Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us what you've made!

Antje

One Too Many
i saw some great things again,
It's a shame i can't find my cable of my camera, so i can't upload foto's
but my mom made me two snoods, a beige and a black one, and she made a baret in beige and a sweet little hat in black.

the patterns for the two hats where from a booklet from 1956 so it's so vintage a can be,
i love my mom that she just made it for me, because i love vintage so much

Last_Chael

One of the Regulars
imoldfashioned said:
Everyone's making such great stuff that it's inspired me to clean out my sewing area. I can't sew until I can get to the sewing machine after all!

Oh I'm having exactly the same problem!! Except that i currently don't have a sewing area :p I just moved interstate, so everything is still in boxes, and I don't have a table to sew on or anything! I cut out my dress on the lounge room floor and sewed it all together on the dining room table! I'm so inspired to be sewing dresses, but I just have no where to do it!

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
The dining room table is an essential sewing aid--I do all my cutting there too.

My sewing machine is in a back room that invariably becomes a dumping ground (I'm having a dinner party and have no time to clean--hmm...). Today I cleaned out the closet, went through the piles on the floor, refiled patterns, reshelved the books, found 2 dresses I have cut out and rediscovered some fabric I forgot I had.

Maybe tomorrow I can actually sew something together.

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Hehehe... I do everything on the floor. I cut, pin, sew and press all on the carpet! I don't even think I could sew properly if I wasn't hunched over the machine! :eusa_doh:

Honey Doll

Practically Family
Last_Chael said:

You'll have to excuse the raw edges on the sash, I just wasn't able to hem it! I was staying at my mum's place and she uses industrial machines, which scare the bejeebus outta me! I was glad I was at least able ot do the hem on my dress :p

Hope you like it!

Lovely Job! The color is very flattering on you.

Honey Doll

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Having fun with the pants again!
front-2.jpg
zipper.jpg

I decided to use zippers on the side cause its less trouble than the buttons, and its easier to go to the potty :eek:

pocket.jpg

Im having SO MUCH FUN with these inset pockets, you have no idea.
This is a polly blend fabric that is okay, but I also made a pair in black form a cotton twill and used crazy green vintage buttons on the pockets. So much fun.

LD

sophia la shok

One of the Regulars
Last_Chael said:
Oh I'm having exactly the same problem!! Except that i currently don't have a sewing area :p I just moved interstate, so everything is still in boxes, and I don't have a table to sew on or anything! I cut out my dress on the lounge room floor and sewed it all together on the dining room table! I'm so inspired to be sewing dresses, but I just have no where to do it!

I'm generally stuck because i have a sweet sewing machine and pile of vintage patterns but i'm scared to delve in, in case it involves overlocking. i have no idea about it, can definately NOT afford an overlocker and worry that if i try and finish everything off with a normal stitch that it will look tacky and badly made. and lets not even mention the fact that it wouldn't hold up for daily wear.
*cries*:(

mrswheats

One of the Regulars
sophia la shok said:
I'm generally stuck because i have a sweet sewing machine and pile of vintage patterns but i'm scared to delve in, in case it involves overlocking. i have no idea about it, can definately NOT afford an overlocker and worry that if i try and finish everything off with a normal stitch that it will look tacky and badly made. and lets not even mention the fact that it wouldn't hold up for daily wear.

The 2 1950's dresses I own (a rayon bengaline shirt dress and a cotton wiggle dress) have seams that are finished with pinking shears. And they're both store-bought, not homemade.
Don't let the lack of a serger (overlocker) deter you from sewing. There are plenty of ways to finish a seam without needing a specialty machine--french seams, flat-felled seams, and bias-bound seams just to name a few.

Now, I want to see pics of this pile of vintage patterns you have :D

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
sophia la shok said:

I sewed for many years before getting an overlocker. It can be done! Even today, I only overlock about half my projects because I hate to change the thread colors on the thing. (shhhh, most serger owners won't tell ya how much a pain in the you-know-what that is to do). For things I don't serge, I will trim down the seam allowance and zig-zag at the very edge. If you do the zig-zag so the needle goes off the edge of the fabric on the right hand side, the stitch with wrap around the edge very nicely. I'm almost finished with a dress that uses this technique. I can show you pics if you want.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
sophia la shok said:
seamguidelines.jpg

There are many, many ways to finish a seam. Depending on the fabric, you may not have to do anything.

This is a pic from a vintage pattern I have showing all the options you have without a serger. Granted, it may take you a bit longer, but no serger is not a handicap.

LD

Miss Crisplock

A-List Customer
If you are working with a vintage pattern there was no expectation that you would be using a serger!

There probably would not even ask you to zig zag. Which is another way to finish seams.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Finished a new dress in time for my trip. I'm not so sure I'll make another one. I think bodices with front darts are more flattering and the pleating on my rear end makes it look huge.
2293270499_a269b64254.jpg

2325393544_126791e5b9.jpg

I do, however, LOVE this sleeve. The angle makes it look tight, but in person, it isn't.
2324572439_25ce6c3acc.jpg

PS

A-List Customer
kamikat! kamikat!kamikat! it's just beautiful! thanks for some inspiration.

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
I just completely these slacks. It took me two days. I am unsure if I like them at this moment. I couldn't figure out the directions when it came to adding the side pockets, so I just ignored them and sewed up the sides. I think they give me a bit of camel toe as well. :( But that could just be from my amazing buldgy midsection. I don't know... I'll have to wait until later to fully decide if I like them or not.

P1130302b.jpg

P1130303b.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats