Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us what you've made!

Lorena B

Practically Family
This is my last creation.
its from the 4147 Advance pattern but i made some changes like the little bows.
What do you thing? i am sort of happy with it as is the second oufit i make for myself!!
I am currently making the matching skirt
HPIM2266.jpg

HPIM2267.jpg

Now ill have to wait till next summer to wear it

Cricket

Practically Family
Amy Jeanne said:
Hopefully one day I'll be as good as the ladies here!! I'm just a beginner, go easy on me:

l_6615273adad74eff931df43b9e50cbb4.jpg

The waist band's a bit wonky and the hem is a bit "rolled" -- lol I'm going to unpick the hem and fix it this weekend. It's from a pattern from 1940.

l_1b247e37179e48f38bd6ebfd152cb1a7.jpg

Apron from a 50s pattern. As you can see, I cut the fabric wrong! lol But I kept on going. This was a practice project. I'm teaching myself to sew by trial and error.

:eek:fftopic: I am loving the Archie comics. I have to admit, I still buy the comics and enjoy reading them. In fact, I just finished the latest Archie Digest last night.

The clothes are wonderful. I can't even sew a button on so you are doing great!

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lorena B said:
What do you thing? i am sort of happy with it as is the second oufit i make for myself!!
HPIM2266.jpg

HPIM2267.jpg

Cute! I think it would look even cuter if the shorts weren't tapered -- Tim Gunn taught me last night that pants/shorts should fall straight from the widest part of the hip. Maybe you could put a little insert of the tropical fabric on the side seam!

MarieAnne

Practically Family
Inky said:
Here's a couple of crocheted snoods I made recently from the 1942 Perky Snood pattern available here.

2906845609_d8a6c7030e.jpg

They were pretty simple to do, I used some worsted weight yarn that i had on hand and some grosgrain ribbon bows that are just pinned on.

Now when I have enough hair, I'll be prepared for snoody goodness!

I've made a few snoods now. I've even starting making my own patterns! But I don't get how to attach the elastic. Could you elaborate? Thanks

Inky

One Too Many
Marie-Anne - I've only made these two snoods so far and to put on the elastic I first cut a piece of round elastic about 22 inches or so and sewed the ends together. Then I single crocheted around the edge of the snood (I think once or twice in each space) encasing the elastic in the single crochet.

I hope that makes sense, I have a cold and I am on a nyquil bender this weekend ;)

MarieAnne

Practically Family
Inky said:
Marie-Anne - I've only made these two snoods so far and to put on the elastic I first cut a piece of round elastic about 22 inches or so and sewed the ends together. Then I single crocheted around the edge of the snood (I think once or twice in each space) encasing the elastic in the single crochet.

I hope that makes sense, I have a cold and I am on a nyquil bender this weekend ;)

I think I got it. Thanks. I hope you feel better soon.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Thanks, gals!
LD, I LOVE covered buttons. I have a vintage suit that has satin accents, so I thought I'd give it a try. :)
Miss Siss, thanks so much! I really look forward to seeing what you're knitting. I truly admire your patience. I keep thinking I'll knit a vintage sweater, then I change my mind when I remember how long it takes!

Lorena B

Practically Family
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
Cute! I think it would look even cuter if the shorts weren't tapered -- Tim Gunn taught me last night that pants/shorts should fall straight from the widest part of the hip. Maybe you could put a little insert of the tropical fabric on the side seam!

Thats a great idea Bella Hell!!, i will def. be doing it! i also think that they make my hips too prominent :)

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Amy Jeanne said:
Thanks gals! I made another apron -- I made it reversible! I'm also trying to put together a pattern from Eva Dress from 1935. If it comes out ok, I'm going to use it as a nightgown because I'm not using any Interfacing in it.

I imagine it will be fine without interfacing, they didn't use it much in the early to mid 30s except for suits and sturdy daywear. 30s should be clingy and slinky! Which pattern is it?

jtcarrey

A-List Customer
Lorena B said:
HPIM2266.jpg

HPIM2267.jpg

Awesome! and the tropical hints are really cute! I like how you made variations to the pattern, I'm not that great of a sewer yet to do those kind of things, but I'll try and start on my playsuit this weekend and show you how that turned out :) and I'll post pics of the other two dresses I made and my shorts that I made :eusa_clap

Also, what kind of material did you use? I'm going to be using broadcloth for mine...

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Miss 1929 said:
I imagine it will be fine without interfacing, they didn't use it much in the early to mid 30s except for suits and sturdy daywear. 30s should be clingy and slinky! Which pattern is it?

l_6a080b652d2c49f48d973684ff1462e7.jpg

lol lol lol
It's supposed to be this: http://www.evadress.com/6222.html
Really, I only made this for practice. I don't intend to ever wear it other than a nightgown. I used really cheap fabric and it was awful to work with so I have a lot of crooked seams and bunching. Other than that, I think I put it together ok. Another thing -- this pattern runs HUGE! Literally, it looks like a hospital gown on me (that's why I'm not modeling it!) With better fabric and a bit more patience (and maybe bringing it in a couple inches on each side!) I could probably make a passable 1935 sundress!

l_59b28a808b3b475dad61e2b3ed8dd109.jpg

Here's my reversible apron. My mum-in-law wants me to make her one! lol

Mrs. Merl

Practically Family
Lauren - Very lovely! I really enjoy covered buttons they add such flair! And very inspiring - eventually I will get to the suit I have planned.

Amy Jeanne - Your apron is soooo cute!! I want one! I think that your pattern will work out better next time - and I think interfacing will help to keep it from puckering on you! Plus, it looks like the collar closure will need the extra support. From what I can see it is still very cute! I can't wait to see the next one!

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Mrs. Merl said:
Lauren - Very lovely! I really enjoy covered buttons they add such flair! And very inspiring - eventually I will get to the suit I have planned.

Amy Jeanne - Your apron is soooo cute!! I want one! I think that your pattern will work out better next time - and I think interfacing will help to keep it from puckering on you! Plus, it looks like the collar closure will need the extra support. From what I can see it is still very cute! I can't wait to see the next one!

Ah yes - the Interfacing! That's exactly where it was puckering most -- where the interfacing was meant to be. I think i'm ready to start using it. I learn something new about sewing everyday! And thanks about the apron :)

Lorena B

Practically Family
jtcarrey said:
Awesome! and the tropical hints are really cute! I like how you made variations to the pattern, I'm not that great of a sewer yet to do those kind of things, but I'll try and start on my playsuit this weekend and show you how that turned out :) and I'll post pics of the other two dresses I made and my shorts that I made :eusa_clap

Also, what kind of material did you use? I'm going to be using broadcloth for mine...

Thank you, i have changed the side of the legs since the pic, Miss Bella Hell adviced me to add a little more fabric and i did so, now looks thousand times better and it doesnt seem to put so much stress on my hips, i also put some little shoulder pads to the top to give it more shape.

Oh sweetie, i have uses a horrible material, a mix of polyester and Nylon i believe, i hate polyester but 2 euros per metre was too good to me (specially now that i still waiting to get into the working life).

For my next one i will use a more wholesome material.
Broadcloth? i am not sure what kind of fabric is that, maybe here in Europe we call it differently!

Also, i am a sort of beginner sewing myself, but if you just follow the pattern and cut it well, then is easy to make something out of it, afterwards, you can add bits and pieces to conceal or garnish the item.

If i can i am sure you can too ;)

Kitty_Sheridan

Practically Family
I'm currently on a crochet run! Using up all the odds of wool (yarn) to make 'Make do and mend' crochet hot water bottle covers for my friends for Christmas (we have a rule, it either has to be vintage or home made and not spend more than about £10.

I'm also crocheting the boys RAF or Khaki wool scarves to wear.

I bought some vintage underwear patterns too and a load of original undie fabric at the War and Peace show here in the UK to make tap pants for my fellow hefty lady pals! All the skinny gals can get the little silky french knickers, and we get left with the double gusseted celenese bloomers!lol

Why should they have all the fun?;)

pics after the weekend. I'm staffing the control tower at an RAF event and hoping to get some crochet done and to make an original dolly from a pattern I bought this weekend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart