time for a long shave each morning so have been using mainly the straight razor. My face feels smoother and that clean shaven feel lasts much longer too. Been 14 hours since my shave and I can barely feel anything even going aginst the grain. usually only 8 hours later it is stubble city!
Feels nice to take the time to indulge too. Steamy hot shower, plenty of lather, and finish up with a brutal splash of Pinaud's bay Rum afterwards. I have a beard so I use the straight razor on cheeks and neck and finish the details with a Mach 3. Hard to get the edges with the straight razor and the Mach 3 saves me from gluing my adams apple back on in case of a nasty slip.
Seeing me shave with the straight razor scares the wllies out of my wife though!
Best,
Tony

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ok, here's a question for all the fellas: for all you guys who shave against the grain, how do you prevent ingrown hairs? That has always been my problem, so I never do it. But now, I just gave myself an old style Heinie haircut, and facial hair just doesn't work with it. I need to shave closely, and the only way to REALLY do that is to go against the grain. Any advice?
The once (and future) flat-top

android

One of the Regulars
I think a straight razor removes more of the dead skin layer along with the hair, so I've never gotten ingrown hairs. I used to get them with Mach III, so I know I can, it just doesn't happen.

AlanC

Rather than shave against the grain, I would recommend shaving your face with the grain first. Rinse with hot water. If you feel trouble spots, re-lather (with your badger brush, of course) then shave across the grain, not against. That will give you a nice close shave in most instances and will reduce the risk of ingrown hairs.

For the record, I use a Mach III and not a straight razor. I just don't have the guts.

flat-top

Oh, I use that new ((vibrating)) Mach3, and I love it, and always with the grain. But this is why I have a shadow a few hours later. Also, due to my sensitive skin (aww!), I really don't shave every day. I want to though, to maintain my new youthful appearance! Today was my first day at work with my new haircut, and everyone said I looked 10 years younger! I gotta run with it!
flat-top

Slicksuit

One of the Regulars
With a Mach 3 blade, I get roughly 4-7 shaves out of a single blade. I tend to change my blades weekly. I'm beginning to wonder about going to straight-edge shaving, though....it would save alot of money on blades.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy