Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoelaces

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
My Botany 500 Specs came today, and I'm thrilled with them. Can't beat 'em for $25.

However, they came pre-laced, and in a pattern I'm not familiar with. Is this lacing a more formal type of pattern, being horizontal like that? I've always had shoes that were criss-crossed all the way up.

It's quite possible that I'm out of touch with how men's dress shoes should be laced!

Brad

(Had to boost the balance so the laces would show up!)

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I'm a bit tied up

I bought the same shoes. They came with the lacing going across and not the traditional way of criss crossing.

You achieve the same result, the shoe is held across the top of the foot.

On the shoes with the straight lace, they look more elegant. I believe it is just a style, like how different women braid their hair.

The straight across looks neater.

I have seen athletic shoes the same way also.

Anyone expert to know if there is a diffence?

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
It's time to "TIE ONE ON"

Wow. You of course are the foremost expert on dress. I never dreamed there would be a site on tying your shoe.

Here is how I tie most of mine (and it is this guys favorite too):

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Andykev, and Zohar, too, if you see this:

I wanted to ask you if your Botany 500s have developed cracks in the white finish. I wore mine yesterday, the first full day of wear, and one of the shoes has cracks in the white finish from the shoe flexing. The other shoe doesn't yet. I don't know if this is typical, or if I should send them back.

Thanks, Brad

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
Mine don't... yet.

I'll be on the lookout for it, though. I've only worn them twice so far.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
This is no crackup

No, mine have just minor break in wrinkles. I have only worn them around the house and on the patio.

They are IMHO an inexpensive shoe, but there should be no "cracking". Do you mean creases? A crack in the shoe leather is a sign of defect. I'd send 'em back.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
One shoe has wrinkles, which I would consider to be normal. The other has definite cracks in the white finish and into the leather, like nothing I've seen on any of my other shoes. It's like they were painted with paint, and the paint is cracking. I guess I should expect something like this from inexpensive shoes, but I'm going to call and see about replacing them tomorrow.

Brad

Doug C

Practically Family
I Need Flat cotton Shoe Laces.

Anyone know where I could locate some flat cotton shoe laces in brown and/or OD ? They need to be about 30" long and not too wide, to fit dress shoes.

Doug C

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Since you need to find deadstock older ones (which were narrower than today's), look on eBay. Do a multiple word search for "flat", "cotton", and "shoelaces" (or "shoe laces") in eBay's vintage accessories category. You'll find plenty of auctions for black, brown, and white flat shoelaces from the 1930s, '40s, etc.

The difficulty is in finding '30s and '40s flat cotton shoelaces in other colors, such as navy blue or grey.

manton

A-List Customer
I have a hard time finding these here. However, the bespoke shoemakers of London can get them, and use them regularly, so I assume there must be a British source.

Any UK members know?

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
manton said:
I have a hard time finding these here. However, the bespoke shoemakers of London can get them, and use them regularly, so I assume there must be a British source.

On British dress shoes (old Alan McAffee's), I've run into shoelaces that don't seem to be in the U.S.A. They're cotton and flattish, but tubular! In other words, they have a hollow core: they look like flattened tube worms. Thicker (but not wider) than regular flat shoelaces, and very smooth, not waxed.

Ever seen these?

Doug C

Practically Family
Dress Flat Laces

I just found these and will order a few pairs, hope they aren't too wide..not sure how wide 3/16" is ? They do come in brown and 30" length. They do not specifically say cotton though, so who know's what I'll receive. Actually I will search ebay before ordering - thanks for the advice guys. Look 3/4 of the way down this page -

http://www.heelingtouch.com/shop/?shop=1&cart=343376&cat=8&#

Doug C

Caledonia

Practically Family
Marc Chevalier said:
Since you need to find deadstock older ones (which were narrower than today's), look on eBay. Do a multiple word search for "flat", "cotton", and "shoelaces" (or "shoe laces") in eBay's vintage accessories category. You'll find plenty of auctions for black, brown, and white flat shoelaces from the 1930s, '40s, etc.

The difficulty is in finding '30s and '40s flat cotton shoelaces in other colors, such as navy blue or grey.

Thanks for the heads up Mark. I need round, cotton/something silky looking, and boot, and they're not turning up easily. Will try ebay. Ta muchlots.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou