Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us what you've made!

Tenuki

One of the Regulars
Thanks ladies.

Kamikat - the largest size on the 30s day dress is 3XL, which is a 52-54" bust.

crwritt - I like your suggestion of contrast edging, as well as your use of it on the Swirl-esque dress, very nice. I concur with your advice to landolakesgal about the dress form. It has helped my fitting skills considerably.

I cranked out a pencil skirt this weekendhttp://farm5.static.flickr.com/4117/4851889651_2c977c993e.jpg. The skirt is actually finished, though the photo shows the skirt sans waistband.

crwritt

One Too Many
Here is a dress I made from Waverly home dec fabric, like a lightweight cotton canvas.
39645_1159910174963_1744062716_307820_3209070_n.jpg

Its been sitting on my sewing heap for a few months while I thought about
how to do the buttons.
Maybe you can see better in this picture, I used fabric loops and the tricky part
you can't see is that the zipper is hidden inside the pocket.
40498_1159910094961_1744062716_307819_1879301_n.jpg

Here again, Tenuki, the details are hard to see since its a busy print.
It fits like a glove.
I'm really enjoying wearing the swirlesque dress, I think I'll make more eventually.
I've had some offhand compliments on it,and my husband more than once jokingly
has peeked in the pockets looking for candy.

huntedrose

New in Town
Hi, I'm new here! I originally came here when I was researching zoot suits, and stayed to find like minds! I sew professionally and have worked small designers, but I'm trying to come up with my own designs right now, on an etsy size scale. I've spent the last half dozen years sewing for Asian Ball Jointed dolls, which are cast in resing and strung with heavy elastic cord. They pose amazingly, and most of mine are two feet or more in height, since they're considered 1/3" of human scale. I make real welt pockets, tailor jackets and use tiny vintage buttons with my functional buttonholes. I am looking forward to branching back into human garments again!

I just want to say that everything looks amazing, and I hope I can hep keep up the standards! I don't have any full size to show right now, but here's a Steampunk commission I did; the jacket is for another commission, but I needed an outfit to show it on that didn't look too odd! And here's a picture of a Sam Spade outfit I did for another commission. The suit under the trenchcoat is three piece, and I don't want to think about how many welt pockets there on it, including the back pockets on the trousers. The shirt has cufflinks. Yep, those are gloves! I searched for years to find thin stretch pleather for gloves, and now Jo-Anns carries it year around... ;)

I have made a bias cut beige 1920's silk dress for a doll that was a pain, because the customer could not clearly state what she wanted. I've done everything from motorclycle jackets to corsets in scale sizes!

And I worked for a corset maker, so I do those full size too!

Steampunkpiratecoat.jpg

HerrDrosselmeyersDollsitting.jpg

ss-hound.gif

HepKitty

One Too Many
kamikat said:
Here's my new skirt! My pattern is a 26in waist, so the grading was a major undertaking but I'm thrilled with the results.
4853622512_66d8a9a9d2.jpg

Kamikat you always look amazing, I wish I could sew like you!

Smuterella

One Too Many
spiff said:
Thanks all. I was especially happy that I didn't have to take in a bunch at the side seams like I seem to have to do with all the vintage patterns I've done so far. The only fitting I did was the darts in the back. Brownie points for a girl who is always super excited to finish a garment. It's like Christmas all over again!

closer+up.jpg

I found the buttons at the Antique Expo.

BoPeep - It was nice that the "perforated" pattern clearly marked out where they wanted you to make the stitches for the scallops. I had to clip five or six times into the seam allowances for each scallop and trimming it short to make everything round out.

I had to laugh when I saw this picture of original vintage 40's shorts. Scallops were a lil' tricky even then.
hobbes001.jpg

Next time I make this dress Swinggal I will make a copy. Which I should be doing anyway to preserve the original!

I'd love a copy too, its way above my ability right now but it is my size and something for me to work toward! I'll obviously pay you for your time and effort if you ever do make copies. :)

Tenuki

One of the Regulars
Huntedrose, nice work. I've been toying with making vintage outfits for my resin crew, but I'm buried in so many projects, I just don't want to add more to my list! I make my dollies wardrobe as well and credit the doll clothes with re-igniting my interesting in making my own clothes.

I'm not sure which is more adorable: your girl's corset or your boy in his trenchcoat and fedora. :eusa_clap

Christi.adell

One of the Regulars
kamikat said:
Here's my new skirt! My pattern is a 26in waist, so the grading was a major undertaking but I'm thrilled with the results.
4853622512_66d8a9a9d2.jpg

I really LOVE this outfit. Plus you look great! Your makeup looks so nice.

Lady Cecilia

New in Town
All you ladies make such amazing clothes it's taken me a while to get the courage together to show something I created... Unfortunately I am without camera for the moment so apologies for the terrible webcam images.

This is a dress I made to wear to a wedding with a close up of the fabric:
dress.jpg
dressfabric.jpg

Here's the same dress with the bolero I made to wear with it (and close up of fabric again) - I didn't make the belt:
bolerodress.jpg
bolerofabric.jpg

crwritt

One Too Many
Delightful dress,Lady Cecilia.
Palespider, it looks good! What pattern did you use?
Kamikat, I like your skirt. Grading things up can be an effort,
but in many cases its worth it. I have such a pile of too small patterns..
Your gored skirt would be interesting to make up in alternating bias cut stripes
for a chevron pattern, or with cording along the seams.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
You all have been making some stupendous stuff!
I put together this boudoir set of tap panties and a ruffled cap sleeve bed jacket. This was a little day project.

front-6.jpg

More pictures are on my site.

LD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner