Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us what you've made!

SugarKitten

One of the Regulars
Just got back from vacation and jumped back into the project I'd cut out before I left. Wow you folks are inspiring!

Cici, I love the pants, and the anchors are so cute!

NicoleAnn - that turned out So well! It looks like a great pattern too, totally dress up/dress down.

The contrast eyelet is an awesome touch crwritt I want to see it on you!

kamikat, I love pretty much everything you post up, but that top is SO flattering!

aylsarose

New in Town
Thanks for modelling Kamikat

i cant tell you how much I appreciate you showing how these different items look on a plus size woman. Its giving me courage to try new styles I wouldnt have before.
Im considering trying to sew my own so there is something in my size. My question is though, how do you measure and try to figure out how it fits on you and such?
Any suggestions for a VERY beginner seamstress to try that is flattering for plus size girl?

aylsarose

New in Town
Oh please share how I can make one of these

CherryRed said:
I finally gave up on trying to buy a $130 dress form and coerced DH into helping me make the duct tape dress form. I need to add more layers of tape but I am quite pleased how well it turned out. Plus her measurements match me perfectly!:D
3079379965_b243e2f071_o.jpg

This is such an awesome idea, how does a person go about make one. The few real dress forms Ive found at thrift stores I couldnt get the right shape out of.

crwritt

One Too Many
The contrast eyelet is an awesome touch crwritt I want to see it on you!

Here it is, complete with car, boat, lawn furniture and garden, I couldn't
figure out how to crop it.

31853_1136315585113_1744062716_256397_1617464_n.jpg

SheBear74

Practically Family
Crwritt! Wowzers, you look awesome!

OT... I was on such a sewing kick and now I can't find anything inspiring to sew... I need a cute dress/cover up for the beach but I can't seem to find any patterns I like. :(

crwritt

One Too Many
SheBear74 said:
Crwritt! Wowzers, you look awesome!

OT... I was on such a sewing kick and now I can't find anything inspiring to sew... I need a cute dress/cover up for the beach but I can't seem to find any patterns I like. :(

Thanks Shebear. I'm really happy with it, but digital camera self portraits I'm still trying to figure out. Maybe you have enough new outfits for awhile? I find if I make up too many new things at once, my enthusiasm for wearing them kind of lags. I've sewn for years and I must say,my favorite dresses have been a combination of: an inspiring pattern, just the right amount of "perfect" fabric,
a good fit without too much fuss, and a nice relaxed day to spend sewing them.
I have a pile of uncompleted projects that I may never finish, and quite a few finished, but not exactly favorite dresses in my closet. Its best to wait for inspiration, then those things just seem to fall into place.

Lottie

Familiar Face
SheBear, I have a folder on my PC where I put pictures that inspire me- a cute neckline in a movie screenshot or an interesting colour comination in an old fashion photograph etc... So that when I'm in this situation, I can have a look at it and maybe imitate that neckline or colour combination with a pattern I have. Maybe that's an idea for the future?

SheBear74

Practically Family
Thanks for the advice Ladies! I think I may have burned myself out a bit lol. I have a toddler so finding that quiet time to just sew is really hard. Usually I have to bring lots of toys into the room, so he can play while I sew. Which doesn't always work lol.

December

One of the Regulars
I was so into sewing but then I got diagnosed with Tietze's syndrome and until it passes, it's just too painful to do any sewing :(

My pile of unstarted projects is just getting higher and higher!

crwritt

One Too Many
December said:
I was so into sewing but then I got diagnosed with Tietze's syndrome and until it passes, it's just too painful to do any sewing :(

My pile of unstarted projects is just getting higher and higher!

It Tietze something like Lyme Disease? I had that last year, from a tick bite, and felt like I had the flu for about three weeks.

crwritt

One Too Many
aylsarose said:
i cant tell you how much I appreciate you showing how these different items look on a plus size woman. Its giving me courage to try new styles I wouldnt have before.
Im considering trying to sew my own so there is something in my size. My question is though, how do you measure and try to figure out how it fits on you and such?
Any suggestions for a VERY beginner seamstress to try that is flattering for plus size girl?

Start with a simple project, such as a skirt or maybe an apron. If you have
wide hips and a small waist, a flared or circle skirt would be good, if you are more straight up and down a slimmer,slightly flared or pencil skirt. Sizes for skirt patterns are based on waist and hip measurements. Dress patterns go by bust measure.

Vaihingen

New in Town
Top I made day before yesterday. My apologies that it's not in color! I wrote an action in photoshop to batch process a few photos I was going to send my fiance (he hadn't seen me with my middy yet) and I've lost the original this went to!:eusa_doh:

I sew a little bit almost everyday, so most likely I'll be posting more up here. A few of my pieces are from 190-1915, etc, so I'll leave those out.

backyard2.jpg

By the way, my middy's longer (my avatar shows the length) but I'd pinned it up that day.

Vaihingen

New in Town
aylsarose said:
This is such an awesome idea, how does a person go about make one. The few real dress forms Ive found at thrift stores I couldnt get the right shape out of.

Oh! Word of warning, they're awesome and very easy to make, but after a few uses the duct tape can stretch. I covered mine with paper-mache'd pieces of "The Lost World" lmao ;)

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Vaihingen, that's cute! Please post your earlier pieces, too! There's some of us that love any era :D

Your dress looks fab, crwritt!

aylsarose

New in Town
CherryRed said:
I finally gave up on trying to buy a $130 dress form and coerced DH into helping me make the duct tape dress form. I need to add more layers of tape but I am quite pleased how well it turned out. Plus her measurements match me perfectly!:D
3079379965_b243e2f071_o.jpg

With my sisters help today we made on of these. I was finding it especially hard to meassure and pin patterns together on myself. And since Im plus size its even harder to find a pattern that is made for my shape. I cant wait til my daughter is at daycare tomorrow so I can try it out
BTW is was super easy and super cheap to make.

NicoleAnn

Familiar Face
oh my goodness, i just made a duct tape body form of myself about 5 days ago! :p
its so easy!
and is perfect because it's your exact body shape. :)
i think everyone should have that kind of body form, cheaper and just right

ps:
i was thinking about mod podging news paper or torn magazine pieces to it to make it prettier :p

RockyHorror

One of the Regulars
I unfortunately don't have any full length pictures of my grad dress. It was absolutely crazy. It took over 300 hours of work, i loved it so much but i think it looks better in real life. Anyways, I'm on the right.
30887_10150357003520001_652220000_1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner