Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoelaces

Talbot

One Too Many
Creeping Past said:
There are two sorts of waxed shoelaces, to my knowledge: coated and permeated. The wax-coated ones slip, but the ones permeated with wax don't. The latter are long-lasting and work, the former aren't and don't.

That sounds right. The shoelaces I have must be wax permeated. The ones that Florshiem sells as waxed don't even feel waxy, just smooth and shiny.

I have never had wax permeated shoelaces before, but I can highly recommend them as superior to the ones sold as waxed today. They are easy to tie and refuse to come undone.

This has become the 'Why I hate wax coated shoelaces so much' thread, so double phooey on wax coated shoelaces!!!:D

Now that's settled, where do you get the wax permeated laces?

Madcap72

One of the Regulars
John in Covina said:
I was wondering if you could use the surf-board wax, that is supposed to be non-slippery.:eusa_doh:

Read my mind.

I would try heating some surfboard wax up and letting the shoelaces steep in it for a bit, then pulling them out hot and straining the excess off.

If it doesn't work, you could always switch to paraffin wax and make candles!

Chad Sanborn

A-List Customer
Well, I have flat waxed that stay tied. I have round waxed that stay tied. Then I have a pair of round unwaxed that almost refuses to be tied. I think maybe it has to do with the type of wax used.

finding the right shoe laces for your vintage boots

I recently purchased a vintage pair of boots. After wearing them twice, the laces broke.
They looked original to the boots, They are 60inches in length.

The boots are dress boots so I want a nice thin lace not a heavy work boot type lace.

TIA for comments and opinions.

Best regards

CCJOE

Good thread. I was actually just looking to replace some laces in a couple pairs of WWII repro boots and some of my casual pairs. Thanks for the links.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
This Christmas I bought a nice pair of black Alden wingtips, but the laces are awfully short. I've found some laces on eBay that say they are wax-impregnated, either 30" or 36", black or brown, 3/32" wide. Is that the right width? And the shoes have 5 holes, so what length should I go for?

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My old Red Wing boots came with waxed laces. Never came undone. Just had to have them replaced, the ends were fraying. Now they have thin things with parachute cord running threw them. Apparently they are more durable. They also never come undone. Both work just fine. Maybe contact a Red Wing dealer and see what they have.
With that said I have Allen Edmonds that don't come undone, but the crap that came with my Bostonian and Florsheim had to be replaced.
My two cents worth.
Johnny

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou