Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us what you've made!

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Thanks so much ladies! I finally got the belt made so I could finally wear the dress! Man there certainly is a shortage of belt buckles here!

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Pink, absolutely marvellous dress!

PS, they are going well, I think I have two weeks left? We've done zips, normals and concealed, dress hems, button holes and pattern adjusting, I have cut out a pair of shorts but not started tacking them together. I wanted to wear them on a shoot next weekend - not gonna happen!

sophia la shok

One of the Regulars
Idledame said:
Ok, this does not compare to some of the fabulous creations I've seen from the rest of you, but I decided I needed a pair of 1940's pants for the AirRaid event last week. The pattern is a 1934 pajama reproduction from evadress.com. I got a size 20 for my waist, and then ended up taking close to 5" off each pant leg! Got the material by the pound at SAS in Hawthorne a few bucks for 3 yards. I bought plenty in case of mistakes but the pattern was a total breeze! It looked like wool, and burn test at home showed it was wool! The silk charmouse blouse with padded shoulders I bought on sale in the 80's but it was huge on my 115 lb, 1980s body. Too beautiful to throw out for 20 years, it fit my 2008 body perfectly! Yea for never throwing anything away!
S4KAXucgKjP4j+8TknV5eavHaDLJbPb-0300.jpg

I thought it made me look dumpy(er) so at the last minute I ran out and bought a modern suit pattern and did the vest straight from the pattern, just adding an inch to the shoulders for the padded shoulders of the blouse and finished it 1/2 hour before the event.
bkH-sK-IBR858HeHQAwmjtFAiDl-J8lD0300.jpg

I think I look less dumpy and was warmer too. I'm wearing boots because it was raining and it was an outside event. The funny part is that my daughter (17yrs old) hated the pants, and the next day, Macys had a full page ad with almost the identical pants!

you know those are just my ideal trousers. i've been lookin for a pattern for something like that to no avail.

very nice. and the fit is perfect.
well done!

Honey Doll

Practically Family
My sheer dress

Finally... I started this last summer and just this past weekend found time and inclination to finish the hem! I loved this fabric...silk chiffon novelty print of ladies wearing hats and such....

img031.jpg

Here's a close up of the print...

img032.jpg

I'm going to have a covered belt made up as well.

Honey Doll

TackyAnnie

New in Town
First Vintage Creation

I love to shop for vintage clothing, but, I'm a swing dancer, and i've ripped several dresses dancing. Making my own clothing from vintage patterns was my solution... still look authentic without having to worry about splitting a vintage dress at the seams!

This is my first shot! I made the jumper and used a shirt I already owned. What do you think?

This is the pattern. Copyright 1943.
fe2e_1.jpg

Ta Da!
n38705262_32782724_8744.jpg

n9222217_34952493_8811.jpg

Mary

Practically Family
Idledame
I really like those trousers of yours. Have been looking at the very same pattern but haven't orderd it. Very nice fabric you have to. I'd like to ask you: How does it look from the back?

Do you think it suits suits those with a small or a big bottom?

M

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
TackyAnnie... Fantastic and welcome! I can only hope the dress I am making now turns out that well! It is kinda similar to what you made!

HoneyDoll... May I ask what pattern you used? That dress is phenominal!

TackyAnnie

New in Town
Always Room for Cake

Thanks ladies. It's good to be here!

Lolita- I want to see how your project turns out!

There is ALWAYS room for cake, I agree. The thread says what you've made.... you make cake, right? :)

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Honey Doll, wow! just lovely!

TackyAnnie, very cute!

Smuterlla, nom nom nom, that looks very yummy. Have you tried it yet? How was it? Is it just a vanilla sponge cake with jam and cream in between or something more special?

Snookie

Practically Family
Tacky Annie, that jumper is super cute! You should make it in every color. I made a similar jumper and get zillions of complements on it. Princess seams are so flattering.

FYI, if you're interested, my favorite fabrics for (swing) dancewear are crepes and gabardines, in rayon, wool or :eek: a poly blend (love to be able to wash and wear...). Look for fabrics with a nice drape, and your skirt will move beautifully. Wool crepe and gabardine isn't that much trickier to sew than cotton, and won't be as stiff.

Again, amazing job for a first go!

Idledame

Practically Family
Thank you Sophia. Honey Doll, that dress is wonderful! What pattern did you use? How was it working with that material? Tacky Annie, I hope you make the jumper out of wool or rayon. Snookie is right, it will drape so nice. Mary, I think the full leg trouser would look good on any rear end because it isn't tight--it just hangs straight down from the hips. It hides alot! Here's a side picture. I probably should have taken it in just a bit more, cause I have a flat butt, oh well.
pJau8uzFDjoFuY8bfGsrQtJrBLKHFu7o0300.jpg

Honey Doll

Practically Family
Pattern and fabric qs

Thanks for the lovely compliments ladies!

The pattern is a vintage one. I'll try and scan it later so I can post.

As far as working with the chiffon, it went together quite well. The only issue is that it does require all seams to be finished or it would fray dreadfully. I did french seams in the skirt and wherever else I could. Where the design didn't permit, I zigzagged over the raw ends of seams to prevent fraying.

Tacky Annie--lovely job on the jumper!

MMMMMM, cake.

Honey Doll

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot