Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us what you've made!

Sunny

One Too Many
glamour-girl said:
e581_2.JPG
b260_2.JPG

just recived thease, i'm going to make the jacket first, with a red wool fabric and black velvet for the collar and cuffs.
any sugesstions for the dress ? [huh]
I made the dress! I made a patttern size 12 for this one. The waist measurement for size 12, according to Butterick, is 26.5". Written on the pattern piece was the actual waist dimension of 28" - my actual measurement. That's 1.5" of ease added to the waist! In a pattern that ought to have NO ease at the waist to keep it from looking like a sack! Definitely go by the finished pattern measurement and not by the pattern sizing. Don't be afraid to nip it in, either. It's actually slightly adjustable, and it really looks best if the waist is small.

I re-drew the centerfront neckline because it was lower than I liked. I raised it 1.5" and it's still quite low. Just FYI.

I get weird wrinkles at the bust becasue the front parts, which hook together in the back, want to ride up. When I safety-pinned them to the back, it was fine. I need to put more hooks there to make it permanent.

Definitely wear this with some kind of petticoat. It will not look right without it.

I used blue dupioni silk taffeta. Taffeta is crisp and light, excellent for this style. Something stiff, like a satin, would look heavy and possibly hang strangely in the skirt. Don't used something limp; circle skirts don't look right that way. The heavier the fabric, the more petticoat support it will need. Mine is very lightweight and didn't look too bad with the small petticoat that was all I had, but it would've been better with a lot more.

DSC00529.jpg

MarieAnne

Practically Family
Sunny - The dress is gorgeous! Thank you so much for the info. I have some 'Retro' patterns from the same company and I was wondering what the ease was.

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
Sunny said:
I made the dress! I made a patttern size 12 for this one. The waist measurement for size 12, according to Butterick, is 26.5". Written on the pattern piece was the actual waist dimension of 28" - my actual measurement. That's 1.5" of ease added to the waist! In a pattern that ought to have NO ease at the waist to keep it from looking like a sack! Definitely go by the finished pattern measurement and not by the pattern sizing. Don't be afraid to nip it in, either. It's actually slightly adjustable, and it really looks best if the waist is small.

I re-drew the centerfront neckline because it was lower than I liked. I raised it 1.5" and it's still quite low. Just FYI.

I get weird wrinkles at the bust becasue the front parts, which hook together in the back, want to ride up. When I safety-pinned them to the back, it was fine. I need to put more hooks there to make it permanent.

Definitely wear this with some kind of petticoat. It will not look right without it.

I used blue dupioni silk taffeta. Taffeta is crisp and light, excellent for this style. Something stiff, like a satin, would look heavy and possibly hang strangely in the skirt. Don't used something limp; circle skirts don't look right that way. The heavier the fabric, the more petticoat support it will need. Mine is very lightweight and didn't look too bad with the small petticoat that was all I had, but it would've been better with a lot more.

DSC00529.jpg
I am making this dress now. It should be interesting as I used a pirnt but ran out of material for the back. So that is going to be a solid color which I hope will look nice with the wrap around feature. If it comes out okay I am wearing it on my Birthday.

Sunny

One Too Many
Aww, thanks, everyone! (Be careful with your undies - I had no idea my slip was showing under the arm!) It really was fun to make, not a hard pattern and interesting to put together. If I could do over again, the only thing I'd change would be to do the shoulder gathering by hand. It's rather tight gathering, and doing it by hand instead of machine would've made it much neater and prettier.

deadpandiva said:
I am making this dress now. It should be interesting as I used a pirnt but ran out of material for the back. So that is going to be a solid color which I hope will look nice with the wrap around feature. If it comes out okay I am wearing it on my Birthday.
I think that will look very good, actually. It will be gorgeous from the front, and from the back it will look like a fancy blouse/skirt combination. :eusa_clap

goldwyn girl

One Too Many
I have so much catching up to do here. Everyone has been busy turning out fab outfits. I made these last week and used Sunny's suggestion of fully lining the top and I highly recommend it. The self facing was odd and difficult to understand. I used a medium weight denim and vintage buttons.
Overalls.jpg

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
goldwyn girl said:
I have so much catching up to do here. Everyone has been busy turning out fab outfits. I made these last week and used Sunny's suggestion of fully lining the top and I highly recommend it. The self facing was odd and difficult to understand. I used a medium weight denim and vintage buttons.
Overalls.jpg

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

WOW! I LOVE your overalls! Its a dream of mine to make... but who knows how long that would take me lol

You look Stunning! **so envious**

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
Sunny said:
Aww, thanks, everyone! (Be careful with your undies - I had no idea my slip was showing under the arm!) It really was fun to make, not a hard pattern and interesting to put together. If I could do over again, the only thing I'd change would be to do the shoulder gathering by hand. It's rather tight gathering, and doing it by hand instead of machine would've made it much neater and prettier.

I think that will look very good, actually. It will be gorgeous from the front, and from the back it will look like a fancy blouse/skirt combination. :eusa_clap
Thanks. I am alomst done and aside from some construction issues it looks really lovely. I am glad I ran out of fabric.

Sunny

One Too Many
goldwyn girl said:
That looks fantastic! I cannot wait to make my own. (If even I can carve time away from studying...)

goldwyn girl

One Too Many
Aurora, thank you, I used the repro pattern from Eva Dress, it's in the 40's section.
3322PR.jpg

LelaViavonie, thank you, they really were rather easy to put together. You would be surprised how quick they make up.

fuzzylizzie, I was lucky I had just enough of the same buttons.

The Shirt, hehe, I'll have to double lock my doors :)

Lady Day, thank you, yes they are the Payless shoes and I wish I had bought a dozen pairs.

Sunny, thank you :)

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
goldwyn girl said:
Aurora, thank you, I used the repro pattern from Eva Dress, it's in the 40's section.
3322PR.jpg

LelaViavonie, thank you, they really were rather easy to put together. You would be surprised how quick they make up.

fuzzylizzie, I was lucky I had just enough of the same buttons.

The Shirt, hehe, I'll have to double lock my doors :)

Lady Day, thank you, yes they are the Payless shoes and I wish I had bought a dozen pairs.

Sunny, thank you :)
Excellent Work! I have two pair of those overalls in the works and they don't look nearly as nice as yours.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR