Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us what you've made!

jtcarrey

A-List Customer
Lorena B said:
Thank you, i have changed the side of the legs since the pic, Miss Bella Hell adviced me to add a little more fabric and i did so, now looks thousand times better and it doesnt seem to put so much stress on my hips, i also put some little shoulder pads to the top to give it more shape.

Oh sweetie, i have uses a horrible material, a mix of polyester and Nylon i believe, i hate polyester but 2 euros per metre was too good to me (specially now that i still waiting to get into the working life).

For my next one i will use a more wholesome material.
Broadcloth? i am not sure what kind of fabric is that, maybe here in Europe we call it differently!

Also, i am a sort of beginner sewing myself, but if you just follow the pattern and cut it well, then is easy to make something out of it, afterwards, you can add bits and pieces to conceal or garnish the item.

If i can i am sure you can too ;)

Yea, polyester isn't great... broadcloth is basically 100% cotton. Here are some pics of the first two dresses I made:

l_2330e41b37ea52cb2fd9b37ab57357f4.jpg

This was the first dress I made (first time sewing mind you, and I'm wearing this dress now actually lol), from a reproduction pattern from Butterick #B5209, I had that dumb hat on cuz my hair wasn't done

l_9ae98c155fa4a2f741938d0b5b5a66f4.jpg

This one is from McCall pattern #4757 from 1942 (the top is actually a pale blue but I can't find a good pic right now)

sorry the pics are so huge, how do I make them smaller?

Lorena B

Practically Family
jtcarrey said:
Yea, polyester isn't great... broadcloth is basically 100% cotton. Here are some pics of the first two dresses I made:

l_2330e41b37ea52cb2fd9b37ab57357f4.jpg

This was the first dress I made (first time sewing mind you, and I'm wearing this dress now actually lol), from a reproduction pattern from Butterick #B5209, I had that dumb hat on cuz my hair wasn't done

l_9ae98c155fa4a2f741938d0b5b5a66f4.jpg

This one is from McCall pattern #4757 from 1942 (the top is actually a pale blue but I can't find a good pic right now)

sorry the pics are so huge, how do I make them smaller?
Sweetie! those dresses are fantastic!!! where did you get your " i dont sew well" thing from??

So far you have done 2 dresses, i have never done one, just skirts, trousers and a top.

Wow, i love them, well done!!:eusa_clap

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I made this one from a pattern from 1937. I made this once before and sold it, so I tried it again for me. This one is a white and black rayon crepe with rayon satin bodice. The belt is the same one I made for the suit I just finished. I want to make the jacket, but not yet.
vd01.jpg

vd02.jpg

vd03.jpg

vd04.jpg

tempestbella42

One of the Regulars
love that dress lauren!!
my colour is playing up on my pc so cannt see that proprley but love the rest! the length of the skirt is great!
ive loads of patterns, and material to make up but just dont seem to of had time lately! i used to make all my dresses when i was younger (from 1940s and 50s patterns or freehand!;) )

gotta say your all inspiring me to get the machine out with all your gorgous creations!:D

Lorena B

Practically Family
Oooohhhhmmm Lauren!! Gosh, that is lovely!!
I def think you have a lovely tasty. I like the colours too, very wearable, classy and elegant, Just great!
Wow, keep up with the good job girl!!:eusa_clap

jtcarrey

A-List Customer
Beautiful dress Lauren! Man I wish I had some 30's patterns, it's my favorite time period when it comes to style, maybe I'll check ebay right now!

Always love your creations and knowledge of style Lauren :)

jtcarrey

A-List Customer
Lorena B said:
Sweetie! those dresses are fantastic!!! where did you get your " i dont sew well" thing from??

So far you have done 2 dresses, i have never done one, just skirts, trousers and a top.

Wow, i love them, well done!!:eusa_clap

Thank you :) I sew fine I just wish I knew more about it, especially about how to keep my fabric from fraying... I would LOVE to sew some trousers and a few blouses! I need some patterns..

Lorena B

Practically Family
This are the last things i made, also in that horrible fabric, but it is good enough for practice, i am thinking of making the same skirt in a nice black cotton fabric.

The pic quality is as bad as the fabric but it can give you an idea.
Lauren inspired me to make the bottons of the brown one, i wrap them in bits of left over tropical fabric. Is far to be perfect but as i said before practice makes perfection
DSCN7118.jpg

DSCN7128.jpg

Vegan_Kitty

New in Town
Lorena B said:
This are the last things i made, also in that horrible fabric, but it is good enough for practice, i am thinking of making the same skirt in a nice black cotton fabric.

The pic quality is as bad as the fabric but it can give you an idea.
Lauren inspired me to make the bottons of the brown one, i wrap them in bits of left over tropical fabric. Is far to be perfect but as i said before practice makes perfection
DSCN7118.jpg

DSCN7128.jpg

I love that skirt, what pattern was it made from?

Mrs. Merl

Practically Family
I didn't want to double post, so I didn't put pictures in this thread. Over in the Halloween thread I put up pictures of what I was working on prior to Halloween. I was excited to share because we entered them in the costume contest at the Sci-Fi Fantasy convention we attended just before Halloween (and wanted to wear them for Halloween.) And we won first place!! Just wanted to share!!

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
This pattern is an old favorite, but my first winter version. It looks a little plain, but I haven't found the right buttons for the front.
3008964136_6c7320f4ba.jpg

anabolina

A-List Customer
Oh Kamikat, I love that dress, especially that collar. It's lovely and you've done a terrific job.

Lovely work too Lauren. It looks impeccable and very wearable.

jtcarrey, I love both dresses, but lust after that second one. Great job with the color combination. You reminded me of my version of the 5209. I don't think I posted it here at the time, so this was what mine looked like.
P1010455.jpg

maggiethespy

A-List Customer
Posted this somewhere else already, but this is my Halloween dress:
20081106_0029-2.jpg
20081106_0027-1.jpg

It's based on Simplicity 4559, the Theresa LaQuey. The pattern is retired, so I made it up as I went along, drafting my own. I'm pretty pleased with my results! It's my first drafting job ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart