Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us what you've made!

MissAmelina

A-List Customer
yeah...the collar actually opens, so maybe just a hook and eye to keep it closed. I can always put a pin over it if I want, or something on the lapel...or whatever it is called. :) Above the boobage. The YOKE!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
What a beautiful dress! Just lovely.

I agree with everyone else as well, just a brooch would be enough :)

Maybe make it again with that great rick rack in the drawing ;)

LD

MissAmelina

A-List Customer
I might just do that whilst it's fresh in my mind! Chances are I could make it in 1/3 the time now that it's been done once :) .....Something in RED with a busy print, (to hide those pesky flaws, of course!) :rolleyes: On to the next project.....

MarieAnne

Practically Family
MissAmelina said:
30s3.jpg

Wow! Your sewing is so neat and tidy. That dress is gorgeous; great job!

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Isn't it funny how dressmaker's dummies always end up named?

Mine is Jemima - she came ready named as I got her from my BF's mother, and my mother's one is called Blanche.

I've noticed other people slipping their 'girl's' names in their posts too!

MarieAnne

Practically Family
I'm really impressed with what everyone is posting here, and I was just wondering, how much of your wardrobe/accessories do you make yourself? How much do you buy? I've seen beautiful hats and coats here and I know it's possible to make slips, undergarments, and gloves...

I'm just making the odd shirt and dress at the moment, and I plan on making a coat. I've thought of making a hat and a slip and a petticoat but I don't think I have the time or know-how.

Snookie

Practically Family
MissAmelina said:
Making this bad boy was a very humbling experience---even though I have been sewing off and on for years I have much, much to learn. :) More tucks and darts and topstitching than I am used to.

I traced the pattern,

simp3264.jpg

made a mock up in muslin, and now I am almost finished.....it just needs hemming on the sleeves and skirt and a belt. It is actually a darker and more vibrant green than this photo suggests--wool blend crepey stuff.

Here it is on my dummy, Rosalind.

30s3.jpg

I think I will make a simple skirt next.....before my head explodes. :)

Nice job! I've made that pattern a couple times, but I've never done that much topstitching, I like yours a lot. For one version, I just used a hook and eye at the neck, and for the other I made buttonholes and strung ribbon through - honestly the ribbon bow doesn't look that good. I like the brooch suggestion - you could even have a bow on a pin, and fake the ribbon bow. Are you going to wear it with a belt?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
MissAmelina said:
Making this bad boy was a very humbling experience---even though I have been sewing off and on for years I have much, much to learn. :) More tucks and darts and topstitching than I am used to. [/IMG]

I think I will make a simple skirt next.....before my head explodes. :)

That is a gorgeous dress from a gorgeous pattern -- well done! I'd love to find that pattern in a size 18.

I've seen originals with that type of neckline, with the ribbon closure, and they used a hand-worked eyelet, like a small buttonhole -- you'd make something like that by punching out the hole with an eyelet-setting tool, and then carefully stitch around the opening. It's fussy work, though, and I like the idea of closing with a hook and eye or a decorative pin even better.

Oh, and when I had a dummy, her name was Sadie.

Snookie

Practically Family
Also, MissAmelina, when you put the pattern away, take a few minutes to make notes of any adjustments you made, anything you discovered while making this (and add any adjusted pattern pieces, of course!). If you're organized you shouldn't need to mess with that pattern again in the future, just cut straight into your fashion fabric.

Miss Crisplock

A-List Customer
MarieAnne said:
I've thought of making a hat and a slip and a petticoat but I don't think I have the time or know-how.

MarieAnne; I've been the happy winner of a couple of slip and petticoat patterns, and then found out that petticoats/ crinolines are so easy that you don't even really need a pattern to make them. I believe the instructions are here or on line.

Currently I am embellishing/finishing the bottom edge of a purchased petticoat and it looks like a piece of cake.;)

MissAmelina

A-List Customer
Snookie said:
Nice job! I've made that pattern a couple times, but I've never done that much topstitching, I like yours a lot. For one version, I just used a hook and eye at the neck, and for the other I made buttonholes and strung ribbon through - honestly the ribbon bow doesn't look that good. I like the brooch suggestion - you could even have a bow on a pin, and fake the ribbon bow. Are you going to wear it with a belt?

Yeah, I think a belt would look really nice---but I still need to make it. I would love it if the buckle matched too. I saw the little tutorial on Lady Day's website, so I might just follow that---unless anyone has some other easy suggestions. Maybe I'll post on the sewing instruction thread......

Snookie

Practically Family
I've covered belt buckles before, it's kind of a pain but I'm glad I've tried it. Plus making the eyelet for the prong is a pain, I just make one hole, since it's only for me! Here's the instructions I used, from a 40's sewing manual.
sc00364496.jpg

Aurora

One of the Regulars
MarieAnne said:
I'm really impressed with what everyone is posting here, and I was just wondering, how much of your wardrobe/accessories do you make yourself? How much do you buy? I've seen beautiful hats and coats here and I know it's possible to make slips, undergarments, and gloves...

I'm just making the odd shirt and dress at the moment, and I plan on making a coat. I've thought of making a hat and a slip and a petticoat but I don't think I have the time or know-how.

I don't post much on this thread, but I'd say I make about half of my wardrobe. I'm currently making a pair of 1940's style satin french knickers and matching bra, and I'm getting some wool for a 1940's coat next week.

I'll have to put down the needle & thread and take some photos to list on here. I don't think I've commented since my dog brooches (now stocked in 2 shops!!)

MarieAnne

Practically Family
Miss Crisplock said:
MarieAnne; I've been the happy winner of a couple of slip and petticoat patterns, and then found out that petticoats/ crinolines are so easy that you don't even really need a pattern to make them. I believe the instructions are here or on line.

Currently I am embellishing/finishing the bottom edge of a purchased petticoat and it looks like a piece of cake.;)

I have a ton of leftover tulle from my wedding. My mom made my crinoline. So I've been thinking of making a petticoat. I've seen online instructions but they never include pictures so I am having difficutly understanding how it comes together. I know I'll need a slip for my 40's straight skirts and a petticoat for my pouffy 50's skirts; I'm just debating on whether I should make it or buy it.

Also, I just remembered this website. It has tons of adorable vintage knitting patterns. I found it when I was going through my knitting phase (after my crochet phase and before my cross stitch phase :eusa_doh: ).
http://www.vintagepurls.net.nz/womenspatterns.html#Bolero
Aren't they fabulous:eusa_clap! And they are all free! I was loosing interest in knittng when I found this site so I never got around to making a single item.

goldwyn girl

One Too Many
Aurora said:
I don't post much on this thread, but I'd say I make about half of my wardrobe. I'm currently making a pair of 1940's style satin french knickers and matching bra, and I'm getting some wool for a 1940's coat next week.

I'll have to put down the needle & thread and take some photos to list on here. I don't think I've commented since my dog brooches (now stocked in 2 shops!!)

Oh Aurora, I'm so happy to hear your dog brooches are in store's, I love mine to bits :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I am finally out of fabric!!

3688.jpg

This is the blouse from this pattern. I made it by finished garment size, as the pattern adds 6" of ease! I love the fit, and this navy rayon feels like cotton!

frontwearing.jpg
backdetail-1.jpg

I also made one in silk with a button closure.

front-36.jpg
backdetail-2.jpg

I love this pattern. Its going to be a great staple for winter :)

I also made probably my last summer dress. Its a great quilting cotton. The skirt is 8 gores, and I almost ran out of cotton so I had to piece it in a gore. It needs a belt but I like it.

front-35.jpg

LD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot