Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us what you've made!

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lauren said:
Thanks, gals!
Here's the pattern cover, Miss Sis. Don't you love how one's wearing ballet shoes and the other's wearing beachwear? I pictured it as something you'd wear in a dance rehearsal, a la Busby Berkeley.
mccall7671.jpg
I believe she's wearing espadrilles, which lace up, and are worn as beach shoes back in the day...

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I was going back and forth whether it was ballet shoes or espadrilles! Thanks so much for your input! You wouldn't happen to know where to get ones like that now, would you? Without a heel? I've been looking off and on for a pair and haven't found any yet!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
fabric.jpg

Welp, I finally made the kitchen jimjams. I gotta say, Decades of Style patterns are THE MOST size accurate repo patterns I have ever worked with. A fantastic experience. Everything matched up, was sized correctly, and right of grain lines were spot on :eusa_clap These patterns are awesome!

front-6.jpg
back-2.jpg

Now, with that said, I made TONS of mistakes, but they were from my own doing. I will, however, on the next one, move over the tucks in the front, as compared with the layout on the pattern.

boundbuttonhole.jpg

The pattern itself is strange. There are no facing pieces, and Im adamant about facing, so I had to make some for the neckline, sleeves, and back.I tapered the waist as compared with the finished garment size on the pattern and Im glad I did. The fit of the jimjams depends on how tight you tie the belt. The tighter the belt, the more you will get a bulge in the diaper looking back (BTW, these are NOT for wearing out and about as some ladies have suggested ;) ), the looser the belt, the more the back fold over will droop. *sheesh*

If you do make these, I suggest two sizes down from what the sizes say. More than that will give you monster ease, (like 7") because the sizing depends on how tight the belt is! :eusa_doh:

The legs do fit a bit diaper like, as seen in the picture on the pattern, but I am totally going to make more of these. I can see one every day of the week. They are awesome!

I used an old cotton sateen duvet cover for the red, and some cotton I just got. I have enough red duvet to make another pair. I think I will :)

LD

MissAmelina

A-List Customer
Those are some comfy and crafty looking jammies. Awesome. I'll need to make some for christmas morning! (Yes...June is when I start plotting next the next holiday season...it's a sickness....) But I'll need a pair or two BEFORE then, of course. So cute. Thanks for the sizing heads up.

I forgot to mention that Lauren's loungers are sweet too. Pajama party!

Miss 1929

Yay! PJ review!

Lady Day said:
fabric.jpg

Welp, I finally made the kitchen jimjams. I gotta say, Decades of Style patterns are THE MOST size accurate repo patterns I have ever worked with. A fantastic experience. Everything matched up, was sized correctly, and right of grain lines were spot on :eusa_clap These patterns are awesome!

front-6.jpg
back-2.jpg

Now, with that said, I made TONS of mistakes, but they were from my own doing. I will, however, on the next one, move over the tucks in the front, as compared with the layout on the pattern.

boundbuttonhole.jpg

The pattern itself is strange. There are no facing pieces, and Im adamant about facing, so I had to make some for the neckline, sleeves, and back.I tapered the waist as compared with the finished garment size on the pattern and Im glad I did. The fit of the jimjams depends on how tight you tie the belt. The tighter the belt, the more you will get a bulge in the diaper looking back (BTW, these are NOT for wearing out and about as some ladies have suggested ;) ), the looser the belt, the more the back fold over will droop. *sheesh*

If you do make these, I suggest two sizes down from what the sizes say. More than that will give you monster ease, (like 7") because the sizing depends on how tight the belt is! :eusa_doh:

The legs do fit a bit diaper like, as seen in the picture on the pattern, but I am totally going to make more of these. I can see one every day of the week. They are awesome!

I used an old cotton sateen duvet cover for the red, and some cotton I just got. I have enough red duvet to make another pair. I think I will :)

LD

Dear Lady Day, thank you so much for the details! I am going to be buying this pattern, and glad to hear about the sizing issues. Especially as I am usually 2 to 4 sizes different between my top and my bottom, this means i should get the smaller ones.
Do you think that the diaper effect fold-over in the back would be less obvious in a drapier fabric? I have a bunch or rayon jersey that I am considering using, in navy and sort of a french blue for the contrast. And I plan to make the contrast parts wave-shaped, for a nautical effect (Queen Mary wardrobe plans). Maybe it is the cotton that is making it bunchy?

Miss 1929

Lauren said:
I was going back and forth whether it was ballet shoes or espadrilles! Thanks so much for your input! You wouldn't happen to know where to get ones like that now, would you? Without a heel? I've been looking off and on for a pair and haven't found any yet!

I have been looking, and also only finding extremely high heels, they look a little too hoochie that way...

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Miss 1929 said:
Do you think that the diaper effect fold-over in the back would be less obvious in a drapier fabric? I have a bunch or rayon jersey that I am considering using, in navy and sort of a french blue for the contrast. And I plan to make the contrast parts wave-shaped, for a nautical effect (Queen Mary wardrobe plans). Maybe it is the cotton that is making it bunchy?

Go by the finished garment size, but Id say give yourself 5" of ease from that.
I too had to use different sizes of the same pattern, but it was an easy thing to alter.

The diaper look is unavoidable. Its the way the garment is made. The back is open (I sewed the opening up about 6") and the tie folds over the flap beneath. Its the bulk of the extra fabric and the wrapping effect of the garment. Its made to fit like an apron, not like a jumpsuit.

Still Im gonna make tons more :D

LD

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I made this whole thing today:

5132_94035384163_624014163_1984397_660566_n.jpg

From this:

n624014163_1557280_8107039.jpg

Waitress or Candy Striper? lol I'm going to go get an applique "A" for the chest area (in lieu of a pocket!) I also didn't take the belt into account when I put that bottom button on there :eek: Whoops!

miss_smith

One of the Regulars
Lauren said:

Well...you could get them in Provence, France where both men and women still sport them...but that is a bit of a hike. ;)

miss_smith

One of the Regulars
Lady Day said:
fabric.jpg

LD

Those are fantastic! I want some myself now. I have never heard of this pattern company, but I am so glad you mentioned them.

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
I have been wanting that Decades of Style pattern for ages. I am so glad to see it made up. I am still a little afread of what they will look like on me but I think I may give them a try. :eusa_clap

I made this skirt with out a pattern, the waist band came out to small even though I added ease for my waist I forgot that my rib cage measurment would be larger. I was originaly going to add rick rack trim and patch pockets but I put inverted pleats in fron instead of making it a full drindle skirt so I felt the extras would be too much.
2561722ce33c.jpg

This is a headband/turban made from fabric cut in a triangle and a little bit of elastic.
08a4af1fafc0.jpg
ba9a1dbe6917.jpg

This is straw sewn to a crinoline frame. it's a copy of a vintage hat that I couldn't afford. The straw is from a hat I took apart.
9920cbd7c2b3.jpg

A half hat that I am not sure if I like. I have no idea how to make it better though.
2851a76768a8.jpg

MissAmelina

A-List Customer
Yippie turbans!! :)

This is Simplicity 2782...The lovely and talented Amy Jeanne sold me the pattern---she has a couple versions in this thread too. It's not quite done yet, but close enough. Next time I think I'll cut the skirt on the bias to give it more drape and shape. It still needs a hem (just an inch or two) and a sash/belt.
I had difficulty with the making, as I was hurried. More on the 'ole blog.

simp30s.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW