Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us what you've made!

BoPeep

Practically Family
Thanks for the compliments, girls! And I do like turquoise (but it looks especially nice when set off by the red car in the background).

What a great showcase of outfits on this page! I think the Ladies of the Lounge have outdone themselves!! :D

Edit: okay, the previous page . . . :)

hotrod_elf

A-List Customer
BoPeep said:
Love the cloche, too, Lady Day! It just make the outfit!

I made a corset-style top from the evening gown pattern. Both tops are cotton with a back zip. The polka dot one is lined and has a built-in bra (per advice from this thread). The aqua top was made with scraps from the pencil skirt and a perfect excuse to use that crazy ginormous rick-rack!

IMG_2771.jpg
IMG_2793.jpg

8446001.jpg

She looks even better in person. Great job BoPeep. I can't remember if I told you on Saturday. I really need to go fabric shopping for those overalls. Knitting or Sewing tuff choice.

BoPeep

Practically Family
Thanks Elf!! How 'bout this - sew now, knit at Hunnert? lol I'll bring my needles if you bring yours! Pick something with a nice drape for those overalls.

hotrod_elf

A-List Customer
BoPeep said:
Thanks Elf!! How 'bout this - sew now, knit at Hunnert? lol I'll bring my needles if you bring yours! Pick something with a nice drape for those overalls.

Sounds like a plan. I think I might have to make two. One for winter and one for summer.

SheBear74

Practically Family
Inky said:
I've taken to making the hubby a new shirt for his birthday every year. This is Kwik Sew 3484 view C

5008670086_d90cf2f055_z.jpg

It coordinates with a shirt I had custom made this year by Kim of Jitterbuggin.

Inky, love love love the shirt and am now in search of the pattern! I made my husband and 3 year old son coordinating shirts, but had to modify the pattern myself. He is digg'in on those shirts right now so I want to make them more! Great job! Love his glasses too!

Inky

One Too Many
SheBear74 said:
Inky, love love love the shirt and am now in search of the pattern! I made my husband and 3 year old son coordinating shirts, but had to modify the pattern myself. He is digg'in on those shirts right now so I want to make them more! Great job! Love his glasses too!

Thanks SheBear! Kamikat turned me on to it and I'm just please hubby wants to wear shirts with buttons! Hopefully someday he'll let me make him up some of the mens 40's shirt patterns I'm hording but he doesn't like the styling (yet!).

His glasses are Shuron Ronsir Zyl and I love them too!

annet

One of the Regulars
wow, everything here looks great... i finished the muslin of the smooth sailing trousers, now i'll just have to wait for the next fabric shopping trip to start making them! until then it's only skirts :D

crwritt

One Too Many
A couple weeks ago I ordered some plain felt cloche hats from National
3845_main

3845_main
Only $9.95 and they come in a whole rainbow of colors. I got the hunter green and the camel.
60200_1185679179172_1744062716_363523_3679332_n.jpg

Now I need to stretch them just a little (big head, so much hair!) and trim them.
I experimented with pinning on a felt flower and a knit flower I made awhile back.
60200_1185679299175_1744062716_363526_6469645_n.jpg
/60200_1185679259174_1744062716_363525_5850464_n.jpg[/IMG]
60453_1185679019168_1744062716_363522_4553799_n.jpg
I'd also like to try some kind of ribbon trim, probably on the green hat.
60200_1185679219173_1744062716_363524_5786147_n.jpg

Any tried and true suggestions for stretching these hats about an inch? Do I have to soak them or can I steam them with the kettle?

BoPeep

Practically Family
Inky said:
I'm just pleased hubby wants to wear shirts with buttons!

Exactly!! lol Making over my husband's wardrobe (slowly and inconspicuously) one mechanics shirt at a time!!

Beautiful hats, crwritt! I love the look of cloches but I hate having my hair smashed! :(

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I made this blouse from my pattern and a friend snagged it up. I was happy with the way it turned out, though, so wanted to share :D
janelleblouse.jpg

Lottie

Familiar Face
The last two I made:

This one was pretty craptastic to fit, i.e. to stop it from making me look like a giant potato :D but looking at the pictures of the back now, I think I still have a lot of work to do... aaargh :(

IMG_3753.jpg

IMG_3757.jpg

(the pattern is butterick 7175)

This one I actually already posted in the "what are you wearing today?" thread a few weeks ago but oh well. I'v still got to figure out a way to fix the obvious gaping problem there.. (just adding a button would only split it into 2 gaping holes, I think :( )

IMG_3777.jpg

(the skirt pattern is from a 1953 Vobachs neue Moden magazine, for the top I altered its matching bolero.. )

crwritt

One Too Many
Lottie, these are lovely dresses! As far as fitting goes, I sometimes have the same trouble you're having with the brown one. It looks like you have the back waist measure a little too long.
I love the graphic contrast of the white one. To me, the top button looks like its straining. I would move it over a little and then add a row of little snaps to keep the bodice closed.

Lottie

Familiar Face
crwritt said:
Lottie, these are lovely dresses! As far as fitting goes, I sometimes have the same trouble you're having with the brown one. It looks like you have the back waist measure a little too long.
I suspected that, too! Still, I'm starting to wonder if I'm doing something terribly wrong- I'm somewhat taller than the average 1950s lady ( 5"7 ) and I had already shortened the back...

swinggal

One Too Many
Lottie said:
The last two I made:

This one was pretty craptastic to fit, i.e. to stop it from making me look like a giant potato :D but looking at the pictures of the back now, I think I still have a lot of work to do... aaargh :(

IMG_3753.jpg

IMG_3757.jpg

(the pattern is butterick 7175)

Very Joan Hollaway. Lovely.

NancyLouise

One of the Regulars
Lottie said:
I suspected that, too! Still, I'm starting to wonder if I'm doing something terribly wrong- I'm somewhat taller than the average 1950s lady ( 5"7 ) and I had already shortened the back...

Lottie, even if you're taller, you may still have a short back waist - could just be making up for it with long legs. I looked at a Simplicity sewing book I have from 1958, it lists back waist length on size 16 as 16 1/2", and size 18 as 16 3/4". Also, around 1958 Misses' patterns were targeted at an average height of 5'6" - only one inch away from you!

Either way I agree about the bodice being too long on your brown dress and to move the button over on the white one. Very cute dresses too! Good job :]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot