Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us what you've made!

cailinbeag

Familiar Face
Amy Jeanne,

I think your trousers look great, but I understand how you feel. I made a pair of high waisted pants not long ago and had the same issue. I think it's that in order for me to pull off the look, I need to elongate my legs as much as possible, which the low crotch sabotages.

In order to get a vintage look, I've been considering taking a slacks pattern I know fits well, and re-drafting the waist to my natural waistline instead of the lower style that's common now. Also, I'll be ditching the cuffs in an effort to lengthen the look of the pants, and making sure that the hem hits only 1" above the floor when I'm wearing shoes with them. I don't know if those ideas might work for you as well.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
The lower crotch is how you get that great drape in the front (which is hard to get) in a lot of vintage style slacks. Play with the inseam and see what happens. You might find a perfect middle ground. :)

LD

SayCici

Practically Family
3733226641_c30f5e72ef.jpg

I know it's not a full picture but I finished this this morning (saved the hem for last!) from a pattern I got from Lauren's etsy store! I'll share a better picture once I've worn it to sit on an airplane for 8 hours and finally see my hubby!

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Amy Jeanne said:
kamikat -- I can give it a try, but the crotch hangs down way too low (like pyjamas.) I would feel like I was wearing MC Hammer pants to work lol

Try taking a horizontal fold halfway between the waist edge and the crotch and test on muslin. The crotch should be a little lower than modern pants to keep the nice lines, but not too low. My pattern is the Vintage Fashion Library pants and I ended up taking an inch out of the rise.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Thanks, gals. I'll see what I can do with them. I think they might be a size too big for me anyway.

In the meantime, the husband was away all weekend so I made these:

5209_104879124163_624014163_2154214_2101483_n.jpg

n624014163_1557280_8107039.jpg

I made it in pink earlier in this thread. I also bought a pattern-making book originally published in 1937. I recommend it -- it's very easy to understand and was written especially for beginners. The first patterns they have you make are cute little accessories. I made this:

5209_104577619163_624014163_2149257_2262699_n.jpg

The book:

5209_104180179163_624014163_2143439_967400_n.jpg

zendy

A-List Customer
I don't know if it's the same pattern as the rest of the gals, but here's my version on the 40's overalls. They are super lightweight denim with big brass buttons, and so comfy I've worn them 2 days straight, guess that means I'll be needing to make a few more.
overalls1.jpg

MissAmelina

A-List Customer
Those do look like the infamous dungarees, indeed! Great job!
And that waitress dress is to die for. As are Lauren's and Saycici's projects. It has been a few weeks since I made something...methinks it's time.

Everyone is sewing gorgeous summery stuff! Only a few weeks left....I caught the first whiff of autumn this morning in the pacific northwest!

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
SayCici said:
3733226641_c30f5e72ef.jpg

I know it's not a full picture but I finished this this morning (saved the hem for last!) from a pattern I got from Lauren's etsy store! I'll share a better picture once I've worn it to sit on an airplane for 8 hours and finally see my hubby!

YAY! I'm so excited to see! :) Happy visiting with your hubby!

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Thanks gals!

Zendy = those do indeed look like the overalls! And again, they look great on everyone! :)
SayCiCi = Can't wait to see the full creation!

Shirin

A-List Customer
lol Inky that's so funny~ I WISH I had an option to cook dinner or not. Luckily, I don't have to every night, and sometimes he will make dinner for us, but usually it's me. I never thought I'd become such a traditional housewife!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot