Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us what you've made!

Antje

One Too Many
swingkitten85 said:
08_12_09f.jpg

08_12_09n.jpg

I've been trying to fill some gaps in my wardrobe lately (hence the black skirt) and some new techniques (the 50s style felt hat), so I've been sewing a lot. Last week I made a skirt from a 40s Hollywood pattern. I had to adjust it a bit as the shaped waistband (the element that caught my eye with this pattern!), wasn't a waistband at all buy a separate belt! So I redid it so it was an attached waistband. The fabric used was a pretty piece of cotton jacquard I bought earlier this summer. I love the texture!

08_12_09c.jpg

08_12_09d.jpg

Last Friday I put together a 50s shallow pillbox style hat based on one I spotted on Ebay recently. I'm not usually a hat girl, but I really loved this one! The front and sides were covered with felt flowers--a detail that I loved! I ended up following a tutorial I had seen on Threadbanger for the basic construction of the hat.

I wrote more about both projects on my blog. :)

great job, I really love that dress,
and an adorable hat you are wearing,
makes me wanting to make one myself

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Ive just wanted to make this jacket for a while.

newyork1553.jpg

frontw.jpg

The trim, as instructed on the pattern, is actually a simple fold over that is folded over again, and sewn down. But silly 'ole me and my not paying attention had to make it all way more difficult than it needed to be.
The cuffs are crazy! But they turned out well.

sleevedetail.jpg

Its a white/cream linen, with a sheer crape type of polly thing for the lining. I think when I make the dress Ill make the bodice out of the crapey stuff.

LD

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
LD -- Love that dress. I surely hope you don't think it's "frumpy'!! It really looks 30s-as-heck!! And with your tats it makes a good contrast (I love the "librarian-with-tattoos" look!)

Everyone else has great stuff! I love the embroidery! I think I might have to learn that soon.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
hailey greenhat said:
LD it looks nice, love the sleeve detail, but the jacket seems shorter than pictured were you disappointed or did you expect this?

Its about an inch shorter than it should be cause I messed up. :eek: I also have more busty goodness than apparently the pattern allows, so I need to bring the front down another inch next time I make it up.

Kamikat, super cute apron!

LD

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Well I made my shirt.
I altered this bodice top from a mid 40s dress.
I Decided to go with my #2 choice in buttons, but I put white buttons on the second blouse I made from the pattern. I whipped up the pocket myself.

sueburnett80011.jpg
frontw-2.jpg
frontw-1.jpg

buttonblue.jpg
buttondetail-1.jpg

When I wear these out, Ill tuck in the shirt ;)

LD

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Kamikat -- Love that apron front.
LD -- That blouse is sweet. Everyone needs a basic 40s blouse!

Here's what I made recently:

5849_119798724163_624014163_2362487_1032905_n.jpg

5849_117244269163_624014163_2328108_6570210_n.jpg

My grandmother requested I make her an apron "out of scraps", but that is impossible for me! It needs to be just right, especially for mom-mom. Can't hand over some rag to her :eek: She'll probably refuse this because it's "too nice." lol

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
LD, VERY cute! You look fantastic!
AJ, I love that apron! Did you omit the gathers at the top, center front? How did you find the waistband? The reviews on patternreview.com all mention issues with the waistband. It's the main reason I have this pattern but haven't made it.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
The waistband on this SUCKS lol I had majour issues with the way the directions said (VERY VAGUE!) and just did it my way.

I sewed the front on like the directions say, then I sewed the back facing on the same way, but left the bottom completely open. I turned in the seam allowance on the bottom edges, stuck the ties about an inch or so into the ends, tucked under that seam allowance, the top stiched it shut.

I put the skirt part in matching the notches on the turned-under edge of the waistband and pinned the crap out of it, matching the top of the skirt to the top of the turned-under seam allowance edge. I then topstiched the entire bottom waistband closed.

I didn't do gathers in the skirt part -- The notches met up without them. I only gathered the bit on the skirt bottom.

As for the little gathering at the top, I didn't do it. I used bias tape (didn't make my own) and it was too bulky looking. I like it better straight, anyway :)

MarieAnne

Practically Family
Lady Day said:
Well I made my shirt.
I altered this bodice top from a mid 40s dress.
I Decided to go with my #2 choice in buttons, but I put white buttons on the second blouse I made from the pattern. I whipped up the pocket myself.

sueburnett80011.jpg
frontw-2.jpg
frontw-1.jpg

buttonblue.jpg
buttondetail-1.jpg

When I wear these out, Ill tuck in the shirt ;)

LD

I don't think I've ever seen your face before. You have such a beautiful smile!

MissAmelina

A-List Customer
Amy Jeanne said:
The waistband on this SUCKS lol I had majour issues with the way the directions said (VERY VAGUE!) and just did it my way. .

Amen, sister. I pulled out clumps of hair trying to figure it out. It took me well over an hour---and then I had to come back to it the next day. My husband was like, "What are you yelling about up there??" :)
When I discovered you have to sandwich the straps and bodice between the waistband and the facing, I was able to improvise. But trying to figure that out from the diagram was like doing calculus.
Your's turned out GREAT though, AJ! So did yours, Kamikat!
It's apron central around here!

Here's my rendition of B6567 (it has little doggies on it!):

1apron.jpg

The top looks crooked---I just forgot to pull it taut before snapping the shot. I left the bodice shirring/gathering off, as I did not like it. Other than the waistband it was a breeze to make....I look forward to making the other little aprons from the same pattern.

Lady Day---those are beautiful and flattering tops!

SayCici

Practically Family
LD, why on earth have you been hidin' that face! I love the blouses you made, the purple one is especially sweet with the white flowery buttons.

zendy

A-List Customer
SayCici said:
LD, why on earth have you been hidin' that face! I love the blouses you made, the purple one is especially sweet with the white flowery buttons.
I know, she is lovely! I thought the same think in the ladies/grandmothers thread

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran