Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us what you've made!

SheBear74

Practically Family
crwritt said:
Another Swirl-a-Like. I love to sew, and I'm proud to show my efforts, but I'm not so photogenic!
34393_1190708464901_1744062716_371131_1654588_n.jpg

Well I think you look beautiful! The dress looks great, and I love the fabric!

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
That's lovely, crwritt! Amazing job matching the print to the pocket! Did you applique the print all around the neck, too? That's a great idea!

annet

One of the Regulars
Lauren said:
That's lovely, crwritt! Amazing job matching the print to the pocket! Did you applique the print all around the neck, too? That's a great idea!

DSC_0075-3.jpg

recognize this?
i finished it yesterday and it came together very easily. next i'll be guiding a friend (who is a total beginner) through it so we can be pants-sisters. the shirt is next on my list!

oh and apologies for the picture, i put the camera on the stairs to take timer-shots. the angle makes me look so tall (even though that might be he pants too, my brother was surprised to see i was wearing flat shoes since they make me look a lot taller)

crwritt

One Too Many
Lauren said:
Thank You ladies.
Lauren, This fabric was a circular border print, it looked like it might have been intended for a tablecloth if you were to cobble four sections together,
but somehow it didn't quite repeat, or come out exactly circular.
I'd laid it out a few times before I realized I was short on fabric, then happened to be in the store and found one last remnant of it.
This will probably get more wear in the summertime, since palm trees aren't native to Maine, we only wear tropical prints in an ironic sense.
I'd love to find some similar print with pine trees and pine cones, maybe a chickadee or two.

crwritt

One Too Many
MarieAnne said:
Thank you crwitt. Unfortunately I don't know the first thing about swing dancing. However, a very talented gentleman asked for a dance! He did all the leading and I just went along as best as I could. I really loved it! I wish they had lessons here.

We love to dance. My husband is of the opinion that every gal knows how, she just needs a good leader, so he tries to prove that theory again and again by asking all the new girls to dance, then of course he introduces them to me and they are somewhat crushed that he has a partner.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Wow, Annet, those look awesome! Yay! Well done! :eusa_clap

crwritt, I was just wondering the other day if they still made circular print fabric. Neat!

Jenniferose7

One of the Regulars
Kiri said:
I really want to learn to sew, does anyone have any idea of 1940s type patterns that would be easyish for beginners?

If you have been checking out any particular pattern and are curious about it, Pattern Review is a great resource. You can look up reviews from people who have actually used the patterns. A lot of repro patterns are on there with multiple reviews. :)

http://sewing.patternreview.com/

annet

One of the Regulars
Lauren said:

crwritt, I was just wondering the other day if they still made circular print fabric. Neat!

thank you for the pattern! i did crop my face out of the pic because i looked like an idiot. i've worn them for two days now and they are very comfortable, so much better than the skinny jeans i sued to wear... i also rediscovered a few short and fitted jackets with a 1940s thing going on, i used to love them but they looked out of proportion with my slim pants!

i'll let you know how it goes for my friend. she tried the muslin i made (we are about the same size) and it looked great on her.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
The trousers are from the infamous EvaDress overall/trouser pattern and the blouse is a combo of three different late 30's patterns.
5080777967_c765e7e741.jpg

crwritt

One Too Many

I'm a fan of border prints and circular border prints, so, I can tell you. I found some for circle skirts
at Walmart and JoAnn's a few years ago, but haven't seen any since. I think we just have to wait a few years until
the styles trend around again. The ones I've found lately I bought at an odd lots store, they have masses
of giant rolls of fabric and you can't really "See" until you have someone help you haul a 50 pound bolt off the rack.
It is all at least 5 years old, and may date to the 80's, although that's not truly vintage, its different enough for me.
I know they still have a big roll of this fabric
35774_1139325060348_1744062716_262288_6728148_n.jpg

four segments make a full circle.

crwritt

One Too Many
Super cute, Kami!
I think slacks are one the brain. :)

LD

Its getting chilly out. I wore a skirt yesterday, and my 76 yr old Mom commented on it.It took me so long to get
dressed, with long socks, which shoes? And do I need a sweater? We both agreed that dresses and skirts
were great for warm weather but when it starts getting cold slacks make a whole lot of sense.
I have lots of cute pictures of her
as a young woman looking adorable in a dress but she's chosen to wear pants daily since the late 70's
because she could, and because she finds it more convenient.

NancyLouise

One of the Regulars
Crwritt, this is why I want a nice flannel slip - hell, probably all the flannel undergarments I can get. I'm always too cold in anything though!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass