Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us what you've made!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Thanks ladies :)

Its areal simple pattern, but I offer these tips:
-Go by the finished garment size.
-Skip the band around the collar and just make a facing piece for the back and front.
-I also added 2" of length to the blouse to give me ample length for a 1/2" hem.

LD

Vanessa

One Too Many
Scattered here and there across time periods, but here's what I've been up to since March:

1902 Edwardian Corset:
IMG_0210.jpg

Back:
Corsetback.jpg

Gingham & rickrack apron:
IMG_2609-1.jpg

Back:
IMG_2610-1.jpg

1908 Maid of Honor Gown:
IMG_0322.jpg

Hoping to get some pictures in the near future of all the petticoats and slips made to wear under that gown.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The white pique dress!

I made it for the Queen Mary, but the pic is from the Gatsby Picnic, taken by our own Miss 1940s...

l_8ab933274c681e7f2a2df1cfbaa60154.jpg

It's a 1933 or so pattern, with interchangeable buckle and button, and I think I will be wearing it to death.

MissAmelina

A-List Customer
Miss 1929 said:
I made it for the Queen Mary, but the pic is from the Gatsby Picnic, taken by our own Miss 1940s...

l_8ab933274c681e7f2a2df1cfbaa60154.jpg

It's a 1933 or so pattern, with interchangeable buckle and button, and I think I will be wearing it to death.

Love love love LOVE this!

In fact, all the photos that have gone up today are stunning!! I am so glad I found this site.......it makes me a happy and inspired little girlie!

Vanessa

One Too Many
Tinseltown said:
Is Laurens dress antique or did she make it herself?
I love your BM dress too. I love edwadian fashions!

The lace overdress is antique, with a few alterations by Lauren. The underdress, which I'm sure she will post pictures of when she returns from her honeymoon, was made by Lauren and is amazingly beautiful.

MarieAnne

Practically Family
Vanessa said:
Scattered here and there across time periods, but here's what I've been up to since March:

1902 Edwardian Corset:
IMG_0210.jpg

Back:
Corsetback.jpg

1908 Maid of Honor Gown:
IMG_0322.jpg

Your corset is beautiful! I actually started sewing so I could make corsets. They are so fun to put together.
And the maid of honour gown is gorgeous. Is that heirloom sewing? I'm trying to learn to do heirloom sewing so I can make a Christening gown for my daughter; I'm just waiting on the instructions book to arrive.
http://www.heirloomsewingforchildren.com/b-chgownen.htm
Here is the pattern I would like to use. Isn't it to die for!

Here is a shirt I just finished.
sewing.jpg

This is the pattern. It's the very top shirt.
DSC01079.jpg

It fits! I did a fitting on myself, with pins and adjusted the seams accordingly like LizzieMaine suggested. My husband is sleeping so I have no one to take a pic of me wearing it and the hanger doesn't do it justice! Isn't the print darling? I'm very picky with prints but I really like this one. I also used tailor tacks for the first time and loved it. I never bothered with markings. I was never sure how to transfer them and thought they were too much of a hassle. Man are they handy, and tailor tacks are easy!

graverobbergirl

New in Town
My First 40s Outfit

Oh wow! You guys are so Sewing talented! I've only had time to peruse a portion of this thread, but amazing work, all!

I just finished sewing my first 40s outfit. It is from the same pattern Lady Day used for her blouse (a few posts earlier I believe). I also used another retro 40s pattern from Simplicity (#4081) for the jacket. Oh, it's a nice pattern because it has the different cup sizes option (YAY! More accurate fit without too much thinking!) I can't figure out the exact term for those little false pockets (with the soutache detail around them) I even checked my Modern Dressmaking Made Easy book (1940). Does anyone know? Are they just welt pockets?

I'm sure the fabrics aren't quite accurate (but the jacket and skirt fabrics were a gift and rather nice...and I couldn't pass up using free fabric)

40sOutdoors.jpg

40sMirror.jpg

I had problems with the blouse Fraying because I used a cheap crepe-back-satin. Oh well, live and learn...

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
Marieanne... I do love that shirt u made.. that pattern is wonderful.. I have been searching high and low for something simple like that.. :)

Graverobbergirl- WOW! THat is some spiffy coat! Loving the skirt :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Vanessa

One Too Many
MarieAnne said:
Is that heirloom sewing? I'm trying to learn to do heirloom sewing so I can make a Christening gown for my daughter; I'm just waiting on the instructions book to arrive.
http://www.heirloomsewingforchildren.com/b-chgownen.htm
Here is the pattern I would like to use. Isn't it to die for!

Yes, all heirloom sewing. Hopefully I'll have more detailed shots of it from the professional photographer. Lots of tucks, lace insertion, edging, french seams - it was a handful.

Beautiful pattern you have picked out - gotta love Martha.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR